ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Now, when my truck arrives, I don't even want to start a build thread, because I don't know how you made all those nice little boxes to organize your plan! Love it! I will enjoy watching this come to life!
It’s easy! There’s table functionality built into the site!

Edit to clarify: to get that extra row of buttons to show up, hit the vertical “…” next to the button to insert an image.

1629571253236.png

OP
ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Should have gone with Shadowfax. ;)
You did it. I've changed the name. Title and post is edited, along with credit to you for the suggestion. Thank you!

While I was in there I also added a section on why I chose gas instead of diesel.

Vecman

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2019 F-150 Platinum
Current Ride #2
Knee Rover
Man!!! I have a star white and was going to go with Shadowfax (inspired by your previous Gimli build) - even though he's silver/gray in the book, I was going to go with the Hollywood interpretation of a white horse for my white truck. But, back to the drawing board! Thanks for the info about the table button. Gonna have to use that when it comes time. I literally have a spreadsheet similar to your post - immediate mods, future mods, potentials, etc. Love to see the organizational minds!

Backslider

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tundra CM TRD Sport / 2017 4runner TrailPig / 2007 VW Rabbit daily
Man!!! I have a star white and was going to go with Shadowfax (inspired by your previous Gimli build) - even though he's silver/gray in the book, I was going to go with the Hollywood interpretation of a white horse for my white truck. But, back to the drawing board! Thanks for the info about the table button. Gonna have to use that when it comes time. I literally have a spreadsheet similar to your post - immediate mods, future mods, potentials, etc. Love to see the organizational minds!

You could always go with Bill the Pony - it's probably not taken yet.

I was a big LOTR nerd as a kid. When I was a kid we didn't have all the free entertainment we do nowadays, so I was always hiking, biking, fishing, playing basketball, or reading. Tolkien was a favorite and the series was well worn in our home. The Jackson movies are one of the rare moments where a movie did the books true justice.

Snowmane or Firefoot would be good choices as well. ;)

Vecman

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2019 F-150 Platinum
Current Ride #2
Knee Rover
I'll pass on the Bill the pony (or maybe not, initiate suspenseful waiting...). Tolkien was a such a great author. I'm sure I'll find a name worthy of the truck. There's a lot of good places to pull from. I love the Game of Thrones series (books first, shows weren't bad). Maybe it will end up just being a white walker. I've got plenty of time to figure it out, since no build date for me yet anyways.

OP
ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Ah sorry! My original choice (Clifford, in reference to the Big Red Dog), was already taken lol. Took me a bit to get my mind off of that and find another source.

You’re also welcome to take Gimli if you want!

And for sure! This is just a taste of my organization. I have a whole section in my OneNote dedicated to the truck, documenting everything over multiple pages. :D

Vecman

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2019 F-150 Platinum
Current Ride #2
Knee Rover
Awesome! Well, as cool as Gimli is, I'm gonna keep brainstorming some names. It's all part of the fun! I'm excited to see your table come to life once Shadowfax actually arrives. That red is really sharp!

Last edited:
OP
ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
As my delivery date comes closer, I'm going to document my delivery checklist here. I previously posted it on Ironman's thread, but I want to have it here for cohesion and easier personal reference.

My list is based off of the list from @Iron Man, but expanded on from issues I've seen crop up on the forum since. I've also organized it to make it easier to follow when I'm inspecting my truck.

To bring with:
  • Gloves
  • Wall outlet phone charger
  • USB cable for phone
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Tire deflator/gauge to drop factory tire pressures
  • Headlamp with fresh batteries for checking paint
  • Shop towel for checking fluid levels
  • Tread depth gauge
To check:

With salesman:
  • Ensure modem is activated to receive points.

Interior:
  • Check for rips, scratches, blemishes, bunching, around the interior - seats, dash, center console.
  • Back Seats. Fold them up, make sure under the seat the tray folds flat, make sure heated back seats work, fold down arm rest.
  • Open and close all doors, ensure they operate smoothly.
  • Open your back glass all the way.
  • Glove Box and Console with Tray. Some glove boxes don't close properly and I heard some people were missing their tray.
  • Ensure console vault is present and you know the code.
  • Windows all should be opened and closed
  • Cameras. Make sure all cameras work. Some stories people never checked them for months and they never worked.
  • Get your phone paired to SYNC while you are checking out the interior.
  • Put your VIN into Ford pass so your info is in there on your truck while checking out everything while inside the interior.
  • Mileage. See how many miles are on the truck. It should be minimal
  • Mirrors. Fold & Extend & and then Left-Right
  • Have your salesman show you the entertainment system. Make sure XM/FM/AM NAVIGATION work. Punch in where is a gas station or food & it should show where they are. I heard some have had problems with it not fully working.
  • Have your Salesman go over the instrument cluster. See how many hours the truck was idling and driving.
  • Voice command. Ask for the weather.
  • Bring the cord to plug in your phone to try Apple Play. You will want to have one anyway for your truck. So make sure you have one already so you can be totally on top of your game.
  • Plug phone into both 110v outlets (dash and back of center console) and ensure it charges.
  • Full Tank Of Gas. Mine only had a half tank of gas. Thats Bullshit. I made them fill it up.
  • Check your mirror visors for shits and giggles.
  • Try your heated steering wheel to make sure it works. And know how to turn it on. Its in climate on the screen.
  • Front Seats. Try Massage seats. Make sure they work for you and passenger. Understand how to use it. Make all the functions of the seats work Lumbar, Up, Down, Forward & Back.
  • Pedals. Gas & Brake. Move them forward and back.
  • Steering column forward, up, down and back
  • Bed Tie down Clips, 5th Wheel Kit with harness, RV camera, winch controller, trailer TPMS. This should all should be stored inside under the rear seats. I ordered a camera and mine was not there. I had my list and told them right away that its not here. They said is it on my window sticker and sure enough it was. They had to order it.
  • Check for interior lighting and make sure it’s enabled. Check for cup holder lighting (may not be present, but ask about it if not).
  • Check for tilting headrests (not expected).
  • Check for center console tray (should be included despite console vault).
  • Check for spare tire jack and jack handle (under the rear seat).

Transition from interior to exterior:
  • Open the hood. Make sure it opens and closes properly
  • While hood is open:
    • Check the oil level
    • Check coolant level
    • Check power steering fluid level
    • Check brake fluid level
    • Check washer fluid full
    • Ensure dual batteries are present
    • Ensure battery terminals are tight
    • Ensure fan blades are pitched correctly (some have had the fan blades pitched the wrong way, resulting in over-heating under load). Place hand over intake manifold and there should be a large volume of air moving over it. Additionally, look for rotation direction when engine is running and then check pitch to ensure it's pulling air towards the engine.
  • Retractable foot boards. Before closing the door leave your foot on the board with a little pressure and then close the door. Board should remain down. Inspect them. No scuffs. Then open and close the door and it should fold up
  • Check all lights
    • Blinkers
    • High and low beams
    • Fogs
    • Spot lamps on outside mirrors
    • Roof lights and running lights
    • Bed LEDs
    • Cargo light
    • Interior roof, ambient lighting

Exterior:
  • Paint and trim. Make sure its perfect.
    • Door jambs
    • Roof (also check gutters, both sides, for proper sealant application)
    • Sides
    • Hood
    • Tailgate
    • Fuel door (known for orange peel on the face; edges; behind it)
    • Bumpers
    • Tow hooks
  • Adjust spot mirrors to make sure they move properly
  • Open tail gate all 3 ways. Fob, Inside the cab button, and the gate itself has a button.
  • Open the step on the tail gate and put up the handle to pull your self in. Inspect it.
  • Bed step. Make sure it doesn't stick. Open and close it.
  • Verify spare tire matches.
  • Lock and unlock the hubs to ensure they do so easily.
  • Make sure the front hubs are not in a locked position. Some come from the factory with one or both hubs locked.
  • Check out the under carriage.
    • I looked to see if there was oil by the transmission as some had leaky trannys. Look for any other signs of leaks.
    • Check rear axle around u-bolts for missing paint. Good for reporting on for axle recall.
    • Verify skid plates are present (transfer case and fuel tank)
    • Check brake lines at calipers for leaks (one was reported)
  • Check tire pressures, should be equal.
  • Check rims for damage
  • Check panel gaps - hood, doors, tailgate, bumpers.
  • Check alignment of cab and bed.
  • Remote Start your truck with key fob and through Ford Pass app. Key Fob is click once to lock it, then hit the start button twice. Then hit start button to shut off the engine. Try the ford pass app and make sure your truck starts as well.
  • Measure tread depth and note mileage

Test drive:
  • Put it in drive and listen for transmission noise while stopped.
  • Put the truck into 4 wheel drive High and Low and move forward a bit. Test it out as best as you can.
  • Winch. Put on gloves.
    • Ensure bolts aren’t sticking up into the winch rope
    • Pull out the rope manually and with the controls. I pulled out 50' or more and then used my bare hands to hold tension on the rope running it right to left so to evenly put it back.
    • Ensure the front of the rope has the abrasion cover.
    • Ensure winch hook has helper strap
  • Check windshield washer works.
  • Verify parking brake. Engages, disengages.

BroncoHooves

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Former USAF
Current Ride
'22 F350 6.7L Lariat Tremor
I'm definitely not getting the reference you're putting down lol. I've heard of OJ Simpson in general, but never heard the term/name Isotoners before.
It's ok I have faith in your Google-Fu. :D

On this one, not an option for me:

• Mileage. It should be minimal

BroncoHooves

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Former USAF
Current Ride
'22 F350 6.7L Lariat Tremor
Ohh I gotcha lol. Definitely not planning on my gloves being bloody. :p Will be handy for being on the ground and playing with winch rope, though! :D
Since my truck will be over 180 miles when delivered, if it didn't fall apart on the way from the dealership we should be good lol.

OP
ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Since my truck will be over 180 miles when delivered, if it didn't fall apart on the way from the dealership we should be good lol.
I mean in your case ”minimal” just just redefined. If it shows up with 500 miles you‘ll have an issue. :p

OP
ccw

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
With the service plan things such as brake fluid and coolant changes should be time based, not distance based.
Ah good call. I entered them such that the mileage should line up with the amount of time, but now that you mention it I should call them out separately. Will update the post later.

Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge