Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Stupid question? I have a Coleman 18bh travel trailer. I went to look up the tires online because when I go chase the eclipse, I want to have a spare tire. Only gone within an hour of my house so far because, kids. But, long distance I want to be prepared. So it takes a LH-001 ST215/75R14. When I look it up online, the specs say it's rated for 1,870 lbs. I know that my trailer is like ~4k lbs dry. Seems to me that my tires are "undersized" doing the math. Am I an idiot or what?

Look for a higher rated tire in that size I see a D rating is readily available. https://www.trailerandtruckparts.co...ster-Trailer-Tire-2205-Lb-Capacity_p_860.html is a quick example but there are others available. You can always jump to 15s for even higher ratings but if clearance is an issue 14s are fairly common on trailers and lots of options. My experience is not uncommon for there to be some skimping on trailer tires. Technically the truck will carry some of the weight but I prefer to look at GVWR of the trailer and make sure tires are above that rating
 
Look for a higher rated tire in that size I see a D rating is readily available. https://www.trailerandtruckparts.co...ster-Trailer-Tire-2205-Lb-Capacity_p_860.html is a quick example but there are others available. You can always jump to 15s for even higher ratings but if clearance is an issue 14s are fairly common on trailers and lots of options. My experience is not uncommon for there to be some skimping on trailer tires. Technically the truck will carry some of the weight but I prefer to look at GVWR of the trailer and make sure tires are above that rating
So, I am stupid. I should be looked at all of the information on the tire. It's D rated and says 2200# at 65#... Internet says 1860# at 50# with a d rating🤷
 
1000002163.webp

So, I guess next question is what does the 103 L mean? I get the 108 is part of the load rating and the 8PR is plys? Sorry for being ignorant, just trying to learn 🤪
 
View attachment 147221
So, I guess next question is what does the 103 L mean? I get the 108 is part of the load rating and the 8PR is plys? Sorry for being ignorant, just trying to learn 🤪
The 103 is a load rating of 1929 lbs if running as duals, 108 is 2205lbs for single applications, L is the speed rating which is up to 75mph. It is my understanding that load rating decreases when running in a dual wheel configuration since they will retain a little more heat running side by side vs a single wheel application.
 
A big day for my wife and I last Thursday January 11th. We paid off our 2021 Tremor and our 2020 Oliver legacy Elite 2…whooo hooo! Waiting on North Carolina DMV to mail us our titles. No longer a slave to the lender. A great feeling. Feeling blessed.🙏🏻

Onward!!🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
View attachment 141064View attachment 141063


LOVE, LOVE, LOVE me an Oliver, hands down the best built trailers on the market. Should we ever find ourselves going full-time even a month or more at a time I think I'll be able to justify the jump to an Elite II. Until then our Casita will have to do.
 
Is your’s a 22’? I just picked up a 22’ over the weekend. Did you have a thread dedicated to your findings?
Sorry, haven't been on the site for a couple weeks.

Yes, ours is a '22. Here is another post where I listed our initial problems that we found with our Carbon... https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/tremors-and-campers-lets-talk-camping.1036/post-295997

I dropped the camper off at the dealer in December to get all the remaining things on the list fixed. One thing that I added to the list (that was kind of a big one) was that I spotted that the front cap on the camper wasn't attached and sealed properly at the roof, so they fixed that, too.

I picked it back up at the beginning of February. Everything seems to be in order, though, we haven't used it since then. We have a 2-week trip planned for the Table Rock Lake area in June, but I'm hoping to use it a few times before that.

-SR-
 
I hope Keystone built yours better than they built ours.
We brought home a brand new (albeit a "leftover" 2022 model) Keystone Carbon 338. What I have noticed is that, while the layout, design, and individual components are all fine, the assembly is absolutely abysmal.
  • Unevenly adjusted Happy Jac couches (I fixed)
  • Mis-adjusted aft patio awning (I fixed)
  • Broken driver side patio door glide (parts on order)
  • Interference between patio railing and back bay door opening (I fixed)
  • Inteference between passenger side patio door and Happy Jac couch (I fixed)
  • Damaged entry door between living area and garage room (parts on order)
  • Trim tape peeling up on all kitchen cabinets (dealer fixed)
  • Outlet hanging out of bedroom wall (dealer fixed)
  • Missing patio steps (parts on order)
  • Missing second hatch key (parts on order)
  • Open neutral on all solar-inverter-powered outlets (scheduled for dealer to fix)
  • No airflow from garage furnace vent (scheduled for dealer to fix)
  • Broken sound system bezel (parts on order)
I probably forgot a few things, but you get the idea.

-SR-
I have not climbed on the roof of mine, guess I am doing that tomorrow
 
I have not climbed on the roof of mine, guess I am doing that tomorrow
Yeah, my Coleman(same people) the Murphy bed is probably the worst quality thing so far in mine. I fixed it though 👍 and the toilet valve was leaky, and the sink was leaking too but just needed connections tightened.
 
Yea they make some unique stuff in that space. We had one of their other models for a bit and it was a quality trailer.
We've seen more than a few while out and about and toured a few thanks to some friendly camp neighbors.

One word of caution to anyone running aluminum framed trailers with steel sway bars ... don't go crazy when backing/turning. If you get too far over the steel will win in a fight against the aluminum.

We met a very nice solo female camper who got herself into a bind, literally, after pulling down a dead end alley with her SOL. While trying to back out she jackknifed and ended up hitting her bumper. With everything going on and frustration and anxiety building she kept sawing the wheel and "backing by braille", pretty thoroughly destroying her bumper in the process. But the bigger issue ... her frame. Nothing I could do for that, but we were able to find her a few shops in town. One had aluminum tubing but no time, the other time but no materials. Between the two they were able to get the frame fixed up and she could get back on the road.

Crazy, but can't say it's close to the worst I've seen people do to their rigs.

This is what we found after meeting her at a bar down the street from the campground we were both at. Got back to check out what she'd done. Not pictured is more cracking on the other frame rail and up under the front cap of the trailer.

IMG_3322.webpIMG_3323.webpIMG_3324.webpIMG_3325.webp
 
We've seen more than a few while out and about and toured a few thanks to some friendly camp neighbors.

One word of caution to anyone running aluminum framed trailers with steel sway bars ... don't go crazy when backing/turning. If you get too far over the steel will win in a fight against the aluminum.

We met a very nice solo female camper who got herself into a bind, literally, after pulling down a dead end alley with her SOL. While trying to back out she jackknifed and ended up hitting her bumper. With everything going on and frustration and anxiety building she kept sawing the wheel and "backing by braille", pretty thoroughly destroying her bumper in the process. But the bigger issue ... her frame. Nothing I could do for that, but we were able to find her a few shops in town. One had aluminum tubing but no time, the other time but no materials. Between the two they were able to get the frame fixed up and she could get back on the road.

Crazy, but can't say it's close to the worst I've seen people do to their rigs.

This is what we found after meeting her at a bar down the street from the campground we were both at. Got back to check out what she'd done. Not pictured is more cracking on the other frame rail and up under the front cap of the trailer.

View attachment 148562View attachment 148563View attachment 148564View attachment 148565

That looks like one of the first model years. inTech has since started adding support plates to the frame where you'd install the distribution bar support brackets or distribution jacks. Our 2022 and 2023 had them installed. No issues for us on BLM roads, east Texas, NE potholes, etc.

20230602_151645.webp


I'm actually surprised she didn't knock her front window out of the camper.
 
That looks like one of the first model years. inTech has since started adding support plates to the frame where you'd install the distribution bar support brackets or distribution jacks. Our 2022 and 2023 had them installed. No issues for us on BLM roads, east Texas, NE potholes, etc.

View attachment 148572

I'm actually surprised she didn't knock her front window out of the camper.

I like how you mounted the Rotopax to the tongue for your gennie.
 
I like how you mounted the Rotopax to the tongue for your gennie.
Appreciate it! I did have two of them mounted to the tube bumper on the rear of the trailer.

20230526_203010~2.webp


20230429_155400.webp


20230429_155407.webp


After I installed mounts on the rear bumper for our Starlink flagpole, I needed to move them to the front and also added two more.

20230817_184713~2.webp


20230831_164402.webp


Hope no one minds me posting all these pictures. I love to tinker with the rig and am in a constant state of doing projects. :LOL:
 
Back
Top Bottom