Does anyone tow a Grand Design 150 series with their Tremor

B&W RVK3300. It's rated for 15,000k, the next one up is quite a bit more expensive, and rated for 20,000K. However, the camper is nowhere near that weight.

Yes, you are correct, the camper is slightly nose high in the picture. This was my first experience with the truck, the hitch, and the camper. The hitch does have some adjustability front back, and in its height. The picture I posted is straight from the dealer, where we picked up the camper. I had the hitch position at the setting closest to the tailgate, and right in the middle in terms of its height adjustment. Once I unhooked the camper, I did drop the hitch down to its lowest setting. It's very very close to level now, and pulls great. Just make sure you double check the height between the bed rail and your camper. Usually no less than 6 inches is recommended, but that opinion can vary.

As a side note, the camper comes with what's called a Turning Point kingpin/hitch box. There was a lot of debate online as to whether or not you could take advantage of the turning point with a B&W hitch. And the answer is yes. The fifth wheel specialist at the dealership will need to remove a few bolts, and move the "wedge" forward, all while hooked up to the truck. It's not difficult, but does take some patience. Once the wedge is securely moved forward the rotating point now moves back to the trailer hitch box, and not your fifth wheel hitch itself. I was able to back the trailer up a full 90°, at the dealership before I left, to make sure I did not mash my cab. It does make backing up a little bit more challenging, but nothing that cannot be addressed with some practice. Hope this helped, good luck.
awesome! thank you very much for great info. that really help
 
Did a test run with the new F350 and the 260RD last week. Sits close to level. Im happy with it! First big trip coming in a few weeks.
 

Attachments

  • 20210422_151920.webp
    20210422_151920.webp
    380.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210422_151855.webp
    20210422_151855.webp
    386.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 20210422_151845.webp
    20210422_151845.webp
    314.2 KB · Views: 197
Sorry I must have missed this post before! Yes it pulls great. Mileage that I’ve gotten so far is right around 8.5 with the 7.3L gasser. We really have been happy with the 278bh as well. We went with the theater seating and would highly recommend that. Quality has been good as well
I'm trying to dewinterize the camper, and am try to find the water heater bypass valve. I can clearly see all the lines behind the water heater, and don't see a bypass valve. Is there no bypass valve on this model year? I was hoping you already encountered this. Thanks.
 
B&W RVK3300. It's rated for 15,000k, the next one up is quite a bit more expensive, and rated for 20,000K. However, the camper is nowhere near that weight.

Yes, you are correct, the camper is slightly nose high in the picture. This was my first experience with the truck, the hitch, and the camper. The hitch does have some adjustability front back, and in its height. The picture I posted is straight from the dealer, where we picked up the camper. I had the hitch position at the setting closest to the tailgate, and right in the middle in terms of its height adjustment. Once I unhooked the camper, I did drop the hitch down to its lowest setting. It's very very close to level now, and pulls great. Just make sure you double check the height between the bed rail and your camper. Usually no less than 6 inches is recommended, but that opinion can vary.

As a side note, the camper comes with what's called a Turning Point kingpin/hitch box. There was a lot of debate online as to whether or not you could take advantage of the turning point with a B&W hitch. And the answer is yes. The fifth wheel specialist at the dealership will need to remove a few bolts, and move the "wedge" forward, all while hooked up to the truck. It's not difficult, but does take some patience. Once the wedge is securely moved forward the rotating point now moves back to the trailer hitch box, and not your fifth wheel hitch itself. I was able to back the trailer up a full 90°, at the dealership before I left, to make sure I did not mash my cab. It does make backing up a little bit more challenging, but nothing that cannot be addressed with some practice. Hope this helped, good luck.
I just received the B&W RVK3300 today, It rated for 20k though not 15k as your said... anyway I other question to ask of you, did you use the "wedge" comes with turning point ? or bought after market one? the reason I am asking because I did lots of internet search and some said better go for the one made specifically for B&W, it's made by Reese "SWW-06 Sidewinder Wedge Kit B&W fifth". and "some one" on internet called B&W to confirm it is one for it.
 
I just upgraded my 5er to a Grand Design Solitude
FL380. 16,800 K 3,056 pin weight over all 41'6"
The Tremor has to work a bit harder.
IMG_7219.webp

IMG_7220.webp
 
I just received the B&W RVK3300 today, It rated for 20k though not 15k as your said... anyway I other question to ask of you, did you use the "wedge" comes with turning point ? or bought after market one? the reason I am asking because I did lots of internet search and some said better go for the one made specifically for B&W, it's made by Reese "SWW-06 Sidewinder Wedge Kit B&W fifth". and "some one" on internet called B&W to confirm it is one for it.
I used the wedge that came with the Turning Point pin box. I have had no issues so far.
 
I used the wedge that came with the Turning Point pin box. I have had no issues so far.
You are correct on the hitch rating, I misquoted. Mine is also 20k, the 3405 I believe is rated at 25k.
I used the wedge that came with the Turning Point pin box. I have had no issues so far.
 
I used the wedge that came with the Turning Point pin box. I have had no issues so far.
I am considering buying the SWW-06, as it's not that expensive, to compare how it fits compared to the stock universal wedge.
 
I just upgraded my 5er to a Grand Design Solitude
FL380. 16,800 K 3,056 pin weight over all 41'6"
The Tremor has to work a bit harder.
View attachment 23669
View attachment 23668


Well this answers my question.

I take delivery on a 2021 GD Reflection 337rls tomorrow and started to question if I would have issues towing with my Tremor. I have a 2020 F250 7.3L that Ford is buying back, and I have a deposit on a 2021 F250 6.7L that I am picking up in a couple weeks.

Excited to get the diesel to get better mileage and add an aftermarket fuel tank for more capacity, and seeing you're able to tow that, it makes me feel like the 337rls (35' overall, 13900k) should be just fine.
 
Well this answers my question.

I take delivery on a 2021 GD Reflection 337rls tomorrow and started to question if I would have issues towing with my Tremor. I have a 2020 F250 7.3L that Ford is buying back, and I have a deposit on a 2021 F250 6.7L that I am picking up in a couple weeks.

Excited to get the diesel to get better mileage and add an aftermarket fuel tank for more capacity, and seeing you're able to tow that, it makes me feel like the 337rls (35' overall, 13900k) should be just fine.
the 6.7 Tremor tows like a Champ.

I have a 7.3 gas on a F350 chassis ( NON Tremor) but the 7.3 has plenty of power too. the 6.7 gets HUGE MPG compared to the gas engine.

No doubt you can tow with the 7.3 its just going to eat gas and thats life. But it does sound cooler.

Have a great camping season!
 
I'm trying to dewinterize the camper, and am try to find the water heater bypass valve. I can clearly see all the lines behind the water heater, and don't see a bypass valve. Is there no bypass valve on this model year? I was hoping you already encountered this. Thanks.
Sorry I’m just seeing this. Haven’t logged in in a few weeks! I unfortunately don’t have an answer from experience. My expectation that with the water control setup on the left side (nautilus I believe) that when you configure it for winterizing it automatically bypasses. And then if you have it in the city water or dry camp configuration that the bypass is opened back up. I would try to run run fresh water while it’s in winterize mode to clean all the antifreeze out then when your faucets/shower runs clear water switch it out of winterize mode. I’m also saying all this without referencing the manual so I could be wrong. Hopefully it helps though . Good luck!
 
thank you. i can’t test it until my 278BH arrrives in July. please let me know if your going to try it.
I installed the b&w wedge we were talking about, before my last trip, and it fit very nicely. I had zero issues, and I think it'll work out well moving forward. Definitely a better fit, obviously. However, I had no issues with the universal wedge, and I'll keep it as a backup. It was a simple install, I hope this helps. Good luck.
 
I installed the b&w wedge we were talking about, before my last trip, and it fit very nicely. I had zero issues, and I think it'll work out well moving forward. Definitely a better fit, obviously. However, I had no issues with the universal wedge, and I'll keep it as a backup. It was a simple install, I hope this helps. Good luck.
thank you very much. really helps. I will give a try as well.
 
I am in the market for a RV. Went to the dealer ship and we are looking at a 2022 Grand design 278BH. I have a 2020 F150 3.5L ecoboost Supercrew XLT with the 3.55 rear end and max town package with all the trailer stuff built in.
They are telling me the 2022 Grand Design 150 278BH is half ton friendly and I can get a 5th wheel for my short bed and town that trailer with no problem. Per fords Towing Guide I can do 14100lbs but I see also 13100 on some sites and 12500 on others.
So lots of mixed reviews.

Whats your take on it? Do you all feel I would have any issue pulling that with my truck? Also would it look crazy with a half ton having a 5th wheel? Also what kind of 5th wheel should I look at getting. I am 100% new to all this.
1626038895882.webp
 
I am in the market for a RV. Went to the dealer ship and we are looking at a 2022 Grand design 278BH. I have a 2020 F150 3.5L ecoboost Supercrew XLT with the 3.55 rear end and max town package with all the trailer stuff built in.
They are telling me the 2022 Grand Design 150 278BH is half ton friendly and I can get a 5th wheel for my short bed and town that trailer with no problem. Per fords Towing Guide I can do 14100lbs but I see also 13100 on some sites and 12500 on others.
So lots of mixed reviews.

Whats your take on it? Do you all feel I would have any issue pulling that with my truck? Also would it look crazy with a half ton having a 5th wheel? Also what kind of 5th wheel should I look at getting. I am 100% new to all this.
View attachment 27714
IMO that’s a very large trailer for a half ton. By the numbers the biggest thing you’ll run into is payload capacity once you account for the loaded pin weight (listed won’t account for batteries, propane, or even water most likely, though read the fine print). Don’t forget to account for everyone you’ll have in the truck when towing (including yourself!).

Beyond the raw numbers, travel trailer/fifth wheels tow larger than their weight because of their surface area. A flatbed trailer with flat stock steel weighing the exact same will tow significantly easier.

Check out my towing guide in my signature for how to run all the numbers, in particular evaluating your payload capacity. I would be surprised if you have enough.

For a YouTube channel that’s all about RVing and recommending RVs for certain truck sizes, check out Big Truck Big RV.
 
IMO that’s a very large trailer for a half ton. By the numbers the biggest thing you’ll run into is payload capacity once you account for the loaded pin weight (listed won’t account for batteries, propane, or even water most likely, though read the fine print). Don’t forget to account for everyone you’ll have in the truck when towing (including yourself!).

Beyond the raw numbers, travel trailer/fifth wheels tow larger than their weight because of their surface area. A flatbed trailer with flat stock steel weighing the exact same will tow significantly easier.

Check out my towing guide in my signature for how to run all the numbers, in particular evaluating your payload capacity. I would be surprised if you have enough.

For a YouTube channel that’s all about RVing and recommending RVs for certain truck sizes, check out Big Truck Big RV.
Oh and quick follow-up to this: your truck would have lots of power for the trailer. That’s not the concern. The concern is controlling the trailer in adverse (weather, hills) or emergency (swerving, stopping) conditions.
 
Back
Top Bottom