Does anyone tow a Grand Design 150 series with their Tremor

Nope! This is how it sat with everything stockView attachment 20115

That’s a great setup you got there! I just picked up my 22’ 350 Tremor and looking to get a GD 150 series 280RS…about a foot shorter than your coach. The GD dealer told me Anderson won’t work with my truck, but that’s what you have. He’s trying to sell me on one of their Pull Rite hitches. How has it been towing with your set-up? Any issues? What ‘option’ Anderson hitch did you get? Sorry for all the questions, but I’m new to 5th wheel towing and want to get it right.
 
I ended up going with the B&W hitch, and actually using the turning point option on the camper. Moving the pivot point to the trailer is a very cool option. Thanks again for your helpful tips, and insight.
What setting did you put your B&W on? Trying to set mine up to pick up our camper.
 
Mine came without the 5th wheel prep package as well. I worked it out with the dealer and they installed the prep package for around $700. Took all of about an hour to do, watched them do the whole thing. It was pretty neat seeing the truck with the bed taken off. Anyways after doing that I went with the taller Anderson ultimate hitch and it’s been working out great. I’ve got a Momentum 350G that I tow with it and I have had zero issues with the hitch/trailer combo. Have been towing with it in the lowest setting to try and get the trailer as level as I can. I went with the Andersen over a slider because it is about 200lbs lighter and we’re already a little close on payload with our camper. I’ve found with the coupler in the forward position there’s more than enough room to turn without worrying much about hitting the cab.

Also since you’re talking about prospective hitch weights and all of that our 350G came in almost 200 lbs heavier than the brochure stated for hitch weight and that’s because we optioned it with a generator up front. At least with ours grand design was dead on with their estimated weight.
Sweet set up. I just ordered a 23 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor with 7.3 and 4.30 rear. I plan on ordering a GD Momentum 320g toyhauler with the Demco Autoslide 21k hitch and gen y pin box. Gvwr for truck is 11499 Gvwr for 5er is 16800 empty pin weight is 2600 with generator and full lp tanks. Payload should be around 3900#
 
What setting did you put your B&W on? Trying to set mine up to pick up our camper.
I put mine on the lowest setting. Works nicely, and I've had no issues. I did upgrade from the 150, to a grand design 311 BHS a few months ago. I've kept the setting on the hitch the same. I have actually removed the insert from the pin box, and still have enough room to turn sharply, and it clear the cab without issue.
 
I put mine on the lowest setting. Works nicely, and I've had no issues. I did upgrade from the 150, to a grand design 311 BHS a few months ago. I've kept the setting on the hitch the same. I have actually removed the insert from the pin box, and still have enough room to turn sharply, and it clear the cab without issue.
Awesome, thank you. Good to know that it clears on the lowest. I put mine middle for the trip home, but I'll have tools along to adjust (plus hopefully the dealer will).
 
What fifth wheel hitch are you guys using with the Ford puck system? I am assuming most are using a slide hitch as well. I have a grand reflection 278bh ordered as well. Thanks
I got the Curt 25K slider for my F350 short bed. Works great. Camper towed level on OEM Tremor suspension, no bags yet.
The only concern that I have is the bed rail to overhang clearance, about 3". The pin box on my camper can be lowered one more notch to help with that clearance. Camper is a Cougar Sport 2100RK at around 7,000 dry weight.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2857.webp
    IMG_2857.webp
    102.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2834.webp
    IMG_2834.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 72
This is what it looked like on the middle setting. I didn't test much last night but I believe I can get pretty damn close to 90 degrees without using the turning point.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7200.webp
    IMG_7200.webp
    168.4 KB · Views: 71
My Tremor should arrive in a week and I’ve also picked out a Grand Design 278BH (reflection 150 series) 5th wheel trailer for camping. I’ve seen some people say it won’t tow level and isn’t meant to be towed with an F350. Does anyone have actual experience with this? From everything I’ve seen it should be fine but wondering before I pull the trigger on the trailer

thanks!
I have a 2025 tremor and tow a grand design 278bh. I had to get a subframe built for the trailer. Lift the trailer 4 inches. Cost nearly 5 grand, but turned out nice.

I have the bw companion puck system. It’s on the highest setting and the trailer is still ass low.

If I drop the bw one setting, i will have 5 1/2 inches of clearance from the bed tails to the front of the trailer cap.

This is on a bone stock tremor.


For what it’s worth.
 
I have a 2025 tremor and tow a grand design 278bh. I had to get a subframe built for the trailer. Lift the trailer 4 inches. Cost nearly 5 grand, but turned out nice.

I have the bw companion puck system. It’s on the highest setting and the trailer is still ass low.

If I drop the bw one setting, i will have 5 1/2 inches of clearance from the bed tails to the front of the trailer cap.

This is on a bone stock tremor.


For what it’s worth.
Do you have any photos of the sub-frame mod to share?
 
Any more info on towing the 278bh with a Tremor?
Your going to need to lift it with a 4 inch subframe to make it sit level. I used a b&w companion set at the highest setting, giving me approx 7 inches of bed clearance.
 
Do you have any photos of the sub-frame mod to share?
Trailer is in storage. Next time I go check on it, I will take photos. Thought I had some in my phone - I didn’t.
 
Sorry I must have missed this post before! Yes it pulls great. Mileage that I’ve gotten so far is right around 8.5 with the 7.3L gasser. We really have been happy with the 278bh as well. We went with the theater seating and would highly recommend that. Quality has been good as well
Just be sure to baby those schwintek slide rails. Had mine replaced already (under warranty - thank goodness). Enjoy - it’s a great rig!
 
Looks great. How much room between the nose of the overhang and your bed rails? I Jane the same trailer. We love it.

I am in the market for a RV. Went to the dealer ship and we are looking at a 2022 Grand design 278BH. I have a 2020 F150 3.5L ecoboost Supercrew XLT with the 3.55 rear end and max town package with all the trailer stuff built in.
They are telling me the 2022 Grand Design 150 278BH is half ton friendly and I can get a 5th wheel for my short bed and town that trailer with no problem. Per fords Towing Guide I can do 14100lbs but I see also 13100 on some sites and 12500 on others.
So lots of mixed reviews.

Whats your take on it? Do you all feel I would have any issue pulling that with my truck? Also would it look crazy with a half ton having a 5th wheel? Also what kind of 5th wheel should I look at getting. I am 100% new to all this.
View attachment 27714
Technically, your truck can pull it. I own that very trailer. It’s a great trailer, great GDesign quality, and tons of storage. My personal opinion, your truck oh going to be working overtime l, especially with the tongue weight, turbos, and brakes.

Can it do it? Sure. Would I run an 1/3 ton with that trailer? No.

Clear as mud, I know. If your in a position to upgrade to a 3/4 ton, it’s a safer bet for you and the family, and you won’t be overworking your truck.

Holes this kinda helps.


It’s a moderately heavy trailer.

The turning point hitch is a great option for the short bed f150 or 1/2 ton truck. It pushes the pivot point of the truck about 1 1/2 feet further back.

With my 250 tremor, I leave it locked out and an no where near hitting the cab if the truck with the 5th wheel.
 
I got the Curt 25K slider for my F350 short bed. Works great. Camper towed level on OEM Tremor suspension, no bags yet.
The only concern that I have is the bed rail to overhang clearance, about 3". The pin box on my camper can be lowered one more notch to help with that clearance. Camper is a Cougar Sport 2100RK at around 7,000 dry weight.
3 inches of clearance scares me. I run 7 inches. Better safe than sorry.

Good looking rig!
 
Spoke with grand design today and they said it is 61 inches from ground to the bottom of the 5th wheel overhang part. Whatever that is called. The part of the 5th wheel over the bed.
That's your pin height. Mine sags about 3" when loaded. Truck and trailer sit flat with about 5" clearance.

But I tow a cougar.
 
Back
Top Bottom