I am too far down the road on my whiskey journey for a change in strategy to make sense for me. I know a few people who have a narrow set of distilleries and specific bottles in their collections, favoring quality over quantity. They like what they like and keep a good inventory of those bottles on hand. Ain't no shame in that game.
I've taken more of the explorer approach, favoring variety which has led me to getting everything from many of the "must haves" as well as bottles that are off the beaten path. The problem for me about having back-ups is I will likely never get to drinking them and they end up on my gift shelf. Sounds a bit ridiculous to say that, but to put it into context, if I drink 2 oz of whiskey a night it would take me (alone) over 24 years to consume the bottles I currently have. That presumes I never take a night off or do not add any additional bottles to the collection. I'll admit I have a stupid amount of whiskey in the house, but its a fun (albeit expensive) hobby that my wife and friends also enjoy.
With the Grand Reserve sale, I'm really trying to figure out if its worth it to stand in line to get a nice bottle (limit 1 per member) for a future gift that is more difficult to find or are even more expensive on the secondary market.