Tremors and Campers let's talk camping!!

Hi everyone! Our family will be taking our maiden voyage with our new F350 Tremor and T@B 400 from San Jose to Plaskett Creek Campground in Big Sur just before Christmas. I hear Highway 1 is still closed before making to to the southern part of Big Sur which is where we are headed. Does anyone have any experience with the detours in place?
nice! almost got the 400 but at the time our tow vehicle was a 2020 highlander. so we opted for the 320s boondock and camped everywhere between NV to VT and back over 5 weeks. now that i have a 350 we’re in the market for something much bigger. i still love our tab.
 
Well our pre-Christmas camping adventure turned out to be quite the experience. With 3 kids in the backseat, wife in front and trailer behind us we were instructed by Apple Maps on my wife's phone to take a detour to get to Plasket Creek in South Big Sur coming from San Jose. Since highway 1 was closed due to a huge landslide, just before Plaskett Creek Campground we took hwy 101 South until just past Paso Robles. From there they had us exist Jolon Rd which took us through a military training ground called Hunter Liggett. after traveling down the seemingly abondoned road for 15-20 minutes (no cars in sight) we came to the end of a paved road and were now on a dirt road for another 30+ minutes. Since we just had a good amount of rain over the previous week the roads were very muddy. The truck did great but once it started sliding around on uphill climbs in the mud I put it in 4wd. With the camper behind us and night time approaching, things started to get a bit crazy. The hills and cliff drop offs were very unnerving for my family (and me). Finally we got to a point where we saw 2 cars stopped about 100 yards in front of us. Two ladies were standing outside their car and the car behind them started backing up towards us. I flagged down the driver who informed that they were stuck and the road was out, but that someone was coming for them. Not sure how they were able to make that happen since we were in an area with no cell signal. The couple who backed out said they were turning back towards the freeway and I let them know we would be following them out as well. So now with no way to get to our campsite I started thinking about where would would be sleeping that night and possibly the rest of the 3 night trip. We ended up finding an RV park in Morro Bay (Rancho Colina) that was really nice with full hookups. The next day we took our truck into town where they had a farmers market. There was a young gentleman selling "Big Sur Jade" who I proceeded to tell my story to about trying to get there the day before. He told me that I was lucky to be standing in front of him since had we made it over the crest of the mountain the road was completely broken up and there was very little chance we would have made it out of there. I could only think how I should have done a much better job of planning our route and should never have put my family in danger. Lesson learned.
 
Well our pre-Christmas camping adventure turned out to be quite the experience. With 3 kids in the backseat, wife in front and trailer behind us we were instructed by Apple Maps on my wife's phone to take a detour to get to Plasket Creek in South Big Sur coming from San Jose. Since highway 1 was closed due to a huge landslide, just before Plaskett Creek Campground we took hwy 101 South until just past Paso Robles. From there they had us exist Jolon Rd which took us through a military training ground called Hunter Liggett. after traveling down the seemingly abondoned road for 15-20 minutes (no cars in sight) we came to the end of a paved road and were now on a dirt road for another 30+ minutes. Since we just had a good amount of rain over the previous week the roads were very muddy. The truck did great but once it started sliding around on uphill climbs in the mud I put it in 4wd. With the camper behind us and night time approaching, things started to get a bit crazy. The hills and cliff drop offs were very unnerving for my family (and me). Finally we got to a point where we saw 2 cars stopped about 100 yards in front of us. Two ladies were standing outside their car and the car behind them started backing up towards us. I flagged down the driver who informed that they were stuck and the road was out, but that someone was coming for them. Not sure how they were able to make that happen since we were in an area with no cell signal. The couple who backed out said they were turning back towards the freeway and I let them know we would be following them out as well. So now with no way to get to our campsite I started thinking about where would would be sleeping that night and possibly the rest of the 3 night trip. We ended up finding an RV park in Morro Bay (Rancho Colina) that was really nice with full hookups. The next day we took our truck into town where they had a farmers market. There was a young gentleman selling "Big Sur Jade" who I proceeded to tell my story to about trying to get there the day before. He told me that I was lucky to be standing in front of him since had we made it over the crest of the mountain the road was completely broken up and there was very little chance we would have made it out of there. I could only think how I should have done a much better job of planning our route and should never have put my family in danger. Lesson learned.
As an Android user I would have to tell you to use Google maps and you would have been Ok, but I am kidding. I am glad you guys are safe. It's crazy in some areas.

PS: Google tried to route me up Whitney Portal road today even though it was closed due to construction or repairs. Just because I have a Tremor ... :ROFLMAO: :cool:
 
About 30-40 minutes south of Mammoth. Beautiful, but cold. I had a van lifer follow me into this area, but "fortunately", I found a "gatekeeper," aka some ground clearance required trail area. Nobody near. Just views!
PXL_20231227_234033908.webp

PXL_20231228_002114309.webp

PXL_20231227_234030455.webp
 
As an Android user I would have to tell you to use Google maps and you would have been Ok, but I am kidding. I am glad you guys are safe. It's crazy in some areas.

PS: Google tried to route me up Whitney Portal road today even though it was closed due to construction or repairs. Just because I have a Tremor ... :ROFLMAO: :cool:
I honestly never use Apple Maps. I only use Google maps, but this time my wife was navigating from her iPhone. I forgot to mention the road we ended up on was "closed" 2 years ago but someone must have cut the lock to the opened gate.
 
I honestly never use Apple Maps. I only use Google maps, but this time my wife was navigating from her iPhone. I forgot to mention the road we ended up on was "closed" 2 years ago but someone must have cut the lock to the opened gate.

Agreed, Apple Maps are trash.
 
I honestly never use Apple Maps. I only use Google maps, but this time my wife was navigating from her iPhone. I forgot to mention the road we ended up on was "closed" 2 years ago but someone must have cut the lock to the opened gate.
Tell her to put Google maps on her phone. Pretty sure they have an app now? I dunno, won't touch an Apple device to save my life 😜
 
Well our pre-Christmas camping adventure turned out to be quite the experience. With 3 kids in the backseat, wife in front and trailer behind us we were instructed by Apple Maps on my wife's phone to take a detour to get to Plasket Creek in South Big Sur coming from San Jose. Since highway 1 was closed due to a huge landslide, just before Plaskett Creek Campground we took hwy 101 South until just past Paso Robles. From there they had us exist Jolon Rd which took us through a military training ground called Hunter Liggett. after traveling down the seemingly abondoned road for 15-20 minutes (no cars in sight) we came to the end of a paved road and were now on a dirt road for another 30+ minutes. Since we just had a good amount of rain over the previous week the roads were very muddy. The truck did great but once it started sliding around on uphill climbs in the mud I put it in 4wd. With the camper behind us and night time approaching, things started to get a bit crazy. The hills and cliff drop offs were very unnerving for my family (and me). Finally we got to a point where we saw 2 cars stopped about 100 yards in front of us. Two ladies were standing outside their car and the car behind them started backing up towards us. I flagged down the driver who informed that they were stuck and the road was out, but that someone was coming for them. Not sure how they were able to make that happen since we were in an area with no cell signal. The couple who backed out said they were turning back towards the freeway and I let them know we would be following them out as well. So now with no way to get to our campsite I started thinking about where would would be sleeping that night and possibly the rest of the 3 night trip. We ended up finding an RV park in Morro Bay (Rancho Colina) that was really nice with full hookups. The next day we took our truck into town where they had a farmers market. There was a young gentleman selling "Big Sur Jade" who I proceeded to tell my story to about trying to get there the day before. He told me that I was lucky to be standing in front of him since had we made it over the crest of the mountain the road was completely broken up and there was very little chance we would have made it out of there. I could only think how I should have done a much better job of planning our route and should never have put my family in danger. Lesson learned.
Good ol Hunter Liggett. I used to hunt there every year with my dad in the 60's. We always went deer hunting in summer with a special permit and traveled those back roads in an old Power Wagon. Lots of good memories. Paso Robles is where I bought my first "new" boat and fished Lake Nacimiento.

Sorry you didn't get to your initial destination, would have been pretty cool.
 
Well our pre-Christmas camping adventure turned out to be quite the experience. With 3 kids in the backseat, wife in front and trailer behind us we were instructed by Apple Maps on my wife's phone to take a detour to get to Plasket Creek in South Big Sur coming from San Jose. Since highway 1 was closed due to a huge landslide, just before Plaskett Creek Campground we took hwy 101 South until just past Paso Robles. From there they had us exist Jolon Rd which took us through a military training ground called Hunter Liggett. after traveling down the seemingly abondoned road for 15-20 minutes (no cars in sight) we came to the end of a paved road and were now on a dirt road for another 30+ minutes. Since we just had a good amount of rain over the previous week the roads were very muddy. The truck did great but once it started sliding around on uphill climbs in the mud I put it in 4wd. With the camper behind us and night time approaching, things started to get a bit crazy. The hills and cliff drop offs were very unnerving for my family (and me). Finally we got to a point where we saw 2 cars stopped about 100 yards in front of us. Two ladies were standing outside their car and the car behind them started backing up towards us. I flagged down the driver who informed that they were stuck and the road was out, but that someone was coming for them. Not sure how they were able to make that happen since we were in an area with no cell signal. The couple who backed out said they were turning back towards the freeway and I let them know we would be following them out as well. So now with no way to get to our campsite I started thinking about where would would be sleeping that night and possibly the rest of the 3 night trip. We ended up finding an RV park in Morro Bay (Rancho Colina) that was really nice with full hookups. The next day we took our truck into town where they had a farmers market. There was a young gentleman selling "Big Sur Jade" who I proceeded to tell my story to about trying to get there the day before. He told me that I was lucky to be standing in front of him since had we made it over the crest of the mountain the road was completely broken up and there was very little chance we would have made it out of there. I could only think how I should have done a much better job of planning our route and should never have put my family in danger. Lesson learned.

Wow, what a trip and I'm glad you made it out okay. It should be a memorable one at least for the family. Next time you're in the Morro Bay area don't forget to drive onto the Pismo Dunes in Oceano. Air down your tires and you can make it all through there no problem, but make sure you buy a flag first. You can even camp on the dunes if you would like but I prefer not to get the inside of my trailer all sandy.
 
Finally got to hook her up to my TT! Even if it is just to take it to camping world for a recall 🤣View attachment 138813
Nice! Mine is at the dealer getting a recall item addressed as well for the awning... Hopefully I will get it back before the snow flies. Good luck with yours, hopefully something minor.
 
Nice! Mine is at the dealer getting a recall item addressed as well for the awning... Hopefully I will get it back before the snow flies. Good luck with yours, hopefully something minor.
Mine was the awning as well. They did an inspection and said it was fine. I figured it was good to go but wanted to pass the liability on to the dealer in case it did come off. I ain't got time to get sued over someone else's workmanship. 😜
 
𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝗕𝘆 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 ⁣⁣
This year has taken us across the country, from California back to Florida. It’s been 18 months since we hit the road and left Florida behind. Now we are back for a few months to visit with friends and family before heading back out to explore the Midwest in 2024.

⁣⁣In 2023 we:
⁣- visited 14 states⁣
- stayed at 28 different sites
⁣- towed just under 4,800 miles ⁣
- drove a total of 16,000 miles
⁣- used 1,175 gallons of diesel ⁣
- spent $5,041 on that fuel⁣
- at an average cost of $4.29/gal⁣
- and averaged 13.65 MPG along the way

⁣⁣Here’s to the end of a great year of travel while we look ahead to future adventures. See you down the road.

2023 Travel.webp


 
𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝗕𝘆 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 ⁣⁣
This year has taken us across the country, from California back to Florida. It’s been 18 months since we hit the road and left Florida behind. Now we are back for a few months to visit with friends and family before heading back out to explore the Midwest in 2024.

⁣⁣In 2023 we:
⁣- visited 14 states⁣
- stayed at 28 different sites
⁣- towed just under 4,800 miles ⁣
- drove a total of 16,000 miles
⁣- used 1,175 gallons of diesel ⁣
- spent $5,041 on that fuel⁣
- at an average cost of $4.29/gal⁣
- and averaged 13.65 MPG along the way

⁣⁣Here’s to the end of a great year of travel while we look ahead to future adventures. See you down the road.

View attachment 139069


Holler if you decide to make it through Texas along the coast.
 
Holler if you decide to make it through Texas along the coast.
We will make it through Texas at some point. We only spent a little time in Athens when we first hit the road, so we've got a lot more state to visit.
 
I bought the same trailer in a 2021 Titanium version. We bought it used in 2022. Previous owner went to a larger trailer.
I'm happy with everything except the slide mechanism. We've had part of it replaced but are still not happy with it. I'm thinking I'll eventually have the Vroom system installed.

I am totally disappointed of any big travel trailer dealer/shop, especially "Camping World" Henderson, NV.

I went to *two big travel trailer shops to fix something and both time the failed totally. *Camping World, Henderson and La Mesa, Tucson, AZ

When I need something to repaired on my Outdoor TT I will always try to go back to my sales dealer, Thompson RV, in Pendleton, OR.

They helped me already a lot an when they fixed something, than it was fixed.

I bent my my stabilizer because it was my first time and I forget them to retract first before I move one inch :eek::oops:
A guy from Thompson (great repair/technical guy) came to me (1 hour away) bend them back and I could go back to Pendleton to replace them.

Furnace didn't work over 3.000 feet. Suburban send me to Camping World, Henderson, NV. The reported, furnace works at 1.000 feet..... (OF COURSE!!!)
Suburban said, it's not a warranty case because it's working (at 1.000 feet) BUT I can fixed it every time I am traveling over 3.000 feet with change a 'orifice' at my furnace every time. So, Suburban KNOWS that there is a problem with some of there furnaces but is NOT willing to help out the customers.
They prefer to have the problem solved by the customer and reject any warranty claims. It's also much cheaper and easier. Suburban simply writes that we will not honor the warranty claim and the customer is the fool.
But Thompson RV has told me and agreed with me that what Suburban says is bullshit. There are tons of other customers with working furnaces over 10,000 feet.
Thompson just replaced the entire furnace and it works fine after that.
This is proof that Suburban is incompetent OR screwing customers and not honor there warranty.
 
Well our pre-Christmas camping adventure turned out to be quite the experience. With 3 kids in the backseat, wife in front and trailer behind us we were instructed by Apple Maps on my wife's phone to take a detour to get to Plasket Creek in South Big Sur coming from San Jose. Since highway 1 was closed due to a huge landslide, just before Plaskett Creek Campground we took hwy 101 South until just past Paso Robles. From there they had us exist Jolon Rd which took us through a military training ground called Hunter Liggett. after traveling down the seemingly abondoned road for 15-20 minutes (no cars in sight) we came to the end of a paved road and were now on a dirt road for another 30+ minutes. Since we just had a good amount of rain over the previous week the roads were very muddy. The truck did great but once it started sliding around on uphill climbs in the mud I put it in 4wd. With the camper behind us and night time approaching, things started to get a bit crazy. The hills and cliff drop offs were very unnerving for my family (and me). Finally we got to a point where we saw 2 cars stopped about 100 yards in front of us. Two ladies were standing outside their car and the car behind them started backing up towards us. I flagged down the driver who informed that they were stuck and the road was out, but that someone was coming for them. Not sure how they were able to make that happen since we were in an area with no cell signal. The couple who backed out said they were turning back towards the freeway and I let them know we would be following them out as well. So now with no way to get to our campsite I started thinking about where would would be sleeping that night and possibly the rest of the 3 night trip. We ended up finding an RV park in Morro Bay (Rancho Colina) that was really nice with full hookups. The next day we took our truck into town where they had a farmers market. There was a young gentleman selling "Big Sur Jade" who I proceeded to tell my story to about trying to get there the day before. He told me that I was lucky to be standing in front of him since had we made it over the crest of the mountain the road was completely broken up and there was very little chance we would have made it out of there. I could only think how I should have done a much better job of planning our route and should never have put my family in danger. Lesson learned.

Apple Maps and Google Maps have sent me on routes like this.
 
Apple Maps and Google Maps have sent me on routes like this.
We've been using RV Trip Wizard/RV Life for our route planning and day-of GPS. It has some RV specific filters and has been an overall positive for us. We still use a second source to double-check the route, especially in big cities or when getting close to our destination.
We also use it for camp ground reviews and make a point to leave detailed reviews ourselves.

There is a 7-day free trial and I've got a 25% off code, if anyone is interested. https://tripwizard.rvlife.com/#658464c8c6e5f
 
Finally was able to pick up my TT today. What a cluster...

I dropped it off at the end of September to catch the end of the 1 yr. OEM warranty for several items we had found on our recent trip. Dealer agreed the items should be covered. Winnebago did not. I could expand on this but it was clear they just didn't want to entertain facts. After a month of getting nowhere with Winnebago I told the dealer to just fix it. They finally received the parts they needed and got it done.

So I show up a bit early so I can check things out to find the cover off of my battery box which I found to be odd. I try the power winch button, nada. Great, so both batteries are dead. Did a bit more investigation and find the bathroom vent was left wide open, light and vent switches both in the "on" position. Ok, so there is the source of the battery drain... Nice little chunk of ice in the toilet bowl sitting on the seal with no trace of antifreeze (they were responsible for winterization).

Just plain sloppy, sloppy, work. The service advisor was apologetic and had said that they are having trouble finding good techs. It doesn't give me confidence in their work, though (main item was the plumbing from all three tanks leaked when dumping).

Really just makes me think I'll start tackling anything that comes up myself. I don't think I could do any worse, honestly.

Gratuitous picture from today:

PXL_20240105_183837848.webp


We really like the trailer, but can't say that I would recommend Winnebago or any of their brands (Grand Design, etc) due to their lack of consideration, one-sided customer service process, and faulty logic during this interaction. Pathetic. They've lost at least one customer.

Live and learn I suppose... :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top Bottom