Steering Wheel Angle Sensor Calibration

I can't seem to freaking win on this problem. After having the shop do the 'All Systems Reset' i took it on a 4 hour drive to my Daughter's graduation-Go Noles!!. And for the first 50 miles or so it was no better at all but as the drive went on it did seem to get better and I thought it may have actually been fixed. Well it wasn't, not really anyways. Just periodically the truck would start to fight me and try to overcorrect the same as it has been doing. When I got home last night I throw Forscan back on and it still shows the Absolute angle as the same -304.9 so I'm guessing that is not part of the process Ford did. Although they did do the tire size change so I know they were in it at least as the speedo matched my app.
What is weird is that I started playing around with the Lane Keeping system and when I changed the alert the wheel vibrated but I could not get it to respond when it should have crossing lines regardless of what mode I was set to. Now for the embarrassing part-I'm not sure it was ever actually working. I've been so focused on this problem that I don't recall ever noticing a vibration before.
Just wanted to update that it's getting better but still a problem. Guess I'm gonna take it back to Ford to have them test the Alert system now also since neither me or the wife felt any change in the wheel when crossing lines. 🤬🤬🤬
I just had the dealer do a bunch of resets. They did the IVD process which is supposed to do the lateral and steering angle sensors and maybe some other stuff. He said there was an update to the pscm. Drive home felt a lot better but when I hooked to my camper and towed it Friday is had the pull and rubber band feel again. Drove around today without the camper and feels pretty good again. Still feel like it’s there but I talked to S&B and he said there is a ton of people fighting this some do it, some don’t, they haven’t figured a way to fix it yet. I might play with the forscan as build line o did some research on to turn off the pull drift which I think is the culprit. I will update if I have luck.
 
I can't seem to freaking win on this problem. After having the shop do the 'All Systems Reset' i took it on a 4 hour drive to my Daughter's graduation-Go Noles!!. And for the first 50 miles or so it was no better at all but as the drive went on it did seem to get better and I thought it may have actually been fixed. Well it wasn't, not really anyways. Just periodically the truck would start to fight me and try to overcorrect the same as it has been doing. When I got home last night I throw Forscan back on and it still shows the Absolute angle as the same -304.9 so I'm guessing that is not part of the process Ford did. Although they did do the tire size change so I know they were in it at least as the speedo matched my app.
What is weird is that I started playing around with the Lane Keeping system and when I changed the alert the wheel vibrated but I could not get it to respond when it should have crossing lines regardless of what mode I was set to. Now for the embarrassing part-I'm not sure it was ever actually working. I've been so focused on this problem that I don't recall ever noticing a vibration before.
Just wanted to update that it's getting better but still a problem. Guess I'm gonna take it back to Ford to have them test the Alert system now also since neither me or the wife felt any change in the wheel when crossing lines. 🤬🤬🤬
That is incredibly frustrating. First,
don't be embarrassed about the Lane Keeping System at all. The reason it isn't working on the highway is 100% tied to that -304.9° absolute angle reading.

Here is exactly what's happening: The Lane Keeping system (and the cameras) relies on the steering angle sensor to understand your intentions.
Because the truck's computer thinks your steering wheel is permanently cranked almost a full 360 degrees, it assumes you are actively in the middle of a massive, continuous turn. Lane Assist automatically disables itself during sharp turns so it doesn't fight the driver. The fact that the wheel vibrated when you changed the menu setting proves the EPAS motor hardware is working perfectly—the software is just locking it out on the road because the steering angle is so far out of whack.

The fact that FORScan still reads -304.9° also proves the dealer did NOT properly calibrate the sensor. An "All Systems Reset" is just a generic module reboot; it doesn't run the specific mechanical-to-electronic calibration required after a lift. They likely just updated your tire size to fix the speedo and called it a day.

When you take it back to Ford, don't let them guess. Tell the service writer you need the tech to hook up FDRS and perform these two specific procedures:

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration (sometimes called IVD Initialization) in the ABS/SCCM module. They need to zero out that absolute angle so it reads 0.0° when the wheel is straight.

Reset/Clear Pull Drift Compensation in the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module).

Honestly, since you already have FORScan up and running to read those angles, you might just want to click over to the Service Procedures (wrench icon) tab and run those two calibrations yourself. It takes about two minutes and will save you the headache of trying to explain it to that service manager again! Keep us posted.
 
I just had the dealer do a bunch of resets. They did the IVD process which is supposed to do the lateral and steering angle sensors and maybe some other stuff. He said there was an update to the pscm. Drive home felt a lot better but when I hooked to my camper and towed it Friday is had the pull and rubber band feel again. Drove around today without the camper and feels pretty good again. Still feel like it’s there but I talked to S&B and he said there is a ton of people fighting this some do it, some don’t, they haven’t figured a way to fix it yet. I might play with the forscan as build line o did some research on to turn off the pull drift which I think is the culprit. I will update if I have luck.
I just came across a thread in another forum and at least 1 person claimed Ford replaced the PCSM module and that fixed the issue. Another says disabling Evasive Steering, which I hadn't tried, yet fixed the issue on theirs but that is an every time setting so annoying. Scrolling through that forum it seems to be a widespread problem related to the '24 and later models with no real solution aside the 1 who got a new PCSM.

Definitely update what you come up with on Forscan. I may go in and reset the absolute steering angle since that shouldn't be off so damn much.
 
That is incredibly frustrating. First,
don't be embarrassed about the Lane Keeping System at all. The reason it isn't working on the highway is 100% tied to that -304.9° absolute angle reading.

Here is exactly what's happening: The Lane Keeping system (and the cameras) relies on the steering angle sensor to understand your intentions.
Because the truck's computer thinks your steering wheel is permanently cranked almost a full 360 degrees, it assumes you are actively in the middle of a massive, continuous turn. Lane Assist automatically disables itself during sharp turns so it doesn't fight the driver. The fact that the wheel vibrated when you changed the menu setting proves the EPAS motor hardware is working perfectly—the software is just locking it out on the road because the steering angle is so far out of whack.

The fact that FORScan still reads -304.9° also proves the dealer did NOT properly calibrate the sensor. An "All Systems Reset" is just a generic module reboot; it doesn't run the specific mechanical-to-electronic calibration required after a lift. They likely just updated your tire size to fix the speedo and called it a day.

When you take it back to Ford, don't let them guess. Tell the service writer you need the tech to hook up FDRS and perform these two specific procedures:

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration (sometimes called IVD Initialization) in the ABS/SCCM module. They need to zero out that absolute angle so it reads 0.0° when the wheel is straight.

Reset/Clear Pull Drift Compensation in the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module).

Honestly, since you already have FORScan up and running to read those angles, you might just want to click over to the Service Procedures (wrench icon) tab and run those two calibrations yourself. It takes about two minutes and will save you the headache of trying to explain it to that service manager again! Keep us posted.
Appreciate this. At this point It doesn't seem I can F**k it up and make it worse so I'll just do the resets myself. It's concerning if part of the calibration should have been to reset the ASA and it still reads off whether they actually calibrated the cameras or not also.

This is why I love these forums. Access to actual experts and their knowledge which I find is typically far better than the so called "experts" at the dealership.
 
Appreciate this. At this point It doesn't seem I can F**k it up and make it worse so I'll just do the resets myself. It's concerning if part of the calibration should have been to reset the ASA and it still reads off whether they actually calibrated the cameras or not also.

This is why I love these forums. Access to actual experts and their knowledge which I find is typically far better than the so called "experts" at the dealership.
AI is pretty helpful along with the forums.
 
AI is pretty helpful along with the forums.
Don't say that to my oldest daughter-You'll find yourself in a hour long lecture how we are destroying our environment with the data centers to run it.
 
That is incredibly frustrating. First,
don't be embarrassed about the Lane Keeping System at all. The reason it isn't working on the highway is 100% tied to that -304.9° absolute angle reading.

Here is exactly what's happening: The Lane Keeping system (and the cameras) relies on the steering angle sensor to understand your intentions.
Because the truck's computer thinks your steering wheel is permanently cranked almost a full 360 degrees, it assumes you are actively in the middle of a massive, continuous turn. Lane Assist automatically disables itself during sharp turns so it doesn't fight the driver. The fact that the wheel vibrated when you changed the menu setting proves the EPAS motor hardware is working perfectly—the software is just locking it out on the road because the steering angle is so far out of whack.

The fact that FORScan still reads -304.9° also proves the dealer did NOT properly calibrate the sensor. An "All Systems Reset" is just a generic module reboot; it doesn't run the specific mechanical-to-electronic calibration required after a lift. They likely just updated your tire size to fix the speedo and called it a day.

When you take it back to Ford, don't let them guess. Tell the service writer you need the tech to hook up FDRS and perform these two specific procedures:

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration (sometimes called IVD Initialization) in the ABS/SCCM module. They need to zero out that absolute angle so it reads 0.0° when the wheel is straight.

Reset/Clear Pull Drift Compensation in the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module).

Honestly, since you already have FORScan up and running to read those angles, you might just want to click over to the Service Procedures (wrench icon) tab and run those two calibrations yourself. It takes about two minutes and will save you the headache of trying to explain it to that service manager again! Keep us posted.
I have searched everywhere I can on forscan and there is not any steering angle reset procdure in any of the module options that I can find. I read that the 23+ model ford changed it and forscan has not caught up in it yet but idk that for sure. I have the newest forscan update and it only lets you reboot most modules there is come reset for like the right height stuff but no steering. The service manage did mine and he showed fdrs the absolute angle was zero but idk much on fdrs. He said he didn’t know why forscan was showing the 16 degrees on mine while the steering wheel was center so I’m not as bad as MX. they did the IVD and said he updated and reset some other modules he owns almost the same truck so seem pretty knowledgeable on it. It drive a lot better but I feel it a little still but I have really bad grooves and road crowns where I am in northern Vermont.
 
Appreciate this. At this point It doesn't seem I can F**k it up and make it worse so I'll just do the resets myself. It's concerning if part of the calibration should have been to reset the ASA and it still reads off whether they actually calibrated the cameras or not also.

This is why I love these forums. Access to actual experts and their knowledge which I find is typically far better than the so called "experts" at the dealership.
No worries my friend!

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me one bit that a dealership replaced an entire PSCM module. When a tech doesn't understand the software calibration process for a lifted truck, their diagnostic flow chart often just tells them to throw a new module at it.

Disabling Evasive Steering "fixing" the issue makes perfect sense, too. Just like the Lane Keeping system, Evasive Steering relies heavily on the EPAS motor and that Steering Angle Sensor. When you turn Evasive Steering off, you are essentially telling the computer to stop trying to 'help' you steer. It's a band-aid that just proves your issue is a software calibration mismatch, not a physically broken part.

Definitely go into FORScan and run that reset yourself. You already have the Mongoose cable and the software loaded up, and seeing -304.9° when you are driving straight is the undisputed root cause of all these gremlins. The truck literally thinks your steering wheel is cranked a full rotation.

Just hit the Service Procedures tab (the wrench icon), run the Steering Angle Sensor Calibration to zero out that absolute angle, and then run the Reset Pull Drift Compensation in the PSCM so it unlearns all the bad habits it picked up while fighting you.

Hit that reset and let us know if it finally cures it!
 
giphy.gif
 
I have searched everywhere I can on forscan and there is not any steering angle reset procdure in any of the module options that I can find. I read that the 23+ model ford changed it and forscan has not caught up in it yet but idk that for sure. I have the newest forscan update and it only lets you reboot most modules there is come reset for like the right height stuff but no steering. The service manage did mine and he showed fdrs the absolute angle was zero but idk much on fdrs. He said he didn’t know why forscan was showing the 16 degrees on mine while the steering wheel was center so I’m not as bad as MX. they did the IVD and said he updated and reset some other modules he owns almost the same truck so seem pretty knowledgeable on it. It drive a lot better but I feel it a little still but I have really bad grooves and road crowns where I am in northern Vermont.
Tagging @ZooDad. It's a known issue that the FORScan developers are still playing catch-up with the newer 23+ security gateways—especially on safety-critical modules like steering, brakes, and lane assist. I have a 2022 so while most of the info can be helpful, there are still some hurdles.

If your service manager hooked up the official Ford FDRS and the absolute angle showed 0.0°, trust the FDRS reading. FORScan on the 23+ trucks is likely looking at a relative angle PID or just misinterpreting the newer data blocks, which explains that phantom 16-degree reading you saw.

Since your IVD was successfully initialized and FDRS is showing zero, your truck's electronic center is now properly synced with the mechanical center.
 
FUUUUUUCK. I'm in the same boat and dont have the Steering Angle Sensor Calibration option in Service Functions
 
I found this for the pscm as build line 730-01-02 mine has a f in the spot xxxx-xxxf-xxxx. Traditionally the pull drift was on this line but if you have trailer back up assist, lane center and all those it’s not a standard 0 or 1 to disable there is a letter to a code that will disable one of them but you have to find which one of the 4 is pull drive by process of elimination. This is all theory using history and AI unfortunately. I attached a picture of the letters to the codes it’s wild and idk if it will work but I’m gonna try it when I get back from my trip
 
FUUUUUUCK. I'm in the same boat and dont have the Steering Angle Sensor Calibration option in Service Functions
Please steer carefully in that boat!

23869.gif
 
O
Please steer carefully in that boat!

View attachment 264474
if your in there give it a try if you are good with it. Just save the data and revert back. It says you will get a warning if you disable one of the other things and just retry a diff letter basically
 
O

if your in there give it a try if you are good with it. Just save the data and revert back. It says you will get a warning if you disable one of the other things and just retry a diff letter basically
If someone and whoever figures this out will be a god. David from S&B said he has talked to ford engineers on this issue and they don’t really have much clue on it really. People that mad this 5 years ago probly done work there or in that department anymore blah blah. If someone can figure it out in forscan or come up with a dummy plug got the little electric motor something lol
 
Back
Top Bottom