What hand gun?

Who would have known there was a video of AZsurveyor on line with the guns he carries?

My surveyors tell me they have the most problems when they are trying to locate monuments in unsavory neighborhoods.
and they're right!

Surveying land in today's abrasive world is becoming tougher and tougher despite having equipment with state of the art technology.

People think we're either up to no good or looking to "steal" land but for the most part, it's the ruthless looking to steal our stuff.

Ok, it's been a minute or two since I used a gun. To be honest, the last time I used a gun was during my time as a tank driver in the army, back in 1988/89/90.

So, I am planning for full-time travel, and I am aware of the "challenges" of taking a gun across state borders when I travel, but the question I have is what handgun to purchase. I have no idea what I am looking for and why. Glock 19 seems to be a decent recommendation, but is it the right gun for me? I do not know. I am planning to take some training classes and spend a decent amount at a gun range to feel confident that I know what I am doing.

Why do I want a gun? Self-defense. Self-defense in case I encounter a mountain lion or bear when out hiking or at camp. Self-defense, should some unlucky individual try to mess with me while I am out at camp in the middle of nowhere. Self-defense if I suddenly find myself in a sketchy situation (whatever that may look like). I am not planning to get my concealed carrying permit or at least I would not know why I need it. I am planning to have a console safe in my truck center console as well as some sort of gun safe inside my camper near the bed. Potentially, I will have a quick-release holster of some sort near the entrance of the camper. I am looking for easy maintenance, too. I travel solo with my dog and so far I have not had the need to consider "grabbing a gun" to feel protected. I have placed larger Rambo-style knifes in and around the camper in the past and I plan to do so as well. But the world is getting more crazy and the more I start travelling later this fall and winter I want to be prepared.

So, what gun would you recommend to get?
Soon as I read Bear, just go bigger then a 9m!

My go to choices depending on the caliber I feel a need for. All three are the exact same frame size and are generally able to use the same holster, other than accessory requirements.

Springfield XDM in all three cases, L-R 10mm with optical sight, 45 and 9mm. I prefer custom kydex holsters as they can be made to fit and work the way you like them to work. I mostly prefer an inside the waist band. With the kydex, re-holstering after drawing the weapon is never an issue, even with a snug belt around the outside of the holster.

With hundreds of rounds through each gun, I've never had a misfire or misfeed in any of these weapons. The prices are actually reasonable, especially for their level of reliability.

Edit- To the point of fit in your hand and ergonomics, I've never held/shot and pistol with a better feel in my hand than the Springfield XD and XdM models, other than a Browning High Power, which if you compare looks to be the design the XDM was modeled after.
1712029700460.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m impressed with how smooth it’s shoots and how accurate it is 😊
Indeed - was just not impressed with the "feel" of it. Felt too much like a toy gun.

I've been an avid hunter/collector/enthusiast/shooter/hobby competitor for a long time now. After all of these years I've narrowed down all of my handguns to two different models/types, Glocks for hard use/carry and 2011's for competition/fun. Glocks do require a different wrist/grip angle to become proficient but after you've shot them for a bit it becomes second nature. I settled on Glock because they are affordable, readily available, they have an unparalleled aftermarket and mags are cheap.

There are some great alternatives out there in the duty grade plastic fantastic world such as the S&W M&P, FN Herstal, Sig P320, Walther and CZ just to name a few. Set a budget and then go finger bang a bunch of different models at your LGS and once you've made a purchase practice and take a class or two.

For bears...I just picked up a 45-70 marlin trapper. Planning on going full space cowboy with it too lol. So unnecessary but so cool.

I own A LOT of firearms. Mostly of the tactical variety. But I recently picked up a Henry .45-70, and I absolutely love the thing. I plopped a simple, non-illuminated Leupold on top and it is just a refreshingly simple, relatively lightweight rifle that will kill anything that walks the earth. A bonus is that you don't need a spotting scope to see the holes in your target when zeroing.

I own A LOT of firearms. Mostly of the tactical variety. But I recently picked up a Henry .45-70, and I absolutely love the thing. I plopped a simple, non-illuminated Leupold on top and it is just a refreshingly simple, relatively lightweight rifle that will kill anything that walks the earth. A bonus is that you don't need a spotting scope to see the holes in your target when zeroing.
Yeah I haven't had a chance to get out to the range with it yet but man is it a cool looking rifle. The gun that won the west! Next up I want to get one chambered in .357 for cheap ammo fun.

My everyday gun is a Glock G26. I can’t tell you the last time I cleaned it. It’s shot thousands upon thousands of rounds. I don’t worry about “if” it will shoot.
Falls on the ground, darn. It sits in a cheap little holster and it gets thrown in the pocket of the center console when I climb in the truck.

Is it the best shooter? Nope, prettiest? Nope, but it will do whatever it needs to do whenever I need it to do it.

It's also fun to have a kit gun on camping trips. Plinking is good practice and fun.
That is what our Ruger .22 is for. Can't get much cheaper ammo than that! We also have a S&W .357 mag revolver and Beretta 92FS 9mm.

Glock 43 or 43x

A lot of advice in this thread - good, bad, and indifferent.

I'll just go ahead and hurt everyone's feelings in once go, since this is my passion, hobby, and life's research:

Glock 19: The most popular handgun in America for a reason. Great for the use case you are describing. Not the most concealable, but that doesn't sound like your priority. I say go for it. All of the micro-pistol recommendations are a terrible compromise in concealability vs shootability for your needs.

Springfield: Actively campaigned against the 2A in IL so that they could sell more guns. Trash company. And the XD is one of the ugliest pistols money can buy.

Canik: Turkish range toys, with a history of poor customer support when things go wrong.

Sig: A company with a growing history of "desk pops" with a penchant for using the consumer as their R&D department. They are not the Sig of old.

FN: Admittedly, I am a fan boy, but they are more expensive and starting to get into the "enthusiast" realm, rather than just practicality. There are also models with striker issues, so do your research.

Other Silly Recommendations: Stacatto (enthusiast weapon, not practical) / Kimber (fudd junk) / S&W (bootlicker special) etc... consider the source.

For bears...I just picked up a 45-70 marlin trapper. Planning on going full space cowboy with it too lol. So unnecessary but so cool.
I bought this for whitetail and just general fun. In Indiana we are limited to pistol caliber, shotgun and muzzle loaders during gun season. Nevertheless, my real interest was driven by my love for Rugar and mostly their older models. Most are familiar with the 10/22, which is the most used and well known 22 rifle in history.

Well little do most people know Rugar designed its first rifle in '59-60 and introduced the 44 Carbine in 1961. Later they expanded on the immense popularity of the 44 and introduced the little brother, the 10/22 in 1964 to complement it's bigger brother. Needless to say they hit it out of the park on both designs. The 44 mag. version finally ended production in its original form in 1985, and replaced with a similar design that is less expensive to make and has other improvements.

I've always loved this design and never thought I would own one. A few years ago I found this original model 44 in Maine, which was manufactured the first year of production in 1961, and that happens to be the year I was born. It was in such great condition that I couldn't pass it up. It's very hard to find this type of gun that has survived in almost new condition because they got used so much. This one spent the years mostly on display.
1712077113738.png
1712077263421.png

The first day I took it to the range I had way too much fun. Needless to say the fun paid me back. 🤭

My favorite.
The 44 mag has one bull elk and one cow elk notched. It’s good on a milk jug for 100 yards.
.45 Desert Eagle. I made the grips from some elk sheds.

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 15
I bought my wife a Sig P365XL, most comfortable piece I have laid hands on. I carry a Kimber Micro 9 when in town and take the Colt 1911 competition with me when out in the sticks, I may toss the Keltec KSG in the under the seat of the rear for some close encounters of the sasquash type and.

I lived in Bakersfield for 28 years. Moved there during my first career in oil exploration. I loved central CA. The desert, mountains, ocean, etc all close by. In 2016 I had had enough. My kids were adults and on their own. Politics and the one party state ruined it for me and I left. One of the 2 best things I ever did for myself, well maybe 3 since retiring last year. I have way too many guns and not going to add to the great advise already posted here except that freedom is still a thing in many (other) states and well worth persuing.

Back