Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Calibration

If someone and whoever figures this out will be a god. David from S&B said he has talked to ford engineers on this issue and they don’t really have much clue on it really. People that mad this 5 years ago probly done work there or in that department anymore blah blah. If someone can figure it out in forscan or come up with a dummy plug got the little electric motor something lol
I know many girls with bags of dummy plugs. Send me a DM to order some 🤪.
 
If someone and whoever figures this out will be a god. David from S&B said he has talked to ford engineers on this issue and they don’t really have much clue on it really. People that mad this 5 years ago probly done work there or in that department anymore blah blah. If someone can figure it out in forscan or come up with a dummy plug got the little electric motor something lol
As with everything now a days I'm sure its some stupid software issue and Ford just can't admit it as it would be a fortune to fix it. And since its not a safety issue they aren't gonna be forced to fix it either. I'm a huge Ford guy as all of my company vehicles and all of my past 5 trucks have been Ford but the recalls as of lately are a bit ridiculous. And once they admit it one time it opens the ole can of worms so good luck seeing that happen.
 
Go back and read the very first post. My ETA in bold explains the Evasive Steering. Turn it off after going through the IVD sequence @Optimus🤖 has been mentioning. 2024+ do not have a simple SWA reset as prior years.

If the Evasive Steering being turned off works for you, you can turn it off in Forscan. I have now fixed three different trucks by following these steps. All had the same issue with the random hard pull when going through a curve.

@MX45 I'm afraid you likely still have another issue since the SWA is reading that far off.
 
Last edited:
As with everything now a days I'm sure its some stupid software issue and Ford just can't admit it as it would be a fortune to fix it. And since its not a safety issue they aren't gonna be forced to fix it either. I'm a huge Ford guy as all of my company vehicles and all of my past 5 trucks have been Ford but the recalls as of lately are a bit ridiculous. And once they admit it one time it opens the ole can of worms so good luck seeing that happen.
Well I tried to attempt the re write to disable the pull drift and I just get an access denied write failed. I think ford has that locked out from forscan using it ugh
 
Still no luck, I’ve tried all in this thread and it just randomly drives terrible today I felt like I was fighting it bad on the highway. It’s making me not like the truck more and more
 
I'm sorry to hear my friend. Have you tried going into your SYNC screen and completely disable Lane Keeping, Evasive Steering Assist, and Pre-Collision Assist?

Turn them all off and leave them off for a highway run. If the truck still fights you with those disabled, we can safely rule out the camera/sensor inputs and focus entirely on the hardware and the EPAS motor.
 
I'm sorry to hear my friend. Have you tried going into your SYNC screen and completely disable Lane Keeping, Evasive Steering Assist, and Pre-Collision Assist?

Turn them all off and leave them off for a highway run. If the truck still fights you with those disabled, we can safely rule out the camera/sensor inputs and focus entirely on the hardware and the EPAS motor.
Yes I disabled the evasive in forscan and have all those turned off. It’s was really bad today but the two days before it was not bad. The only things I’ve done that I’m questioning is I have the dual fox stabalizers and I took them off and put the single OEM one back on and it seems to feel better but not 100 percent sure. I did 1 degree caster bushings could those be binding the ball joints? Idk. I really feel like it’s the epas system but trying to rule out components I added too. I wonder if the dealer can turn off the drift compensation in fdrs. They say the steering angel read zero on fdrs but my forscan shows 16 degrees to the right is zero in the abs module which idk if that’s accurate to fdrs.
 
Yes I disabled the evasive in forscan and have all those turned off. It’s was really bad today but the two days before it was not bad. The only things I’ve done that I’m questioning is I have the dual fox stabalizers and I took them off and put the single OEM one back on and it seems to feel better but not 100 percent sure. I did 1 degree caster bushings could those be binding the ball joints? Idk. I really feel like it’s the epas system but trying to rule out components I added too. I wonder if the dealer can turn off the drift compensation in fdrs. They say the steering angel read zero on fdrs but my forscan shows 16 degrees to the right is zero in the abs module which idk if that’s accurate to fdrs.
Dude, you just dropped a massive clue that completely change the diagnostic path here. Don't give up on the truck yet—you are incredibly close to isolating this.

Regarding the dual stabalizers: Standard Fox stabilizers are high-pressure nitrogen gas-charged. Because of this pressure, the shock shafts constantly want to push outward. Depending on how those duals were mounted, they were likely applying continuous physical pressure against your steering linkage, causing a constant pull. The EPAS system feels that pull and uses Pull/Drift Compensation to fight back. The fact that the truck drove better when you put the "dead" OEM stabilizer back on is a massive red flag that the Fox stabilizers were inducing an artificial steering pull. (If you want to upgrade later, you need a true "Through-Shaft" or ATS stabilizer that has neutral steering pressure).

Absolutely trust the FDRS reading of 0.0°. As we figured out earlier, FORScan is just misinterpreting the data block on your '26 and giving you a ghost 16-degree reading.

As for Pull/Drift Compensation, the dealer cannot permanently disable it, but they absolutely need to clear/reset the learned values. Think about it: your truck's computer spent the last few weeks learning how to fight the outward push of those gas-charged Fox stabilizers and whatever physical stiffness might be in the ball joints. Now that you removed the Fox setup, the computer is still applying that learned correction!

Leave the Fox stabilizers off, verify you don't have physical ball joint bind from the caster shims, and have the dealer wipe the Pull/Drift Compensation memory one more time so the EPAS can start with a clean slate based on the OEM stabilizer. You've almost got this dialed.
 
Anyone get any further on these steering issues? Anyone found a fix or route to try
 
Sounds like @cayenne process is gonna be the best option to resolve, or at least mitigate, the issue.

I took my truck back in and asked them to reset the Absolute angle as @Optimus🤖 suggested. Prior to leaving the lot I checked in Forscan and nothing was changed and it still had the same reading. Went back in and finally spoke with the tech and asked why it wasn't reset as requested. He proceed to tell me that FDRS doesn't have an 'Absolute Steering Angle' reading and that the closest thing in it was 'Offset Angle' but since there were no additional DTC codes the angle being read must not be an issue. I still had Forscan connected so he saw and acknowledged the reading and even agreed that it would make sense for it to be at 0.0 when the wheel is centered but stood on his previous belief that as log as there are no codes related to the SAS affected systems it's not really a problem.
Overall I don't think he had a tremendous amount of knowledge on the systems and if there isn't a code he can follow in a guide he just doesn't know. He had a blank look when I mentioned doing an IVD initialization so I didn't hold a lot of hope after that. He did say he reset the pull/ drift compensation so once I can get back on a road that allows me to test the pulling issue I guess I'll know if its any better or not.

Somehow my Lane Keeping is working again now even though they say they didn't do anything different than what I did.
 
Last edited:
has this been an issue on new lower trim trucks, ie... lariat ultimate/premium?

i had this issue on my 2020 platinum. all i did was pull the EPAS? fuses and the problem resolved
 
has this been an issue on new lower trim trucks, ie... lariat ultimate/premium?

i had this issue on my 2020 platinum. all i did was pull the EPAS? fuses and the problem resolved
Did you pull for good or just to reset
 
Yes I disabled the evasive in forscan and have all those turned off. It’s was really bad today but the two days before it was not bad. The only things I’ve done that I’m questioning is I have the dual fox stabalizers and I took them off and put the single OEM one back on and it seems to feel better but not 100 percent sure. I did 1 degree caster bushings could those be binding the ball joints? Idk. I really feel like it’s the epas system but trying to rule out components I added too. I wonder if the dealer can turn off the drift compensation in fdrs. They say the steering angel read zero on fdrs but my forscan shows 16 degrees to the right is zero in the abs module which idk if that’s accurate to fdrs.
Is it just the plain english IPC write to Disable evasive steering permanently or is there a second module setting also?
 
Is it just the plain english IPC write to Disable evasive steering permanently or is there a second module setting also?
I only found the one spot that said evasive steering and once I turned off in forscan it doesn’t show in the radio settings anymore. It doesn’t seem to have done anything to me
 
has this been an issue on new lower trim trucks, ie... lariat ultimate/premium?

i had this issue on my 2020 platinum. all i did was pull the EPAS? fuses and the problem resolved

Pretty sure EPAS doesn't/didn't exist on those model yearsas we had Adaptive Steering and Electronic Steering Assist.

Two way different systems......As they SOUND the same....Google doesn't help us either with bad info.

Not sure where it's been found the Steering Angle reading MUST be 0*....I might not be up on the findings in this thread. When I see problems like this being discussed I first try to find out what Ford says it should be versus what I THINK it should be. If anyone is in NWFL or Lower AL having this problem PLEASE contact me.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
Pretty sure EPAS doesn't/didn't exist on those model yearsas we had Adaptive Steering and Electronic Steering Assist.

Two way different systems......As they SOUND the same....Google doesn't help us either with bad info.

Not sure where it's been found the Steering Angle reading MUST be 0*....I might not be up on the findings in this thread. When I see problems like this being discussed I first try to find out what Ford says it should be versus what I THINK it should be. If anyone is in NWFL or Lower AL having this problem PLEASE contact me.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
i'm not sure exactly what it was called on that 2020. IIR i pulled 2 fuses on the the passenger side, possibly one in the cab and one in the engine bay. i don't remember exactly
 
Appreciate this. At this point It doesn't seem I can F**k it up and make it worse so I'll just do the resets myself. It's concerning if part of the calibration should have been to reset the ASA and it still reads off whether they actually calibrated the cameras or not also.

This is why I love these forums. Access to actual experts and their knowledge which I find is typically far better than the so called "experts" at the dealership.
I found a fix and it’s wild I put tape on the windshield camera and the truck drives amazing not joking. It’s something with the camera
 
I found a fix and it’s wild I put tape on the windshield camera and the truck drives amazing not joking. It’s something with the camera
Very interesting! Any pics to share? I'm glad something worked you.
 
Very interesting! Any pics to share? I'm glad something worked you.
I just took electrical tape and covered the small triangle where the windshield camera is. The last 3 days the truck has never drove better. There is a pop up the the camera has low visibility and the function that go with it like auto high beams, adaptive cruise pre collision won’t work. But drives even tension both ways on the steering wheels. It has to be a software calibration issue and just doesn’t jive on some of the trucks for some reason
 
Back
Top Bottom