Tell me about your favorite whiskey or bourbon

Mail call... 😁
1000026643.webp
 
Nice! Those Penelope estate bottles can be really great. Out of a blind I did with 16 different 10 year bottles, the Penelope 10 year estate collection was top 5, beating quite a few other ones (including Michter's 10). If I recall, the Old Fitzgerald 10 year BiB was first, Eagle Rare Single Barrel second, Penelope third, Jack 10 fourth, and New Louisville Hazmat MGP fifth.
 
Looking forward to it. I have the Barrell Craft Spirits Triple Rum Cask Finish Hazmat sitting in my cart. If it's still available when shit mellows, will grab that to go with the Decade.
 
Last edited:
Looking forward to it. I have the Barrell Craft Spirits Triple Rum Cask Finish Hazmat sitting in my cart. If it's still available when shit mellows, will grab that to go woth the Decade.
The Triple Rum Cask doesn't seem to be selling well and I'm not sure why. It could be because rum cask finishes can be too sweet for some (like tequila Cask finish it is definitely a preference thing).

Total Wine also had the rum cask as part of the concierge program and it's the first bottle I've seen them offer up twice (usually offers sell out in the first pass).

I'm interested in trying it, but have also slowed down on acquisitions as I just have too many bottles and want to also put discretionary income to other hobbies, so I passed on both those as well. If you decide to get them, let me know if I made a mistake 🤪
 
Can someone educate me on tin cup? How about makers mark? Looking to get a bottle of something for a friend of mine, both caught my eye at the grocery store.
 
The Triple Rum Cask doesn't seem to be selling well and I'm not sure why. It could be because rum cask finishes can be too sweet for some (like tequila Cask finish it is definitely a preference thing).

🤪
My wife got me the Angel's Envy set for father's day with the port finished bourbon and rum finished rye. I enjoyed the rum finished rye, so may give the Barrell a try.
 
OKI Trilogy, Frank August Small Batch and Holliday Rickhouse proof for the Friday score :cool:

View attachment 145853
I second the Frank August. A client recently gifted me a bottle of the Frank August small batch. Amazing, so smooth and flavorful. Now we joke if it’s been a day, we will have a meeting with Frank. Really recommend trying a bottle.
 
Makers Mark was my first whiskey. It's not that good, but I have had much much worse.
 
Can someone educate me on tin cup? How about makers mark? Looking to get a bottle of something for a friend of mine, both caught my eye at the grocery store.
What questions do you have about Makers?

For Tin Cup a review on Reddit provided a nice summary. In short, there's likely better whiskey to be had for the money, but here's the details from the Reddit review and one from Breaking Bourbon below that:

Once the whiskey critics finish having their way with Templeton, I can only assume that Jess Graber’s TinCup Colorado Whiskey is going to be next on the docket.

Why?

Because good lord is the promotion behind this stuff a study in misleading the consumer. With five-plus mentions of “Colorado” on the bottle and promotional tag, TinCup makes a big deal of the fact that it’s “made with pure Rocky Mountain water” in Colorado. But that’s—at best—a half-truth: TinCup is another non-distillery product (NDP) produced by MGP/LDI, and the only point at which that “Rocky Mountain water” comes into the equation is when the finished whiskey is shipped to Colorado by the tanker-ful, where it’s watered down and bottled at the Stranahan’s facility in Denver.

(Which, by the way, raises some serious issues of ecological ethics—as a couple commentators across the web have already pointed out before me—given that 1. Proximo, the company responsible for this stuff, has a bottling facility literally right next door to LDI, so what a waste of resources transporting the stuff well over 1,000 miles, but also 2. Isn’t Colorado a state that gets little rain-fall and is constantly facing periods of drought or wildfires? But I digress.)

The company and the guy responsible for TinCup (Jess Graber, formerly of Stranahan’s) contend that they’ve always been forthcoming with answers about their source, but some quick research tends to suggest that that’s only true if you happen to be asking precisely the right questions. As matters stand, the company’s website dodges admitting that they don’t have a distillery themselves, misleads about whether this stuff qualifies as “bourbon” (it does—or it should, anyway, unless they’re not telling us something, though at this point I suppose that’s entirely possible), offers a description of how “we” make whiskey, and when they do acknowledge being sourced, they do so under the guise of deliberately seeking out and choosing to celebrate the grains that the Midwest is famous for. As opposed to, you know, not having a choice.

If there’s one thing TinCup has going for them in spite of all that, it’s that at least TinCup isn’t sourcing a standard recipe from LDI—rather, they at least got (modestly) creative by pairing two different LDI high-rye bourbon recipes to get a mashbill of 64% corn, 32% rye, and 4% malted barley.


A review on Breaking Bourbon summed up Tin Cup as follows:

Tincup’s packaging and marketing is really good, maybe a little too good. While my initial inclination is typically “great marketing is there to hide bad whiskey,” I have to remember that the target market for many whiskeys is not necessarily me. Moreover, effective marketing and nice package design should be embraced with any product type, and whiskey is no exception. Pulling past that, the price is surprisingly low given the look and feel of the bottle. There’s nothing wrong with the whiskey either, it’s completely serviceable and even slightly interesting, it’s just quite thin and light ultimately doing little to leave a lasting impression. However, if you prefer a lower proof and enjoy sweeter whiskeys, this is for you.
 
Great reply @DTX2023Tremor!

Tin Cup is just thin and light, doing little to leave a lasting impression. 👎

However, my wife & I do like Makers Mark, it’s a good daily drinker.
If it’s for a gift, get Makers Mark 101. 👍
 
How about makers mark?
I was thinking about this over the weekend. Maker's Mark is a wheated bourbon, so going to be a little bit of a different experience than the typically Corn/Rye/Barley mash bills you get from the other large distilleries. Buffalo Trace produces a similar wheated bourbon with their Weller line-up.

The standard Maker's bottlings are fine whiskies and good for new whiskey drinkers who want to get try a wheated bourbon. They won't knock your socks off, but they also won't offend. Maker's 101 is a good bourbon for cocktails, and I also suggest giving Maker's 46 a try as they finish it with French Oak staves which adds a nice twist to the foundational Maker's product. The Cask Strength is also worth trying if you like higher proof whiskies. Most of the core Maker's products are going to be 5 - 7 years old.

Where Maker's stands out is with wood finishing where I think they've lead the way (particularly for a large distillery). Their private selection bottles will show you the different staves they've added to the barrel to bring different flavors to the final product. In 2019, Maker's started a Wood Finishing series, releasing 2 - 3 different editions each year. The past 2 years, it has been just a single edition as they also started a parallel series called the Lost Recipe. This in addition to their Cellar Aged series shows how Maker's is seeking to evolve and experiment with different finishes and aged products.
 
IMG_7286.webp

Reviews are surprisingly good on this one, and it’s cool AF! @Rodd187 you need one of these!
 
Last edited:
We have our final planning conference for the family trip to Ireland tomorrow. I figured I had better prep for it 😊
Ohhhhh I see what you did there. You prepped for your trip by painting the lower half of the walls green. Excellent my friend! Have a safe trip and post some pics of Tremors if you see any! 🤪
 
Trying to make my way through 22 cigar blends today. 1/3 of the way through
.. wish me luck 🤪
1000026862.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom