- OP 🔹
- #81
Pretty sure it’s an LED? All the interior lights have a lot of diffusion meaning you can’t really see through the lens. Makes it tough to tell what it is for sure.Not even a LED but a old fashioned incandescent light bulb???
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Pretty sure it’s an LED? All the interior lights have a lot of diffusion meaning you can’t really see through the lens. Makes it tough to tell what it is for sure.Not even a LED but a old fashioned incandescent light bulb???
Yep, electronics hate modified sine wave invertors. I'm interested in what you use for the swap as I will need to do the same. Another option would be to get a 12v airplane style charger then you're dc all the way through.Yesterday was out doing some running around and brought my laptop with me so I could do some work on the road. Tried plugging the charger into the truck's A/C outlet and it just resulted in the charger making a buzzing noise and some clicking. Obviously it wasn't happy with the horrendous power signal from the inverter.
Pure sine wave inverter swap just moved up the priority list. Going to swap in-place with another 400 Watt inverter so the factory outlets keep working, but are actually useful.
I’ll definitely keep this thread updated! Or may start a new one with the results when I do the swap.Yep, electronics hate modified sine wave invertors. I'm interested in what you use for the swap as I will need to do the same. Another option would be to get a 12v airplane style charger then you're dc all the way through.
Awesome post. Curious.... I also said no sunroof... why did you? For me I said... I really don't use them that often.... and they are over 100+ lbs at the trucks highest point away from center of gravity which will contribute to body roll and etc.... how about you?With my truck now built and on its way to me, it's time to make a build thread in preparation for its arrival. Let's walk through the name, my goals for the truck, and why I went with the Tremor. A follow-up post will track the state of modifications - planned, purchased, and installed.
Name
I'm going with Shadowfax for the name (thanks to @Backslider for the suggestion, and causing a rename from Gimli). I love Lord of the Rings so it was the logical place to look for a name. Quoting the fandom wiki:
My truck is my loyal companion and steed, something I rely on with my life. The description above perfectly describes what my truck will become to me. It's also unique here on the forum, and likely for vehicles in general, which is a nice bonus.
Goals
The truck will be my primary vehicle serving all variety of purposes. Some of its jobs:
Why Super Duty? Why Tremor?
- Commuting to and from work, as well as driving around town.
- Hauling people to the ski hill in winter to go skiing.
- Hauling materials for around the house (soil, blocks, lumber, garbage, etc.)
- Towing car trailers for project cars.
- Forest road exploring, eventually with a slide-in camper (will need to save up again for that).
- Road trips back home.
- Should I be accepted in to Search and Rescue (have recently applied) transporting myself and others to incidents and being my vehicle for performing searches. Additionally will offer it to haul or tow any equipment as necessary.
My current vehicle is a 2009 F-150 SuperCab. It's served me extremely well, but it's time to move to a crew cab. Additionally, I've overloaded it numerous times hauling house materials, overloaded its non-weight distributing tow capacity multiple times, and it cannot handle the weight of a slide-in camper like I'm planning. When it came time to decide on a new truck, I knew I was going heavy duty because in my opinion it has very few downsides:
I chose to stick with Ford for two core reasons (though there's lots of little things, too):
- It's the same size as a half ton (nearly).
- Has dramatically more capacity.
- I don't mind the ride quality.
- I don't mind the fuel economy.
Why gas instead of diesel?
- I have a dealer with a service department I already like and trust. I don't want to go through that search with another brand.
- The Tremor package fits my needs perfectly, and is unique in the market right now. I don't need to do anything mechanical to the truck out of the gate, as all I would have wanted to do is lift the truck enough to put 35" tires on. Yet it's off road capable and still retains it's towing and hauling capacity.
There's a few factors that contributed to me choosing gas over diesel:
The Config - F350 Lariat Ultimate, 7.3L gas engine
- My needs aren't best for a diesel. I'm going to be driving off-road and hauling payload (camper), but not towing heavy. Additionally, I'll be doing shorter commuting trips in it, which is hard on a diesel engine.
- Simpler engine. The 7.3L is so fantastically simple, I love it. No turbo. No direct injection. Minimal emissions equipment. The engine bay has lots of space around the engine. It speaks to my heart and, in theory, will mean it's more reliable and less expensive to repair over time.
- Cost. The diesel has a higher up-front cost and maintenance is more expensive. Yes, the resale value is better; however, I'm not convinced you're getting more than your lifetime investment back. Additionally, I intend to keep this truck for a very long time, minimizing the impact of resale value.
- Weight. The gas engine is significantly lighter. This better suits my needs off-road while maximizing payload capacity.
Some notable options (in no particular order):
View attachment 31145
- Rapid Red with Black Appearance Package
- Carpet delete
- Heated steering wheel
- Heated rear seats
- No sunroof
- 5th wheel prep package
- Upfitter switches
- Winch
View attachment 31284
Awesome post. Curious.... I also said no sunroof... why did you? For me I said... I really don't use them that often..
I originally didn't include the sunroof. But we plan on using this as the family exploring vehicle and where we live, there are a number of canyons and high cliff walls around. Our kids love looking through the sunroof to see them. Plus, it lets in additional light and that makes my wife happy. She gets a bit of seasonal depression.Awesome post. Curious.... I also said no sunroof... why did you? For me I said... I really don't use them that often.... and they are over 100+ lbs at the trucks highest point away from center of gravity which will contribute to body roll and etc.... how about you?
and I didn't realize I could have deleted the carpet for vinyl.... which had me thinking about pros and cons of doing that... why did you prefer it?
Solid reason! I had a Flex with the vista roof that extended over the second row and this was a huge benefit on family vacations!Our kids love looking through the sunroof
To each his own... and great considerations. Family first!I originally didn't include the sunroof. But we plan on using this as the family exploring vehicle and where we live, there are a number of canyons and high cliff walls around. Our kids love looking through the sunroof to see them. Plus, it lets in additional light and that makes my wife happy. She gets a bit of seasonal depression.
Sorry about the delay in reply! Life got very busy, very quickly for a bit there.Awesome post. Curious.... I also said no sunroof... why did you? For me I said... I really don't use them that often.... and they are over 100+ lbs at the trucks highest point away from center of gravity which will contribute to body roll and etc.... how about you?
and I didn't realize I could have deleted the carpet for vinyl.... which had me thinking about pros and cons of doing that... why did you prefer it?
Anyone have any experience on what the dealer will do if you find paint issues or body panel alignment issues?As my delivery date comes closer, I'm going to document my delivery checklist here. I previously posted it on Ironman's thread, but I want to have it here for cohesion and easier personal reference.
My list is based off of the list from @Iron Man, but expanded on from issues I've seen crop up on the forum since. I've also organized it to make it easier to follow when I'm inspecting my truck.
![]()
WHAT TO CHECK WHEN YOU GO TO PICK UP YOUR NEW TREMOR
Since I just got my sweet sexy Beast just over 3 weeks ago, I had a list of things to check before signing off on my truck. Some may say this list is way over board. I had to wait 20-1/2 weeks for mine to arrive and then 1 more week to pick it up since I had mods done to it. I read all the...www.fordtremor.com
To bring with:
To check:
- Gloves
- Wall outlet phone charger
- USB cable for phone
- Tire pressure gauge
- Tire deflator/gauge to drop factory tire pressures
- Headlamp with fresh batteries for checking paint
- Shop towel for checking fluid levels
- Tread depth gauge
With salesman:
- Ensure modem is activated to receive points.
Interior:
- Check for rips, scratches, blemishes, bunching, around the interior - seats, dash, center console.
- Back Seats. Fold them up, make sure under the seat the tray folds flat, make sure heated back seats work, fold down arm rest.
- Open and close all doors, ensure they operate smoothly.
- Open your back glass all the way.
- Glove Box and Console with Tray. Some glove boxes don't close properly and I heard some people were missing their tray.
- Ensure console vault is present and you know the code.
- Windows all should be opened and closed
- Cameras. Make sure all cameras work. Some stories people never checked them for months and they never worked.
- Get your phone paired to SYNC while you are checking out the interior.
- Put your VIN into Ford pass so your info is in there on your truck while checking out everything while inside the interior.
- Mileage. See how many miles are on the truck. It should be minimal
- Mirrors. Fold & Extend & and then Left-Right
- Have your salesman show you the entertainment system. Make sure XM/FM/AM NAVIGATION work. Punch in where is a gas station or food & it should show where they are. I heard some have had problems with it not fully working.
- Have your Salesman go over the instrument cluster. See how many hours the truck was idling and driving.
- Voice command. Ask for the weather.
- Bring the cord to plug in your phone to try Apple Play. You will want to have one anyway for your truck. So make sure you have one already so you can be totally on top of your game.
- Plug phone into both 110v outlets (dash and back of center console) and ensure it charges.
- Full Tank Of Gas. Mine only had a half tank of gas. Thats Bullshit. I made them fill it up.
- Check your mirror visors for shits and giggles.
- Try your heated steering wheel to make sure it works. And know how to turn it on. Its in climate on the screen.
- Front Seats. Try Massage seats. Make sure they work for you and passenger. Understand how to use it. Make all the functions of the seats work Lumbar, Up, Down, Forward & Back.
- Pedals. Gas & Brake. Move them forward and back.
- Steering column forward, up, down and back
- Bed Tie down Clips, 5th Wheel Kit with harness, RV camera, winch controller, trailer TPMS. This should all should be stored inside under the rear seats. I ordered a camera and mine was not there. I had my list and told them right away that its not here. They said is it on my window sticker and sure enough it was. They had to order it.
- Check for interior lighting and make sure it’s enabled. Check for cup holder lighting (may not be present, but ask about it if not).
- Check for tilting headrests (not expected).
- Check for center console tray (should be included despite console vault).
- Check for spare tire jack and jack handle (under the rear seat).
Transition from interior to exterior:
- Open the hood. Make sure it opens and closes properly
- While hood is open:
- Check the oil level
- Check coolant level
- Check power steering fluid level
- Check brake fluid level
- Check washer fluid full
- Ensure dual batteries are present
- Ensure battery terminals are tight
- Ensure fan blades are pitched correctly (some have had the fan blades pitched the wrong way, resulting in over-heating under load). Place hand over intake manifold and there should be a large volume of air moving over it. Additionally, look for rotation direction when engine is running and then check pitch to ensure it's pulling air towards the engine.
- Retractable foot boards. Before closing the door leave your foot on the board with a little pressure and then close the door. Board should remain down. Inspect them. No scuffs. Then open and close the door and it should fold up
- Check all lights
- Blinkers
- High and low beams
- Fogs
- Spot lamps on outside mirrors
- Roof lights and running lights
- Bed LEDs
- Cargo light
- Interior roof, ambient lighting
Exterior:
- Paint and trim. Make sure its perfect.
- Door jambs
- Roof (also check gutters, both sides, for proper sealant application)
- Sides
- Hood
- Tailgate
- Fuel door (known for orange peel on the face; edges; behind it)
- Bumpers
- Tow hooks
- Adjust spot mirrors to make sure they move properly
- Open tail gate all 3 ways. Fob, Inside the cab button, and the gate itself has a button.
- Open the step on the tail gate and put up the handle to pull your self in. Inspect it.
- Bed step. Make sure it doesn't stick. Open and close it.
- Verify spare tire matches.
- Lock and unlock the hubs to ensure they do so easily.
- Make sure the front hubs are not in a locked position. Some come from the factory with one or both hubs locked.
- Check out the under carriage.
- I looked to see if there was oil by the transmission as some had leaky trannys. Look for any other signs of leaks.
- Check rear axle around u-bolts for missing paint. Good for reporting on for axle recall.
- Verify skid plates are present (transfer case and fuel tank)
- Check brake lines at calipers for leaks (one was reported)
- Check tire pressures, should be equal.
- Check rims for damage
- Check panel gaps - hood, doors, tailgate, bumpers.
- Check alignment of cab and bed.
- Remote Start your truck with key fob and through Ford Pass app. Key Fob is click once to lock it, then hit the start button twice. Then hit start button to shut off the engine. Try the ford pass app and make sure your truck starts as well.
- Measure tread depth and note mileage
Test drive:
- Put it in drive and listen for transmission noise while stopped.
- Put the truck into 4 wheel drive High and Low and move forward a bit. Test it out as best as you can.
- Winch. Put on gloves.
- Ensure bolts aren’t sticking up into the winch rope
- Pull out the rope manually and with the controls. I pulled out 50' or more and then used my bare hands to hold tension on the rope running it right to left so to evenly put it back.
- Ensure the front of the rope has the abrasion cover.
- Ensure winch hook has helper strap
- Check windshield washer works.
- Verify parking brake. Engages, disengages.
No direct experience, but based on the forum can vary. As long as you find it before you take the truck it seems like most are pretty good about fixing it, though panel alignment will have more variability.Anyone have any experience on what the dealer will do if you find paint issues or body panel alignment issues?
Congrats! Hope you see your truck soon!Must be Rapid Red week at Ford as this is the same truck being built this week for me.
and boy does Godzilla sound good at WOT.
Would love for a bit bigger wattage one that goes in the OEM spot that has pure sine.Pure sine wave inverter ordered! Will arrive next week, so hoping to install next weekend. This weekend I'll figure out what I need to do the electrical (connectors, wiring, pins, etc) to replace the OEM one.
![]()
Wagan Tech PureLine 400-Watt Power Inverter (ETL) 3800 - The Home Depot
Keep your smartphones, laptops and tablets fully charged with the assistance of this excellently Wagan Tech PureLine Power Inverter.www.homedepot.com