Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Well made the switch to a 5th wheel - moving up from a ATC 2419 to a ATC 3619!

From this:
Sand Hollow.webp



To this - can't wait to get out on our first trip!
IWS-Inventory-1190-36-ATC-Pro-Series-3619-Silver-frost-2022-006.webp
IWS-Inventory-1190-36-ATC-Pro-Series-3619-Silver-frost-2022-020.webp
IWS-Inventory-1190-36-ATC-Pro-Series-3619-Silver-frost-2022-064.webp
 
Totally forgot to add my new camper to this thread. Not exactly the standard setup for this group, but it fits our needs perfectly.

View attachment 125423

The details:
2021 OEV Camp-X
King bed
MOLLE panels on back
20 gallons fresh water
Truma propane water and air heater
Exterior shower setup
Dometic CFX55IM
Redarc Manager30
Bunch of solar and luthium

Future plans are for a full over the top build. Wheels, tires, suspension, lights, winch, and a whole bunch of other goodness. Our last Tacoma was pretty nuts and this will be even more. We're excited.

Badass. Was really set on getting a Camp X or a Supertramp but we ended up ordering a Arkto G12. Our friends have a flatbed with the HBE and it is a really nice set up.
 
Just got home from a 14 day trip. A giant loop from Tennessee to Ontario to NY to Gettysburg to Tennessee. Truck did great. All but about 150 miles was actually towing.

Grins and Pickins Hipcamp site above Columbus, OH.
IMG_8808.webp


Niagara Falls KOA in Ontario, Canada
IMG_8826.webp


Moochdocking at friends in the Adirondacks, NY
IMG_8933.webp


Artillery Ridge Campground in Gettysburg, PA
IMG_8985.webp


The 7.3 is thirsty!
IMG_9020.webp
 
Just got home from a 14 day trip. A giant loop from Tennessee to Ontario to NY to Gettysburg to Tennessee. Truck did great. All but about 150 miles was actually towing.

Grins and Pickins Hipcamp site above Columbus, OH.
View attachment 125959

Niagara Falls KOA in Ontario, Canada
View attachment 125960

Moochdocking at friends in the Adirondacks, NY
View attachment 125961

Artillery Ridge Campground in Gettysburg, PA
View attachment 125962

The 7.3 is thirsty!
View attachment 125963
I wouldn’t be mad about that mileage with the 7.3. My 17’ 350 6.7 wouldn’t have done much better at all. With similar loads I was around 9mpg. Even just my 12’ utility trailer and a 2K lb side by side I’d drop down to 10-10.5. My 7.3 250 is about 1-1.5 mpg less than my 6.7 got all the way around, which is more than sufficient for me.
 
I wouldn’t be mad about that mileage with the 7.3. My 17’ 350 6.7 wouldn’t have done much better at all. With similar loads I was around 9mpg. Even just my 12’ utility trailer and a 2K lb side by side I’d drop down to 10-10.5. My 7.3 250 is about 1-1.5 mpg less than my 6.7 got all the way around, which is more than sufficient for me.

I average 13.5-14 with the '22 6.7 pulling our 34' TT at an average 65-70 mph on the HWY. Achieved similar MPG in my '18 6.7 as well.

Our TT is not that heavy 9-10K lbs loaded but it's a sail going down the road.

IMG_7813 (1).webp


Get the same MPG pulling our CTL or mini ex. This combo is 11K for the CTL and 4K for the trailer for 15K total. Which with the 11.5K GVW puts the combo into CDL territory at 26.5K GCVWR but I have a class A.

IMG_2857 (1).webp
 
I average 13.5-14 with the '22 6.7 pulling our 34' TT at an average 65-70 mph on the HWY. Achieved similar MPG in my '18 6.7 as well.

Our TT is not that heavy 9-10K lbs loaded but it's a sail going down the road.

View attachment 125969

Get the same MPG pulling our CTL or mini ex. This combo is 11K for the CTL and 4K for the trailer for 15K total. Which with the 11.5K GVW puts the combo into CDL territory at 26.5K GCVWR but I have a class A.

View attachment 125970

I live in west Texas. I run 80 with a load or without. Lol 65-70 got better mileage for sure.
 
I live in west Texas. I run 80 with a load or without. Lol 65-70 got better mileage for sure.

13.4-14 mph at 65-70 loaded with hills.
 
Last edited:
Since the Tremor hasn't been built yet (scheduled for the week of August 2) I had to rent this diesel to pull this rented camper. Can't wait for the 7.3. This diesel ain't bad tho!

DA
 

Attachments

  • 20230722_172813.webp
    20230722_172813.webp
    528.2 KB · Views: 74
I posted in another thread, but why not.....From the gulf coast of Tx to the San Juan's of Colorado
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6833.webp
    IMG_6833.webp
    116.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6864.webp
    IMG_6864.webp
    521.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6882.webp
    IMG_6882.webp
    189.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6887.webp
    IMG_6887.webp
    480.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6895.webp
    IMG_6895.webp
    261.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6916.webp
    IMG_6916.webp
    614.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6933.webp
    IMG_6933.webp
    341.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6942.webp
    IMG_6942.webp
    700.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6972.webp
    IMG_6972.webp
    679 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG20230710163847.webp
    IMG20230710163847.webp
    390.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG20230710174915.webp
    IMG20230710174915.webp
    342.9 KB · Views: 94
  • SimplyHDR9337415.webp
    SimplyHDR9337415.webp
    737.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2632.webp
    IMG_2632.webp
    284.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7064.webp
    IMG_7064.webp
    111.4 KB · Views: 97
I’m ready to ditch the weight distribution hitch and go standard hitch. The WDH is a pain to connect!!! I’m always fighting the SOB to get it attached. I have a standard hitch so I’ll give a short journey try. Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH? It’s only 6000 lbs
IMG_4125.webp
 
I’m ready to ditch the weight distribution hitch and go standard hitch. The WDH is a pain to connect!!! I’m always fighting the SOB to get it attached. I have a standard hitch so I’ll give a short journey try. Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH? It’s only 6000 lbs
What makes it a pain to connect? While the truck can handle it without a WDH, it will tow better with one.
 
What makes it a pain to connect? While the truck can handle it without a WDH, it will tow better with one.
I wish I had a picture to share. I have to Jack up the truck hitch to get the bars into place with the truck and camper aligned. Then push the rods into place and fix them to the trailer. Sounds easy but it’s not.

I do not have a perfectly level drive way which adds to the challenge
 
Last edited:
I wish I had a picture to share. I have to Jack up the truck hitch to get the bars into place with the truck and camper aligned. Then push the rods into place and fix them to the trailer. Sounds easy but it’s not.

I do not have a perfectly level drive way which adds to the challenge
I'd agree they are more work to set up and not needed most of the time. But that time that you need it when the weather changes quickly or you need to make some quick moves to avoid something or someone you will be thankful for having it. For me it is safer and the extra time for safety is always worth it.

You will also get better at it the more you do it. It's not hard just takes time. For your safety, your family's safety and other drivers safety, use the WDH.

Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH?
Don't give up on it.
 
I’m ready to ditch the weight distribution hitch and go standard hitch. The WDH is a pain to connect!!! I’m always fighting the SOB to get it attached. I have a standard hitch so I’ll give a short journey try. Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH? It’s only 6000 lbsView attachment 126265
I wouldn't bother with a WDH on a trailer that size with a heavy duty truck. Maybe an anti sway device. I tow a 8.5x25, 7' inside height enclosed trailer with my SD. it's pushing 7500lbs loaded up with toys. Even in blizzard like conditions, it tows fine. Just make sure you have enough tongue weight, and you should be good.
 
I’m ready to ditch the weight distribution hitch and go standard hitch. The WDH is a pain to connect!!! I’m always fighting the SOB to get it attached. I have a standard hitch so I’ll give a short journey try. Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH? It’s only 6000 lbs

That is what I love about my Hensley, back into it, connect it, and use a drill to pull up the weight distribution. No up & down of the trailer needed. That hitch would probably be overkill for your trailer but I wouldn't tow an RV without one now that I have it.
 
I’m ready to ditch the weight distribution hitch and go standard hitch. The WDH is a pain to connect!!! I’m always fighting the SOB to get it attached. I have a standard hitch so I’ll give a short journey try. Tell me I shouldn’t give up on the WDH? It’s only 6000 lbsView attachment 126265
If I am going in-state, I just use a regular weigh-safe ball. But for long drives, like VA to South Dakota, I am using my weigh-safe distro hitch. Even tho the camper is only 22ft long it still picks up a good crosswind from time to time.
 
If I am going in-state, I just use a regular weigh-safe ball. But for long drives, like VA to South Dakota, I am using my weigh-safe distro hitch. Even tho the camper is only 22ft long it still picks up a good crosswind from time to time.
Yeah, regardless of trailer weight a TT looks a lot like a sail to me. I would want some form of sway control. You don't need it until you need it as @MiTremor906 said... My WeighSafe WD hitch is pretty easy to hook up even on an incline. I have a power tongue jack though which makes it a non event... Curious what hitch you have @Briski ??
 
Back
Top Bottom