10 speed failures

I can't say I've noticed these problems when in Tow/Haul mode. So maybe it is just bad programming. Any reason not to leave it in Tow/Haul mode all of the time? (Other than fuel economy?)

Useful article.

Question, with the ESPs, the loaners can be had immediately after purchasing the plan? For some reason i assumed ESPs kick in after 3 year 36miles warranty. Probably a wrong assumption.
No, ESPs start from the day the vehicle enters service. So you buy a 8 year, 125,000 mile, it overlaps with the 3/36. So you really only get 5 years or 89,000 miles after the factory warranty expires.

Just chiming in here...

Mine has the same quirks as those mentioned here. Also at 10,500 miles.

I have noticed the improvement in shifting with Tow/Haul as well.

I've gone back to locking out 8 thru 10 when in suburban stop and go 45mph roads. It shifts like shit in that environment, trying to go all the way from 1 to 10 and back in 1/2 a mile between stoplights. I don't need to be in tenth gear at 50 mph.

Just chiming in here...

Mine has the same quirks as those mentioned here. Also at 10,500 miles.

I have noticed the improvement in shifting with Tow/Haul as well.

I've gone back to locking out 8 thru 10 when in suburban stop and go 45mph roads. It shifts like shit in that environment, trying to go all the way from 1 to 10 and back in 1/2 a mile between stoplights. I don't need to be in tenth gear at 50 mph.
OK, dumb question, how do you lock out 8-10?

For those experiencing issues did you have them from the beginning or have they developed over some time? Just curious as I’m only at 1500 miles but finding it to be the smoothest shifting transmission on any vehicle I’ve owned.

For those experiencing issues did you have them from the beginning or have they developed over some time? Just curious as I’m only at 1500 miles but finding it to be the smoothest shifting transmission on any vehicle I’ve owned.
Hard, bad, shifts from day 1. I've had no issues at highway speeds, but anything below about 40 or 50 mph with changes in throttle position and it starts acting like it's coughing up a hairball.

OK, dumb question, how do you lock out 8-10?
The UP and DOWN arrows on the shifter. While in Drive (D), these will limit your tp gears. Press DOWN while driving and watch the tranmission gear indicator. You'll see the top gears removed from the display. Keep pressing UP or DOWN to move in the hierarchy.

For me, it seems like it got worse around ~4k miles.

No, ESPs start from the day the vehicle enters service. So you buy a 8 year, 125,000 mile, it overlaps with the 3/36. So you really only get 5 years or 89,000 miles after the factory warranty expires.
Exactly correct.

Just tried your tow/haul mode tip and it did help a decent amount, but still not perfect.

FWIW, I’ve only used Tow/Haul when towing/hauling or when driving in a spirited manner up/down a mountain (when I want the truck to hold high RPMs.)

And I can’t say I’ve really paid attention to smoothness of shifting in those scenarios.

Bummer it’s no panacea.

GM/Chevy have similar issues. My brother in law has a 2020 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax, and has been to GM dealer 4x in past 7500 miles for rough shifting, banging.

I believe Ford designed and engineered the 10 speed in conjunction with GM.

And I can’t say I’ve really paid attention to smoothness of shifting in those scenarios.

That said, I do feel like everything about the truck — suspension / transmission / power bands — smooths out when towing.

Maybe I’ll just put a few hundred gallons of water in a fire skid on the bed and call it a day.

Back