10 speed failures

Was the lurching from Park to Drive a symptom of the transmission failing? Mine is terrible that way. You best have your foot firmly on the brake!

I wouldn't say the transmission was failing but there seemed to have been a clutch out of place that may have been blocking transmission fluid from making it where it needed to go. I assume that would have been bad over time and cause a total failure.

Our lurching issue started from day 1 but was definitely getting worse. Around 4,000 miles it really started impacting connecting our camper. I would try to make a small correction, maybe a half inch correction to align the hitch ball and the lurch alone moved more than that.

Mine too. At idle when I'm under the truck it sounds like ball bearings rolling around. I'm not kidding. November of 2020 build. It also has the ticking sound at idle when you're sitting in the cab with the windows down in an enclosed area. I took it in for that and they told me that was normal sounding. It was the same sound that was on that one guys video about his bad transmission, something to do with the chain drive fluid pump maybe? I can't remember. His video was the prominent one about the transmission problems early on.
That's a pretty good description of the noise.

It’s
Double tap on the traction control button, it turns off advancetrac and turns on sport mode.
Yeah but not equivalent to the sport driving mode on a f150. Doesn’t change the shifting and hold higher rpms. I think it just disables the traction controls. I’ve tried on mine and buddies super duty. Zero difference in my opinion.

It’s

Yeah but not equivalent to the sport driving mode on a f150. Doesn’t change the shifting and hold higher rpms. I think it just disables the traction controls. I’ve tried on mine and buddies super duty. Zero difference in my opinion.
It did on mine, it immediately went from 9th to 6th and stayed there while I was on a twisty 2 lane road. I only did it for a minute though. It wasn't as significant as my 150 was though. I only had 80 miles on the truck at the time and didn't want to run it that hard yet. I'll play with it more as I put on the miles.

It did on mine, it immediately went from 9th to 6th and stayed there while I was on a twisty 2 lane road. I only did it for a minute though. It wasn't as significant as my 150 was though. I only had 80 miles on the truck at the time and didn't want to run it that hard yet. I'll play with it more as I put on the miles.
Only reduces the sensitivity of the stability & traction control according to the manual.

51CB7813-17A8-4C85-A5CA-4F6CB6DB1FDF.jpeg

I just got my truck back tonight from having the transmission replaced. The clutch pointed out around 5 minutes into this video was my exact issue.

Mine did shift rough but nothing terrible, our biggest issue was the extreme lurching from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse. It jumped like crazy, I had gotten used to it over time and it always did it from the day I picked it up new in January but it definitely got worse over time.

My truck was with Ford for 34 days in total, around a week in they provided a rental F150 which I was bake to use for around 3 weeks.

The first fix was a relearn, then they replaced the Valve Body, then went after the clutch mentioned in the video followed by a completely new transmission. It drives amazing now, better than when new.

Good luck guys. If it helps my truck is a 2021 7.3 built in November of 2020.

Yeah, mine lurches too. Thought it was just because I hadn't let it idle long enough for the rpm's to drop

Yeah, mine lurches too. Thought it was just because I hadn't let it idle long enough for the rpm's to drop

The video of the transmission teardown shows the issue is due to a clutch that is out of position which limits the flow of transmission fluid. I went through a few relearns and then a new valve body and finally the clutch but the decision was made to replace the entire unit.

I would definitely have it checked out before you are out of warranty.

So for what it's worth, my 21' Tremor shifted horribly from day one. When I complained to the dealer they wanted me to give it some time to let the trans break in. At 7k miles I had the windshield recall done and mentioned the trans shifted hash in normal mode but shifted smooth in eco mode. That dealership told me nothing was wrong. Then I found a TSB on harsh shifting that didn't apply to my truck but listed the same symptoms of harsh engagement and shifting both up and down. Took it to another dealer who preformed TSB 20-2375 - transmission accelerated break-in routine for all the clutches and it shifts great now. Exactly how I would expect the transmission to shift. And as a bonus my mpg's have gone from an average 11.5 (very little highway driving) to 12.8 over the last 200 miles.

Last edited:
I don't think Ford is responsible for a loaner unless you opted for the ESP that includes loaners. Now, the really good dealers will take care of you regardless of an ESP. With the low inventory, they may not have that many loaners now.
Yes they can give you a courtesy vehicle, but with the chip shortage, dealers can't allocate any. We have like 4 we used to have 100.

Yes they can give you a courtesy vehicle, but with the chip shortage, dealers can't allocate any. We have like 4 we used to have 100.
The point was, the dealer doesn't HAVE to give you a loaner, unless it was in your ESP contract. Standard bumper to bumper doesn't cover it.

The point was, the dealer doesn't HAVE to give you a loaner, unless it was in your ESP contract. Standard bumper to bumper doesn't cover it.
No they don't but if you bought an 80k truck they should figure something out is my point. We have had similar situations, and sales has bent over backwards to get them a car. There are also steps that can be taken that Ford can pay for partial reimbursement.

Dealer ship took the truck for a drive and after listening to my complaints agree something is up with this tranny. Going to start with the valve body when they arrive mid November. Really hoping this fixes the issues. Not a fun truck to drive around town rite now.......

I have had similar hard shifts. However, when it happens a large wrench shows up which says see the owners manual. The manual says see service manual. the dealer has it now and is running diagnostics. No report the first day.

Mine is also at the dealer since last Thursday. Had the wrench come on with no drive-ability issue felt. Scanned at work for a trans solenoid code. CEL came on on the way home, about 4 miles each way. Had noise from the trans under the truck and it shifted like crap. Had it towed to dealer and waiting patiently.

Well, went to the dealer yesterday with the lurching problem, turns out it didn't need anything to be repaired or replaced in the tranny, all they had to do was to update software on the truck. Shifts great now!
What year truck? I'm wondering if I should do this.

Back