Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

No question Olivers are high quality, especially for their price point. I just wish they had a more off-road capable unit and I'm not wild about their floor plans. When I win the lottery I'm buying a Kimberley.

Still happy with our Outdoors RV. It lacks in quality in terms of appliances but overall it's pretty good. Have a couple of the support points for the thick plastic underside sheathing tear through. Would it be too much to ask to use bigger fender washers? What would that cost, another dollar? 🙄
 
Last edited:
No question Olivers are high quality, especially for their price point. I just wish they had a more off-road capable unit and I'm not wild about their floor plans. When I win the lottery I'm buying a Kimberley.

Still happy with our Outdoors RV. It lacks in quality in terms of appliances but overall it's pretty good. Have a couple of the support points for the thick plastic underside sheathing tear through. Would it be too much to ask to use bigger fender washers? What would that cost, another dollar? 🙄
Appreciate your thoughts. It was a difficult choice in some ways as we know we are probably getting the minimum space we'll be happy with. And we are certainly on the high end of the price range, especially considering the size. Overall quality and value retention were a couple of the biggest factors. The track record so far is that used Olivers that go on the market sell very quickly and for close to the original price as long as they are maintained properly.

The plus side is it's small enough to be able to go to any camp site that can be driven to, meaning national parks and the like. And when we have her at home we should be able to park her in the shed with no problem.

I wouldn't by any means say it's off road ready, but they are quite robust as far as the frame structure, and the double hull design lends to a very rigid body structure with no fastened on features inside, meaning cabinets or partitions. Of course drawers and doors are subject to rough road shocks and the like, but I'm pretty confident they too are made to hold up. No system components are located outside the double hull so they are less likely to suffer damage to components from road debris.

I really don't know to what extent we will be venturing off the beaten path, but hey we may push the limits. Regardless we will have some great adventures for a few years and when we have done as much as we can, we'll pass it on to our son and his wife, or sell it to the next interested adventurer couple.
 
I'm sure you'll be happy with it and even out here in the Wild West you would be able to boondock widely with a little common sense. I'm impressed how much thought Oliver puts into all facets of design both mechanical and finish. I find that length is more of a limiting factor than clearance, just like with my Tremor, although Mjölnir's width is more of a hindrance than length.
 
2020 Alpha Wolf 8800 lbs, the Tremor doesn’t even know it’s back there. Although I was pulling it with a Yukon before me we traded up so anything is going to seem more capable than what we had 😂. Next move is to go up to a fifth wheel now that the kids are getting bigger, but loving this setup at the moment.
63E1CE51-691F-410D-8CE4-C5BF28D5D15F.jpeg
4BAFBFDD-E3BF-442F-88DD-81F3540DC523.webp
E0A59900-3A00-4DCD-AC7B-9CB8F78AED6F.webp
84500F9C-198B-4365-998B-F0282833EA04.webp
C9553578-574D-48F7-91F0-2D92B793C078.webp
 
Check out this bad boy - MDC 17HRT. Very impressive design
and quality. I just discovered them last night. Aussie design but
I don't know yet where they're made. Hope it's Oz cause if it's
China I ain't buyin'.


edit:
They make a point of saying that key components are German
and US but final assembly is chinese. Bummer.

Here's a website that notes quality issues and poor customer service:

 
Last edited:
2020 Alpha Wolf 8800 lbs, the Tremor doesn’t even know it’s back there. Although I was pulling it with a Yukon before me we traded up so anything is going to seem more capable than what we had 😂. Next move is to go up to a fifth wheel now that the kids are getting bigger, but loving this setup at the moment.View attachment 102555View attachment 102563View attachment 102556View attachment 102558View attachment 102564
That spot by the lake looks awesome!
 
Landed in Santa Cruz, CA for a few weeks, staying at the Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay KOA just south of Santa Cruz ... I spy a gray Tremor here as well. Anyone here?

As we were pulling back to our site when we got here on Sunday I got excited to see another Airstream near us. And then another .. and another next to them. I thought we were going to have our only little impromptu rally. Nope. Not only does the campsite have cabins and bungalows for rent they also have 6 Airstreams in the park that they rent out. And we got parked right over near them.
 
Added a set of Timbrens to the rear of truck. I went with the ones spec'd for the F250 based on measurements on my truck. Yes, the Tremor has the 350 rear suspension but based on the nominal dimensions I thought they would sit too close to the axle pad and engage too soon. Glad I went this route. I have ~1.25" of clearance unloaded, and they reduced the sag when the trailer is hooked up (1k-ish tongue) by 3/4". My hitch can adjust height in 1" increments so this puts me in between settings (I thought the nose of the TT was a hair too low). Took it out for a test drive and it doesn't feel dramatically different. Any change in the road surface is damped somewhat, though. RR crossings, expansion joints, etc. Overall feels a bit more planted. Small tweak overall but a step in the right direction:

PXL_20221103_193406679.webp

PXL_20221103_190212115.webp

PXL_20221104_172045307.webp

PXL_20221104_172006061.webp

PXL_20221104_171910070~2.webp
 
Check out this bad boy - MDC 17HRT. Very impressive design
and quality. I just discovered them last night. Aussie design but
I don't know yet where they're made. Hope it's Oz cause if it's
China I ain't buyin'.


edit:
They make a point of saying that key components are German
and US but final assembly is chinese. Bummer.

Here's a website that notes quality issues and poor customer service:


Check out the High Altitude trailers. I really like this floor plan with two separated sleeping areas, enclosed wet bath, and good size kitchen. They are also made in Colorado.


 
Added a set of Timbrens to the rear of truck. I went with the ones spec'd for the F250 based on measurements on my truck. Yes, the Tremor has the 350 rear suspension but based on the nominal dimensions I thought they would sit too close to the axle pad and engage too soon. Glad I went this route. I have ~1.25" of clearance unloaded, and they reduced the sag when the trailer is hooked up (1k-ish tongue) by 3/4". My hitch can adjust height in 1" increments so this puts me in between settings (I thought the nose of the TT was a hair too low). Took it out for a test drive and it doesn't feel dramatically different. Any change in the road surface is damped somewhat, though. RR crossings, expansion joints, etc. Overall feels a bit more planted. Small tweak overall but a step in the right direction:

Thanks for the feedback. I've been interested in those for a while. I've added it to my list of future mods

Just ordered a set! (y)
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I've been interested in those for a while. I've added it to my list of future mods

Just ordered a set! (y)
Lol! I just looked these up as well. On real truck they gave an option for 8000# and 8600#. Which did you go with? On the wish list…
 
Added a set of Timbrens to the rear of truck. I went with the ones spec'd for the F250 based on measurements on my truck. Yes, the Tremor has the 350 rear suspension but based on the nominal dimensions I thought they would sit too close to the axle pad and engage too soon. Glad I went this route. I have ~1.25" of clearance unloaded, and they reduced the sag when the trailer is hooked up (1k-ish tongue) by 3/4". My hitch can adjust height in 1" increments so this puts me in between settings (I thought the nose of the TT was a hair too low). Took it out for a test drive and it doesn't feel dramatically different. Any change in the road surface is damped somewhat, though. RR crossings, expansion joints, etc. Overall feels a bit more planted. Small tweak overall but a step in the right direction:

View attachment 103097
View attachment 103098
View attachment 103099
View attachment 103100
View attachment 103101
Excellent setup! Just got mine out of the shed to get it cleaned up for a Thanksgiving trip!
 
@modified Here's a good comparison on close to the same portion of road in our storage lot. Top is stock suspension, bottom is with the Timbrens. There may have a been a bit more tongue weight in the first picture... Less than 100lbs though:

PXL_20221014_212743109.webp

PXL_20221104_170323276.webp
 
@modified Here's a good comparison on close to the same portion of road in our storage lot. Top is stock suspension, bottom is with the Timbrens. There may have a been a bit more tongue weight in the first picture... Less than 100lbs though:

View attachment 103119
View attachment 103120
That’s is super helpful and looks like exactly what I need. Just moved up a little further on the list or just ask Santa. Any improvement to the ride? Thanks for taking the time to do a picture comparison.
 
@modified Here's a good comparison on close to the same portion of road in our storage lot. Top is stock suspension, bottom is with the Timbrens. There may have a been a bit more tongue weight in the first picture... Less than 100lbs though:

View attachment 103119
View attachment 103120
Really thinking i'm changing my WD hitch to a weigh-safe. looks like you can put down your tailgate pretty easy.
 
Really thinking i'm changing my WD hitch to a weigh-safe. looks like you can put down your tailgate pretty easy.
Yes, that is one of the reasons I got this one. No issue opening the tailgate. The tradeoff is there is a bit more mechanical advantage working against the front end but to me it's manageable.
 
Yes, that is one of the reasons I got this one. No issue opening the tailgate. The tradeoff is there is a bit more mechanical advantage working against the front end but to me it's manageable.
Does the live adjustment system not transfer enough? Or because the hitch extends further out?
 
Last edited:
Any improvement to the ride?
Exactly the same without the trailer. With the trailer, in certain situations, yes. The Timbrens essentially are adding spring rate to the system and the rubber compound adds some slight damping. It takes more to initiate a reaction from the trailer tongue now that would create an oscillation/bounce. When it does, it settles quickly. On my 20 mile test tow I was searching out things that may create noticeable trailer issues - RR track crossings, dips in the road, uneven sections of the highway, etc. In its current state my trailer probably weighs 8k so you definitely know it's back there but it feels less like a separate entity and more "one with the vehicle" now if that makes sense...

I'll add that I wasn't unhappy with the towing performance before, mainly wanted to get both vehicles as level as possible. The improvements are small but noticeable, so that was an added bonus. :)
 
Does the live adjustment system not transfer enough? Or because the hitch extends further out?
No issue with the amount of adjustment. I was just referring to the fact that it puts the ball further away from the axle so the lever is increased...
 
Back
Top Bottom