The TREMOR Towing Table

I'm sort of curious......how do they get the extra capacity?? From everything I've looked at and researched the 250 and 350 Tremors are the same underneath....4 inch axle, same springs and shocks (and no sway bar on the rear). Do they beef up the springs...add a sway bar ??
You're literally just paying for a sticker that has a higher capacity. It's marketing for Ford.

Regulatory for you as if you're over weight according to your sticker you could be cited and ticketed.

You're literally just paying for a sticker that has a higher capacity. It's marketing.

* Marketing and regulatory. As the GVWR's are magic numbers that have different implications in different states in so far as licensing requirements and registration fees.

And, to be fair, the Tremor Package is an exception since, otherwise, the F250 and F350 do typically have some physical differences.

The physical capacity of all of the trucks is the same, Ford just places a different Gross Vehicle Weight Rating on each vehicle for marketing and regulatory purposes.
IMHO that’s why you should get the 350. I understand that insurance in different states make a 250 cheaper. I also can’t see derating your GVWR on your trucks. I live my F350 but wish the 3052 payload capacity was higher. I didn’t want to give up on all the options I ordered. That winch will be hardly used but I’m so glad it’s on my beast. But it took stole about 180lbs off my sticker. Oh well. These Tremors kick ass. Enjoy your weekend my friends. It’s absolutely beautiful on Long Island today.
?????????
Don ?

IMHO that’s why you should get the 350. I understand that insurance in different states make a 250 cheaper. I also can’t see derating your GVWR on your trucks. I live my F350 but wish the 3052 payload capacity was higher.

In New York, a lot of guys I know chose 250's over 350's because their equipment trailers are rated at 15.9K# GVWR and they don't want the truck to put them over the magical 26K# GCVWR number which might have different licensing requirements.

I don't know that their assumptions are correct (@ccw and others have proven here that a lot of our common interpretations of state laws are inaccurate), but I do know this is why they do it.

In a lot of ways the F250 is the “easier” option as you can assume you don't have to figure any of this out…

In New York, a lot of guys I know chose 250's over 350's because their equipment trailers are rated at 15.9K# GVWR and they don't want the truck to put them over the magical 26K# GCVWR number which might have different licensing requirements.

I don't know that their assumptions are correct (@ccw and others have proven here that a lot of our common interpretations of state laws are inaccurate), but I do know this is why they do it.

In a lot of ways the F250 is the “easier” option as you can assume you don't have to figure any of this out…
Good point. My dealer was going to register my beast as commercial if I didn’t get a bed cap. All I had to do was to show a receipt for the purchase of a cap with my vin. If my truck had to be registered as commercial that would have been a NIGHTMARE for me. No parkway driving and in my town no parking commercial vehicles in the streets after 8 pm. I haven’t parked in the street yet but if I needed to I’d sure as shit wouldn’t want to be ticketed.
So I do see your excellent point. Thanks for sharing your wisdom with all of us. You are always quick to answer people’s questions. GOD BLESS you brother SOOP. ??????????

26,000 pounds combined GVWR (manufacturer GVWR) is the magic number for CDL. There can be exceptions if you’re only working intrastate, versus interstate, but generally it’s a safe assumption that up to and including 26,000 pounds combined GVWR you don’t need a CDL, 26,001 pounds or higher and you need one.

I am glad I am from New York, and NOT in NEW YORK!
To be clear, the whole 26,000 pound CDL thing applies to the interstate system and is a federal law. From there most (all?) states adopted laws for their local roads and highways that match or build on the federal law, so it’s far from just New York state with that requirement.

There’s also an exception to the 26,000 pound federal CDL requirement for RVs (which I disagree with, but I digress); however, some states still have their own licensing requirements that are less intensive than a full Class A CDL when driving/towing an RV and the combination exceeds 26,000 pounds GVWR.

So in summary: check the laws for your state for when a CDL is required, particularly if you’ll be over 26,000 pounds GVWR.

Any idea when the 2022 numbers will be available? I'm in the market for both a 2022 F350 Tremor and a RV, so I'm really anxious to know what my limits will be, in terms of trailer size/weight/type.

Jumping ahead for you, the pertinent numbers for a 2022 F350 are:

2022 F-350 TremorConventional Towing5th Wheel Towing
7.3L Gas15,00019,000
6.7L Diesel15,00019,000

(Edit) “5th-wheel tow rating limited to 5th-wheel hitch rating of 19,000 lbs.” so that's still the functional limit of 5th wheel towing. Gooseneck is higher but probably not relevant for your use case. All numbers are the same as 2021.

Last edited:
Soop and CCW, you two have done a fantastic job with this thread and topic. It has been most informative.

I am trying to decide if I want/need an F250 vs. F350. A couple of things I am reading on this forum and in this thread is that there is no physical difference between the F250 and the F350 Tremor? I believe I read the F250/F350 Tremors have a smaller sway bar in the front, softer shocks than a regular F250/F350 and no sway bar in the rear? Is this what sets them apart? I would assume the tires play big part of it as well? If not, what does?

I'm strictly wanting to go back to a gas engine, 7.3L. My current setup is a 12,000 mile RAM 2500 Cummins. Pulls like a locomotive. I just like the Tremor and want to get away from diesel. Before I bought the RAM pre-pandemic I visited my Ford dealer that I have purchased my last two vehicles from to order a Tremor. They took my information and the info from my then truck that I was going to trade in and never called me back. I needed a truck to get the 5'r home and to use. I found my RAM in another town local and bought it. My 5'r weighs 8900 lbs and is 33 ft long. Pin weight is around 13 to 1400 lbs if I remember correctly. I use a B&W Companion slider that fits in my goose neck hole. I will be transferring the B&W slider over to the Tremor. I'll just need to buy the under bed frame mount. We have no intention of going bigger in the 5'r as it limits us greatly on where we like to go camping. I do not take any water with us and our cargo is minimal. Just me, the wife and two camping dogs! The only thing I place in the bed of the truck is a small green egg type smoker. I even swapped out the huge propane bottles and placed two twenty pound bottles in their place as we use these for cooking only.

Suggestions or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Do you have to select one of the payload options when ordering a truck? I have a F350, 6.7 with the 11,500# ordered. Can you order with out that? If so what's the payload then? Just looked on Fords build site and it didn't make me select that option. Is the 11,500# a derate for an F350? I want the highest payload possible, have Ag exemption… Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you have to select one of the payload options when ordering a truck? I have a F350, 6.7 with the 11,500# ordered. Can you order with out that? If so what's the payload then? Just looked on Fords build site and it didn't make me select that option. Is the 11,500# a derate for an F350? I want the highest payload possible, have Ag exemption… Thanks!
I just placed an order for a 22 F350 Lariat Tremor and asked the dealer this very question. The answer is that 11500# is not a derate and is the highest payload capacity on the F350 Tremor.

Soop and CCW, you two have done a fantastic job with this thread and topic. It has been most informative.

I am trying to decide if I want/need an F250 vs. F350. A couple of things I am reading on this forum and in this thread is that there is no physical difference between the F250 and the F350 Tremor? I believe I read the F250/F350 Tremors have a smaller sway bar in the front, softer shocks than a regular F250/F350 and no sway bar in the rear? Is this what sets them apart? I would assume the tires play big part of it as well? If not, what does?

I'm strictly wanting to go back to a gas engine, 7.3L. My current setup is a 12,000 mile RAM 2500 Cummins. Pulls like a locomotive. I just like the Tremor and want to get away from diesel. Before I bought the RAM pre-pandemic I visited my Ford dealer that I have purchased my last two vehicles from to order a Tremor. They took my information and the info from my then truck that I was going to trade in and never called me back. I needed a truck to get the 5'r home and to use. I found my RAM in another town local and bought it. My 5'r weighs 8900 lbs and is 33 ft long. Pin weight is around 13 to 1400 lbs if I remember correctly. I use a B&W Companion slider that fits in my goose neck hole. I will be transferring the B&W slider over to the Tremor. I'll just need to buy the under bed frame mount. We have no intention of going bigger in the 5'r as it limits us greatly on where we like to go camping. I do not take any water with us and our cargo is minimal. Just me, the wife and two camping dogs! The only thing I place in the bed of the truck is a small green egg type smoker. I even swapped out the huge propane bottles and placed two twenty pound bottles in their place as we use these for cooking only.

Suggestions or am I missing something?
Just my 2 cents, but I see no reason for a 350 over a 250 Tremor in your case (or really most cases). It has been discussed quite extensively, but the trucks are virtually identical. One thing that doesn't get much attention in these discussions is the 3" receiver vs 2.5" (I'm not sure about Tremors, but I am fairly certain that non Tremor 250s get the 2.5 and 350s get the 3), I could see the 3" causing headaches. Other than that, for non-Tremors there may be some differences in axles, gear ratio options, badging, sticker ratings and most importantly the rear suspension (the rear suspension for the Tremor is identical 250 or 350). Anyway, from a capability point of view, the Tremor 250 and 350 are identical. Unless you need the sticker to stay legal if you are hauling/towing heavy stuff (especially as a business) then you'll want the 350 (and probably a CDL). The problem is that you might inadvertently turn a perfectly legal rig into an illegal one by getting the 350 and it's associated higher ratings. This is the reason that I went with a 250 (although mine is a non-tremor), I won't have to worry about hitting the magical 26000# limit but the truck will be every bit as capable as the 350 with some minor suspension improvements. Note - when I reference "capability" I mean how the truck will actually perform, not what it's rating. @soop and @ccw please feel free to pick this apart.

Just my 2 cents, but I see no reason for a 350 over a 250 Tremor in your case (or really most cases). It has been discussed quite extensively, but the trucks are virtually identical. One thing that doesn't get much attention in these discussions is the 3" receiver vs 2.5" (I'm not sure about Tremors, but I am fairly certain that non Tremor 250s get the 2.5 and 350s get the 3), I could see the 3" causing headaches. Other than that, for non-Tremors there may be some differences in axles, gear ratio options, badging, sticker ratings and most importantly the rear suspension (the rear suspension for the Tremor is identical 250 or 350). Anyway, from a capability point of view, the Tremor 250 and 350 are identical. Unless you need the sticker to stay legal if you are hauling/towing heavy stuff (especially as a business) then you'll want the 350 (and probably a CDL). The problem is that you might inadvertently turn a perfectly legal rig into an illegal one by getting the 350 and it's associated higher ratings. This is the reason that I went with a 250 (although mine is a non-tremor), I won't have to worry about hitting the magical 26000# limit but the truck will be every bit as capable as the 350 with some minor suspension improvements. Note - when I reference "capability" I mean how the truck will actually perform, not what it's rating. @soop and @ccw please feel free to pick this apart.

I think I’m following you. The 250/350 are mechanically identical, and the gas/diesel are both capable well beyond the capabilities of this platform, so it comes down entirely to ratings/legalities.

In which case, it seems clear the 250 is rated for working within CDL limits and the diesel/350 is rated for working at the platform limits.

In either case, the limits are much lower than they appear based on GCWR.

And in either case, if you’re towing an RV, rules and ratings become much more ambiguous. To the point that the choice almost doesn’t seem to matter.

All of that said, the Tremor has the most puzzling/convoluted ratings of any trim on the platform. So I’d say if you’re super worried about legally maximizing tow capacity, a Tremor probably isn’t the right choice.

One thing that doesn't get much attention in these discussions is the 3" receiver vs 2.5" (I'm not sure about Tremors, but I am fairly certain that non Tremor 250s get the 2.5 and 350s get the 3)
I thought that was a diesel (3") vs. gas (2.5") distinction, not 250 vs 350? I would have to dig up the order guide to verify...

I thought that was a diesel (3") vs. gas (2.5") distinction, not 250 vs 350? I would have to dig up the order guide to verify...

You’re right.

@LongBedTremor is right that the 3” provides no advantage over the 2.5” on the Tremor since all configurations have a conventional tow limit of 15k.

So the 3” is nothing but an inconvenience today.

I can only guess Ford added the 3” as another marketing point.

According to BulletProof it looks like 350 gassers get a 3", I dunno, I didn't even know a 3" was a thing until recently...

"The Ford Motor Company changes the receiver tube size on its F-250 Diesel and F-350 and up trucks to 3”

Latest Discussions

Back