Today Shadowfax lost his leash! Well, his gas cap did.
View attachment 53110
View attachment 53111
Like so many here on the forum (and I’m sure outside the forum) I found the gas cap tether to be a royal PITA. Constantly gets twisted up. This is particularly so after coming from the capless system Ford has on the F-150 and many of their other vehicles.
While there’s no way (that I know of) to switch to capless, one of these holders at least lets you remove the tether.
While I didn’t go with their holder, I do want to call out
@kmtweb here on the forum. Check out their holder here:
Hi All, I have attached pictures of the cap holder. I confirmed that the diesel and gas caps are the same size, so the cap holder will work for both. These are being sold world of mouth to members of the forum. The price a holder will be $20 shipped via USPS. All I ask is that a family/friend...
www.fordtremor.com
I went with the one I did (linked at the bottom of this post) for two reasons:
- I totally forgot that ktmweb’s existed and wasn’t reminded of it until after I ordered the one I did.
- The one I did order attaches with bolts rather than double sided tape. I’m a fan of nuts and bolts. I think there’s too much tape/glue on vehicles already, so in hindsight it’s likely I would have went the way I did if I knew about both options at the same time.
As for the install, it’s super simple. Follow the instructions in the product description on the Etsy page. Once the holder was installed, I used a right angle pick to push the plug out that was holding the tether to the fuel door, then used side cutters to snip the tether off of the cap.
Links: