Does anyone tow a Grand Design 150 series with their Tremor

My Tremor should arrive in a week and I’ve also picked out a Grand Design 278BH (reflection 150 series) 5th wheel trailer for camping. I’ve seen some people say it won’t tow level and isn’t meant to be towed with an F350. Does anyone have actual experience with this? From everything I’ve seen it should be fine but wondering before I pull the trigger on the trailer

thanks!
Any more info on towing the 278bh with a Tremor?
 
Last edited:
A couple weeks back purchased a 2021 F-250 Tremor 7.3 with the 430's, but no hitch prep package. Payload on the sticker states 2962. This past weekend I ordered a Grand Design Reflection 31MB, which has a GVRW of 11,995 and dry hitch weight of 1834. Seems like a perfect match to me.

I'm very curious to know what those who are already towing a similar 5th wheel are using for a rail system, hitch and what they think about it overall.
 
In regards to the original question, I'd be surprised if you couldn't tow the 278BH. It still has some decent weight to it, as seen below per their website. I wish I had more to add but I'm curious now too. I was looking at those as well before deciding on the 31MB.

UVW8295 lbs
Hitch Weight11338 lbs
GVWR10195 lbs
Length32'11"
Height12' 3"
 
A couple weeks back purchased a 2021 F-250 Tremor 7.3 with the 430's, but no hitch prep package. Payload on the sticker states 2962. This past weekend I ordered a Grand Design Reflection 31MB, which has a GVRW of 11,995 and dry hitch weight of 1834. Seems like a perfect match to me.

I'm very curious to know what those who are already towing a similar 5th wheel are using for a rail system, hitch and what they think about it overall.
Mine came without the 5th wheel prep package as well. I worked it out with the dealer and they installed the prep package for around $700. Took all of about an hour to do, watched them do the whole thing. It was pretty neat seeing the truck with the bed taken off. Anyways after doing that I went with the taller Anderson ultimate hitch and it’s been working out great. I’ve got a Momentum 350G that I tow with it and I have had zero issues with the hitch/trailer combo. Have been towing with it in the lowest setting to try and get the trailer as level as I can. I went with the Andersen over a slider because it is about 200lbs lighter and we’re already a little close on payload with our camper. I’ve found with the coupler in the forward position there’s more than enough room to turn without worrying much about hitting the cab.

Also since you’re talking about prospective hitch weights and all of that our 350G came in almost 200 lbs heavier than the brochure stated for hitch weight and that’s because we optioned it with a generator up front. At least with ours grand design was dead on with their estimated weight.
 

Attachments

  • 98CAE706-D0E9-4DD2-A71F-02A5834697EF.webp
    98CAE706-D0E9-4DD2-A71F-02A5834697EF.webp
    249 KB · Views: 245
So in response to my initial post I’ll give you a follow up. We ended up getting the 278BH 5th wheel and it worked great. My initial concern was not the tow capability but rather compatibility with how high the tremor sits. Wasn’t sure if it would cause issues with towing the 5er too nose up. I’ve got the Anderson hitch and it worked great!
 
Last edited:
So in response to my initial post I’ll give you a follow up. We ended up getting the 279BH 5th wheel and it worked great. My initial concern was not the tow capability but rather compatibility with how high the tremor sits. Wasn’t sure if it would cause issues with towing the 5er too nose up. I’ve got the Anderson hitch and it worked great!

Great to hear! Did you flip the axles for the height difference?
 
So in response to my initial post I’ll give you a follow up. We ended up getting the 278BH 5th wheel and it worked great. My initial concern was not the tow capability but rather compatibility with how high the tremor sits. Wasn’t sure if it would cause issues with towing the 5er too nose up. I’ve got the Anderson hitch and it worked great!
I have the tall Andersen hitch as well that I use to pull our GD 3550BH. The setup is pretty much perfect. The only things I have to watch:

  1. Contact of rig to rear window - it can get close but really only when doing a u-turn in a small(ish) area. Unfortunately the court we live on qualifies but it's doable with a spotter, patience and planning.
  2. Contact between the bottom of the king-ping box and the bed rails. I have the Andersen adapter in the forward position to move the rig back as far as possible (see #1) but this enables contact between the kingpin and the bed rails of there is articulation between the truck and the rig (think off camber turn where the trailer doesn't quite follow/articulate fast enough because it's so long).

I'm sure you'll love the setup. The Andersen is great - so easy to remove when needed.
 
I have the tall Andersen hitch as well that I use to pull our GD 3550BH. The setup is pretty much perfect. The only things I have to watch:

  1. Contact of rig to rear window - it can get close but really only when doing a u-turn in a small(ish) area. Unfortunately the court we live on qualifies but it's doable with a spotter, patience and planning.
  2. Contact between the bottom of the king-ping box and the bed rails. I have the Andersen adapter in the forward position to move the rig back as far as possible (see #1) but this enables contact between the kingpin and the bed rails of there is articulation between the truck and the rig (think off camber turn where the trailer doesn't quite follow/articulate fast enough because it's so long).

I'm sure you'll love the setup. The Andersen is great - so easy to remove when needed.
Nice, a GD 3550BH is a sweet rig! We took ours out for it's maiden voyage this past week and it worked out great. Was really pleased with the Anderson Hitch.
 
We currently have an older Jayco 27BH and are looking to upgrade to a Grand Design. Lots of Grand Design trailers among us here. This is good to know.
 
Mine came without the 5th wheel prep package as well. I worked it out with the dealer and they installed the prep package for around $700. Took all of about an hour to do, watched them do the whole thing. It was pretty neat seeing the truck with the bed taken off. Anyways after doing that I went with the taller Anderson ultimate hitch and it’s been working out great. I’ve got a Momentum 350G that I tow with it and I have had zero issues with the hitch/trailer combo. Have been towing with it in the lowest setting to try and get the trailer as level as I can. I went with the Andersen over a slider because it is about 200lbs lighter and we’re already a little close on payload with our camper. I’ve found with the coupler in the forward position there’s more than enough room to turn without worrying much about hitting the cab.

Also since you’re talking about prospective hitch weights and all of that our 350G came in almost 200 lbs heavier than the brochure stated for hitch weight and that’s because we optioned it with a generator up front. At least with ours grand design was dead on with their estimated weight.

So if this is true, I’d think that’s an ok cost to have a higher payload “rating”. Seeing how it comes with sticker as ordered, and the prep pkg taking weight out of the payload. Thoughts?
 
So if this is true, I’d think that’s an ok cost to have a higher payload “rating”. Seeing how it comes with sticker as ordered, and the prep pkg taking weight out of the payload. Thoughts?

Ultimately the trucks are rated with a GVWR, and that's what the payload sticker represents - GVWR minus factory truck weight, fuel, and 150 pounds.

So you can't really bypass the GVWR limit by getting the 5th wheel prep done after market.

Note there's also the GAWR and the tire ratings to keep in mind.

Overall the payload sticker just provides the quick guideline of how much weight you can haul so you don't need to visit a scale to get an idea of how much the truck weighs.
 
Nope! This is how it sat with everything stock
That's a good looking setup! Any issues or complaints with the 278BH? My wife and I both really like that floor plan.
 
Ultimately the trucks are rated with a GVWR, and that's what the payload sticker represents - GVWR minus factory truck weight, fuel, and 150 pounds.

So you can't really bypass the GVWR limit by getting the 5th wheel prep done after market.

Note there's also the GAWR and the tire ratings to keep in mind.

Overall the payload sticker just provides the quick guideline of how much weight you can haul so you don't need to visit a scale to get an idea of how much the truck weighs.

Im not talking about total gvwr. The more options you choose, the less your payload listed on that yellow legal sticker. I’m wondering if the 150-200lbs 5th wheel prep shows up with a reduced number on the yellow sticker.
 
Im not talking about total gvwr. The more options you choose, the less your payload listed on that yellow legal sticker. I’m wondering if the 150-200lbs 5th wheel prep shows up with a reduced number on the yellow sticker.

Sorry, correct it does. But then if you have it done later, you're still reducing your payload by the weight of the fifth wheel equipment.

Edit: likewise, if you have the factory fifth wheel prep removed, you'd gain back that payload.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom