Project Shadowfax

So a bit of an update on my lighting plans. Originally I wanted the Baja Designs dual fog pocket light kit:


After living with the truck for a year and a half, though, I just don’t think I can justify the cost of the dual lights and am leaning heavily towards the single light kit:


That’s $700 less expensive! The LED headlights on the truck are fantastic. There’s no way I’m out driving them.

But I still want actual fog lights on the truck (factory ones don’t count) so the single is perfect. And less wiring to run, which is a bonus.

Throwing this out there before purchasing in case someone has a reason to spend the extra $700. But I’m just not seeing it right now.
I have these ones: https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss6-led-fog-light-kit-for-2020-2022-ford-super-duty.html

They are on my to do list, so can’t say if I like them or not. I purchased a wiring harness so I can use my roof switches.
 
I have these ones: https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss6-led-fog-light-kit-for-2020-2022-ford-super-duty.html

They are on my to do list, so can’t say if I like them or not. I purchased a wiring harness so I can use my roof switches.
That is interesting as another option. The factory look is appealing, though I’m concerned about the possible light output given how small they are. Obviously advertised as more than stock, but that’s a pretty low bar to exceed.
 
The factory look is appealing,
I like the integration better than the Baja's which are way more obvious. That can be a pro or con depending on your personal viewpoint. Looking at both websites the Baja's state 2420lm and the DiodeDynamics are 2280lm although lumens don't always tell the entire story depending on their measurement technique. I'm guessing that since they both comply with SAE J583 (fog light pattern and horizontal cutoff plane) they will perform in a similar fashion.
 
I like the integration better than the Baja's which are way more obvious. That can be a pro or con depending on your personal viewpoint. Looking at both websites the Baja's state 2420lm and the DiodeDynamics are 2280lm although lumens don't always tell the entire story depending on their measurement technique. I'm guessing that since they both comply with SAE J583 (fog light pattern and horizontal cutoff plane) they will perform in a similar fashion.
Good point about the appearances, and the listed output. Hmm. The DD are also notably less expensive, especially considering they have a Memorial Day sale still on.

Was going to go ahead and buy them, but those savings are minimized by the fact that shipping is $35. And only $11 away from free shipping. :(
 
Good point about the appearances, and the listed output. Hmm. The DD are also notably less expensive, especially considering they have a Memorial Day sale still on.

Was going to go ahead and buy them, but those savings are minimized by the fact that shipping is $35. And only $11 away from free shipping. :(
Lol. I took issue with the shipping too. If I get them installed soon, I’ll follow up.
 
Lol. I took issue with the shipping too. If I get them installed soon, I’ll follow up.
Right? Shipping is 10% of the price! I guess others are just hiding the shipping cost in the price of the item?

Please do follow-up. Though I very well might have them ordered by the time you do lol.
 
So a bit of an update on my lighting plans. Originally I wanted the Baja Designs dual fog pocket light kit:


After living with the truck for a year and a half, though, I just don’t think I can justify the cost of the dual lights and am leaning heavily towards the single light kit:


That’s $700 less expensive! The LED headlights on the truck are fantastic. There’s no way I’m out driving them.

But I still want actual fog lights on the truck (factory ones don’t count) so the single is perfect. And less wiring to run, which is a bonus.

Throwing this out there before purchasing in case someone has a reason to spend the extra $700. But I’m just not seeing it right now.
I did the Baja Designs SAE and Pro kit and could NOT be happier. Below is a link to my post with pictures comparing the illumination in a field and in the woods and the pictures don't do the lights justice. I turn on my Pro's whenever I can because the additional illumination is much less fatiguing driving at night.

 
I did the Baja Designs SAE and Pro kit and could NOT be happier. Below is a link to my post with pictures comparing the illumination in a field and in the woods and the pictures don't do the lights justice. I turn on my Pro's whenever I can because the additional illumination is much less fatiguing driving at night.

Thanks! Ya the pictures don’t show a big difference, and I fully recognize that’s a camera limitation.

So you’re saying the pros are worth an additional $700 (or compared to the Diode Dynamics option, $800)?

That’s a lot of extra money that I could put towards something else. Especially when I have never been disappointed by the factory high beams in 1.5 years.

I’m not saying they provide no benefit. I just struggle with getting enough practical benefit to justify the cost.
 
@ccw i said this is in multiple other threads, but for me the biggest differentiator for DD is that their kit comes with running/backlighting feature at no extra cost, all else being the same between the brands. Isnt it awesome to be to be able to have extra running lights on when you’re not using your off road lights? for feature and esthetics both.
 

Attachments

  • DF2E2994-2B96-4839-81A9-FB338A81D38F.webp
    DF2E2994-2B96-4839-81A9-FB338A81D38F.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 52
@ccw i said this is in multiple other threads, but for me the biggest differentiator for DD is that their kit comes with running/backlighting feature at no extra cost, all else being the same between the brands. Isnt it awesome to be to be able to have extra running lights on when you’re not using your off road lights? for feature and esthetics both.
Yep, that’s been in the back of my mind. I like it, but it’s not a deciding factor for me. Just a nice bonus.

Though I’m not sure the SS6 kit even has that feature. It’s not talked about anywhere on the product page, and it’s not one of their standard lights.
 
Ok, signed up for their newsletter and got a discount code for free shipping. I'm on the edge of getting the SS6 kit. Under $300 before tax is a pretty awesome price.
 
Well, after some more deliberation and realizing that @Nick@ApolloOptics sells Diode Dynamics (no idea how I missed that), went ahead and ordered the SS6 kit from Nick. Nick has the Memorial Day pricing, as well!

Can't wait to get them in and installed!
 
These lights look great! I'd normally wait for a review but with the current Memorial Day sale, I decided to pull the trigger and place an order from @Nick@ApolloOptics as well. I think they'll work well with the DD S2 lights I have mounted below the factory fogs.
 
Well, after some more deliberation and realizing that @Nick@ApolloOptics sells Diode Dynamics (no idea how I missed that), went ahead and ordered the SS6 kit from Nick. Nick has the Memorial Day pricing, as well!

Can't wait to get them in and installed!

These lights look great! I'd normally wait for a review but with the current Memorial Day sale, I decided to pull the trigger and place an order from @Nick@ApolloOptics as well. I think they'll work well with the DD S2 lights I have mounted below the factory fogs.

Thank you both! Nice work getting in on the last day of our Diode Dynamics discounts. Glad we could get y'all dialed in!
 
Well, after some more deliberation and realizing that @Nick@ApolloOptics sells Diode Dynamics (no idea how I missed that), went ahead and ordered the SS6 kit from Nick. Nick has the Memorial Day pricing, as well!

Can't wait to get them in and installed!
It was raining today so I got around to installing them. Took a bit longer than expected. I've still got some fine tuning to do. I need to find a spot to adjust them. Tip: if you don't have a 2" 8mm socket, go and get one. It will save some time.

IMG_2247.webp
 
It was raining today so I got around to installing them. Took a bit longer than expected. I've still got some fine tuning to do. I need to find a spot to adjust them. Tip: if you don't have a 2" 8mm socket, go and get one. It will save some time.

View attachment 122090
That’s awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Have you had a chance to have them on at night with your low beams? If so, are they bright enough to actually contribute? Any other thoughts on them when in action?
 
For sure! We'll start from the base and work upwards, then outwards.

Onto the BuiltRight mount, I attached two RAM® Diamond Ball Base - C Size:


I chose the C size to have lots of weight headroom, since this is the foundation of the platform. While I'm not mounting anything super heavy to the PVC, I do intend to mount at the ends of the PVC which is quite a large lever.

To each ball base I attached a RAM® Composite Double Socket Arm - C Size Short:


I went with the short arms as I want to keep the pipe as low as possible to minimize potential visibility obstruction.

(Above is what I've mounted to the truck so far, and showed in the picture in the previous post.)

Next is two RAM® Torque™ Large Rail Base - C Size, which will mount to the pipe and the short arms:


These mounts were originally intended by Ram Mounts for handlebars and roll cages, but no reason they won't work with PVC pipe.

That has the pipe mounted, so next it's accessories. Each accessory is light, so to reduce weight, cost, and bulk I downsized to "B" sized balls and mounts.

Each accessory gets a RAM® Torque™ Large Rail Base - B Size for the rail:


The phone and GPS mounts get RAM® Double Socket Arm Adapter with Medium & Long Arms - B Size, to have enough length to reach past the dash, as well as have some flexibility to follow the dash and reduce their height (again, visibility):


And lastly, the phone and GPS mounts to attach to those arms:



Worth noting I didn't get any Ram Mounts for the speakers yet. Strongly considering screwing those directly into the PVC, but we'll see.
Ok, finally got the right size pipe in and thus some things installed! (Phone not in picture as it was taking the picture.)

IMG_0379.webp


Initial thoughts:

Overall idea is sound. Positioning of phone and InReach are perfect, as is the mounting flexibility. Visibility loss is minimal, exactly as I wanted.

Problematic is the flexibility of PVC pipe. Even at over 1” OD it bounces a fair bit while driving. And it’s clear it’s the pipe, not the mounts.

Two possible solutions to that:
  1. Add a suction cup mount at each end to support the pipe. Upside is forces from the weight become even less of a concern as the ends are supported. Downside is further visibility loss around the A pillars.
  2. Move to metal pipe. Pro’s and con’s are the opposite of the suction cups. Pipe will be notably heavier, thus increasing forces on the mounts. But visibility will be retained.
Not going to rush to a solution as it’s functional as-is, but I will improve it in the future.
 
Ok, finally got the right size pipe in and thus some things installed! (Phone not in picture as it was taking the picture.)

View attachment 122492

Initial thoughts:

Overall idea is sound. Positioning of phone and InReach are perfect, as is the mounting flexibility. Visibility loss is minimal, exactly as I wanted.

Problematic is the flexibility of PVC pipe. Even at over 1” OD it bounces a fair bit while driving. And it’s clear it’s the pipe, not the mounts.

Two possible solutions to that:
  1. Add a suction cup mount at each end to support the pipe. Upside is forces from the weight become even less of a concern as the ends are supported. Downside is further visibility loss around the A pillars.
  2. Move to metal pipe. Pro’s and con’s are the opposite of the suction cups. Pipe will be notably heavier, thus increasing forces on the mounts. But visibility will be retained.
Not going to rush to a solution as it’s functional as-is, but I will improve it in the future.

What do you think about going with aluminum pipe?

Not sure what shipping would cost, but a piece of pipe doesn't look too pricey: https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy...le-40-aluminum-pipe-6061-t6-extruded/pid/1221
 
  • Useful
Reactions: ccw

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom