Today was more time with Shadowfax, though it was more of a learning day.
First up was a brief scouting run up a forest road. About 25 minutes one way, so not long but long enough to be worth airing down. It's a pretty rough road.
The last time I aired down I went to roughly 35psi, and that was not nearly low enough. Threads on the forum make that not particularly surprising, but I wanted to play it conservative since it was my first time airing down. Today I went down to 25psi and it made a huge difference. Definitely the sweet spot for Shadowfax.
After that I was next to a Travel America that has CAT Scales, so I figured I would weigh Shadowfax for the first time. This was with a full tank of gas, my current modifications, and all of the stuff I normally keep in the truck for SAR and general life. I was out of the truck so no humans were weighed. Weights are:
- Steer axle: 4360 pounds
- Drive axle: 3860 pounds
- Gross weight: 8220 pounds
Given my GVWR of 11,300 pounds, that puts my available payload capacity, above and beyond my daily carry, at 3080 pounds. This makes me very pleased.
Last stop was a spot up a different forest road with a berm you can drive over. It's a pretty good stress of break over angle, and I wanted to compare with my old truck as well as get a better feel of my clearances with Shadowfax.
For context, my old truck was a 2009 F-150 Supercab, 6.5' bed, with factory non-powered running boards. When my old truck went over this berm the running boards skimmed the dirt, and the frame was pretty close to touching.
With Shadowfax, I had tons of clearance! With the power running boards tucked up away, the only risk of touching was the frame/skid plates, but they had a comfortable amount of space. Probably 4-6 inches. This also makes me very pleased.
Side story on trying to weigh Shadowfax. Specifically how it took me a good 20+ minutes or so to fill up with gas, and it wasn't because I was waiting in line.
I wanted to top off my tank before I weighed it, so I swung into a gas station across the street from the scales. Put in my card, put the nozzle in the truck, selected my fuel and...the pump wouldn't pump gas. Pull the handle and nothing comes out. I tried another two times and still nothing, so I moved on to a Shell station next to the scales.
At the Shell I put in my card, it then asked me to join the rewards program to which I pushed the button for "No" and...nothing. It stayed on that screen. I waited a minute or two, hit no again. Wait another minute, mash no and yes. Wait a bit longer, then hit the cancel button. Still nothing. I can't leave because it already took my card, so if it does start working then someone could fill up on my card.
I head inside, get the attendant to come out and of course when she gets to the pump it's now waiting for me to pick up the nozzle and select my fuel type.

Here I make the mistake of trying to fill up, rather than cancelling and switching pumps. I put the nozzle in, chose my fuel type. The screen goes to "One moment please"...and sits there. Pulling the handle does nothing. I try to cancel it, but nothing happens. I'm stuck again.
Head inside once more, attendant comes out and takes the nozzle out of my truck and puts it back in the pump. Pump resets as if nothing happened. She put cones up to block off that pump.
Frustrated with Shell I head to the third and final gas station all clumped together in this spot and finally get gas. No issues at all with that one.
Absolutely absurd.