What hand gun?

As previously stated, if you’re going into grizz country, a .44 Magnum is the minimum. That’s all we bring along in AK when fishing the Kenai and other rivers. And you’d better be accurate! You’ve been given some solid advice on handguns. Perhaps the best advice is proficiency…for all of us, in any situation. Good luck on your choice!

When I'm hiking in Alaska I carry my 460 mag in a Diamond D chest rig.

I got offered $1200 for my Glock 43X that I brought with me from TX for example.
Yeah, when I went and picked up my fn fnx 45 tactical in fde the shop said I could list it for 4k and it would sell within a few days. It's a 1100 dollar gun. I get "gifted" a gun from my pops once a year. Wife loves it! Lol

You might also consider the Kimber Pepper Blaster ll . Take a look at them.

Everyone seems to think a semi-auto is the choice, but you should decide if you like a revolver. They each have advantages. That Y in the road, semi or revolver, is a good starting point. If you are interested in a revolver, but not one to always carry on you, a Smith and Wesson 686+ in .357 is an excellent choice. The 3" stainless model packs a hell of a punch, is totally reliable and easy to use. In the semi-auto world, yes, Glocks are very popular. But don't forget to look at H&K, or CZ. The H&K P2000 SK in 9mm or the H&K 45 Compact in 45 ACP are excellent guns. The CZ 75 is a very ergonomic and completely reliable gun, loved by many, including myself, which is all metal. It comes in a PCR model which is compact, 14 rounds, and an aluminum frame, or the full sized CZ75 B in steel. These are excellent guns, designed in the Czech Republic and used by police forces since 1975. Famous for reliability, durability and ergonomics. For the ultimate pocket gun for a night out on the town, look at the Bodyguard 380. Reliable, single action/double action, ergonomic for a gun that small, and reliable. In my opinion, a much better choice than a n LCP.

In CA remember the gun must be out of reach of the driver and unloaded. If you get stopped and asked if you have gun in the car, in CA tell them yes. A no answer, with a gun in the car, gets you a ride to jail. It's always better to have a permit, so get one if you can. There is reciprocity in many states and none of us need the hassle of concealing without a license. Open carrying, to avoid the concealment hassle, or just to prove a point, is gonna be more trouble than it's worth. Carrying is not a time to prove anything, or flaunt the law on principle.

Lots of good stuff in here. I appreciate it. Now I need to look at all the makes/models mentioned lol

I think I will start with a training class and then try a few options at a range. I need to read up more on concealed carry and the related stuff as well. I am considering moving my residency out of California over the next 18-24 months for various reasons, but this could be an essential step along the way.

Lots of good stuff in here. I appreciate it. Now I need to look at all the makes/models mentioned lol

I think I will start with a training class and then try a few options at a range. I need to read up more on concealed carry and the related stuff as well. I am considering moving my residency out of California over the next 18-24 months for various reasons, but this could be an essential step along the way.

My understanding with carry permits in Cali is that with your timeline you'd be lucky to get yours before you leave if you start now.

You're right. It took almost 9 months to get a vanity license plate - a carry permit is a whole different ball game lol
Here are a few posts from the San Diego thread. I am only assuming your county based on your profile location.

1711996578878.png

1711996465210.png

After your interview you will need to wait a few more months for your approval, and then a couple more months to receive it.

Here in Kern County, I only had to wait 6 months from application to carrying, all without an interview. This was ~12 years ago though.

Last edited:
Here are a few posts from the San Diego thread. I am only assuming your county based on your profile location.

View attachment 150969

View attachment 150968

After your interview you will need to wait a few more months for your approval, and then a couple more months to receive it.

Here in Kern County, I only had to wait 6 months from application to have my permit, and without an interview. This was ~12 years ago though.

I was going to suggest he check out Calguns. They are a good resource for all firearm related subjects in California.

Back when I first considered a CCW permit (never followed through) they could go to your neighbors residences to ask questions regarding the applicant and their interest in concealed carry. Crazy. Now I guess they don't do the neighbor thing but do require 3 references and possibly a psych evaluation and interview with the issuing department.

Lots of good advice here already, I'd echo the sentiment to research & try as many CA-approved options as possible.

I think you're on the right track with respect to self defense in remote areas (or in the city for that matter). My first handgun purchase was a Glock 10mm for the big bears which are a potential problem when elk hunting places like MT & WY.

The need for protection from two-legged threats was driven home a couple years ago by an encounter in the AZ desert with a meth-head carrying a machete and accompanied by two large, vicious dogs. :oops:

Having been brought up in the hunter's world as kid by my father and uncles, I have always been around weapons and having a weapon of choice by my side is simply part of my lifestyle.

As a Land Surveyor, I spend a lot of time out in the "bonnies" where we often come across a lot of these type of folks and it's not uncommon for they to feel threatened for some reason or another and potentially act in a style of self defense. We also see the veteran who's straying away from civilization and becomes uneasy when they see other civilazation within proximity. And of course, the meth-head who lives in no man's land and begin to panic because we're out with surveying equipment perhaps thinking we're doing some type of intelligence or "taking pictures".

I carry several handguns in my rig at all times and an AR.

My weapon of choice is a Dan Wesson .45 ACP, not light by any means but solid and a good feel at the grip.

To me, the .45 is the right weight and right size in comparisson to other handguns, whether big or small, and certainly tremendous knocking power.

Ammo is easily available as well as accessories, clips, etc

I'm waiting for @Rodd187 to chime in on this one.

I'm waiting for @Rodd187 to chime in on this one.
Haha, I am monitoring as I completely agree with all the comments the very knowledgeable forum members have already made. Really nothing else to add as I have my 3 that I rotate through depending on the attire. Glock 19, Sig P365, and S&W Shield but rest assured, one of these is on my person at all times.

I feel like Rodd187 is illegal in the state of California (to say nothing of his collection)... so may not be much help for the OP :LOL:
Haha, thanks brother, "illegal in the state of California" is a compliment I will take in a heartbeat!

Having been brought up in the hunter's world as kid by my father and uncles, I have always been around weapons and having a weapon of choice by my side is simply part of my lifestyle.

As a Land Surveyor, I spend a lot of time out in the "bonnies" where we often come across a lot of these type of folks and it's not uncommon for they to feel threatened for some reason or another and potentially act in a style of self defense. We also see the veteran who's straying away from civilization and becomes uneasy when they see other civilazation within proximity. And of course, the meth-head who lives in no man's land and begin to panic because we're out with surveying equipment perhaps thinking we're doing some type of intelligence or "taking pictures".

I carry several handguns in my rig at all times and an AR.

My weapon of choice is a Dan Wesson .45 ACP, not light by any means but solid and a good feel at the grip.

To me, the .45 is the right weight and right size in comparisson to other handguns, whether big or small, and certainly tremendous knocking power.

Ammo is easily available as well as accessories, clips, etc
Who would have known there was a video of AZsurveyor on line with the guns he carries?

My surveyors tell me they have the most problems when they are trying to locate monuments in unsavory neighborhoods.

Not much love for the revolver here. Doesn’t surprise me given the crowd. High tech toys are kind of a theme around here.

Still, you can’t beat a modern double-action revolver for cost, simplicity and safety. You can tell if it’s loaded by looking at it. 357 is a good self defense round and 38 specials are cheap to shoot for target practice and plinking. You already know how to operate it and a year from now, you will still remember.

A semi-auto is much cooler for sure. It’s an investment though. An investment of your money, time and energy. There’s more to do, learn and remember with a semi-auto. A skilled operator with a high-capacity semi-auto is a formidable presence. Maybe that’s you. Maybe it isn’t.

Many indoor ranges offer pistols for rent. Fun to try a bunch of different ones and see what’s right for you.

G19 is what I carry. Cheapest ammo/good caliber. Also, I don't have to worry about bears like some do. 😉
9mm is an excellent caliber. Easy to find, powerful, lots of round capacity vs 45 ACP, easy to shoot, to learn with and to practice with, accurate and cheap to buy.

If you want a 1911 style platform, but not the size and weight of a full sized 1911, the Springfield EMP Contour 9mm is a marvelously good gun. Accurate, reliable, comfortable to shoot and easy to conceal. It is such a good gun that I hesitate to carry it for fear of losing it somehow, and default to an easier to replace utilitarian gun, like an LCR 357, or a P2000SK. Both also very good guns that I'm willing to rely on. The CZ 75 PCR is also a cherished companion and I like the DA/SA operating system. The PCR goes with me on trips and lives in the camper. The LCR makes a good truck gun, easy to use, reliable, replaceable and can slip into a pocket if needed. The PCR, in addition to being a good domicile or camper gun, is a good companion on a hike in remote areas. High number of rounds, compact and light, 9mm, completely reliable, lightweight and likely more durable than a polymer gun.

It's also fun to have a kit gun on camping trips. Plinking is good practice and fun. Take a few baseballs and chase them away with your kit gun. Harder and harder to hit as you send them farther away with each hit. Young folks can learn gun etiquette and gun safety without being intimidated by recoil and noise, with a .22. An S&W stainless model 63, 8 shot 22, is perfect for this, or a Ruger mark 3 or mark 4.

Once you find a gun you really like and shoot well, that is the one you need to have handy the most. A gun only has value if you have it with you, and even if not the perfect one, is much better than nothing. Don't strive for theoretical perfection, look for ease of use, fun, reliable and easy to carry. If it is too heavy or intimidating, you probably won't take it with you, and if you need it, you won't have it.

Not much love for the revolver here. Doesn’t surprise me given the crowd. High tech toys are kind of a theme around here.

Still, you can’t beat a modern double-action revolver for cost, simplicity and safety. You can tell if it’s loaded by looking at it. 357 is a good self defense round and 38 specials are cheap to shoot for target practice and plinking. You already know how to operate it and a year from now, you will still remember.

A semi-auto is much cooler for sure. It’s an investment though. An investment of your money, time and energy. There’s more to do, learn and remember with a semi-auto. A skilled operator with a high-capacity semi-auto is a formidable presence. Maybe that’s you. Maybe it isn’t.

Many indoor ranges offer pistols for rent. Fun to try a bunch of different ones and see what’s right for you.
My favorite hand gun is my S&W .44 Magnum pistol with a 6" barrel but she's not practical to carry around as an everyday gun so she stays bedside.

Kimber .45 pro crimson carry 😊

Back