Tremor Payload??

I have never heard of Barney Fife breaking out a scale in my area, but if we get to that point, then I start claiming exemption as a farmer under Texas law. Just my strategy, fwiw.
They do around here. I see it about once a week.
I'm a couple miles off a major interstate and when people pull off to get gas, they are more than happy to give you a free weight check.
They focus mostly on business trucks (signage), not so much personal vehicles.
But if you have a dually with a trailer, you are more likely to get stopped either way.

I know this is always a subject of debate, but I get the 10,000lbs derate so I can hook up my 16kgvwr trailer and still be at 26,000lbs total gvwr if I get hassled by a cop on the side of the road and thus not in CDL territory.
I just did the opposite for my F350. They gave me 10k plates. I had to bump it up to 12k plates.
GWVR is 11,300 either way.
But I plan on carrying a camper, so I know I'll be over 10k for sure. Should be under 12k.
But can still tow a 14k trailer.

Licensing weights are very different than actual weights.
You get in a lot more trouble for not paying taxes than being illegal around here.

Not in Texas. My understanding is in some jurisdictions there is.
Ok so I have to ask, then... Why not save the money and get the 250?

Not who you're asking, but this is a tough one to answer since we "know" the 250/350 are the same truck (with same engine).
Correct. I made the decision to go F250 for a similar line of thinking to the statements made by @Avslash . One thing that comes to mind is with the 350 you get a higher GCWR. I was fine with 24.9k for my uses. Perhaps the extra rating was the motivation since he stated he has a 16k trailer...

Not who you're asking, but this is a tough one to answer since we "know" the 250/350 are the same truck (with same engine).
In a non-Tremor, the answer is obvious; increased payload.

In my case, I didn’t know enough at the time to realize the Tremor 250/350 are supposedly the same truck.

I have previously researched the F350 derate option and I’m confident it is a paper only option. I can find zero evidence of any mechanical change when that option is selected, so 350 with derate is what I was looking for.

On the Tremor, it’s kind of like Spinal Tap; “but these amps go to eleven.” But mine says 350…

In a non-Tremor, the answer is obvious; increased payload.

In my case, I didn’t know enough at the time to realize the Tremor 250/350 are supposedly the same truck.

I have previously researched the F350 derate option and I’m confident it is a paper only option. I can find zero evidence of any mechanical change when that option is selected, so 350 with derate is what I was looking for.

On the Tremor, it’s kind of like Spinal Tap; “but these amps go to eleven.” But mine says 350…
I think you made the right call, though! See my response above, had you gone 250 you wouldn't be able to legally pull your trailer. As I was refreshing my memory on the various GCWRs I kinda answered my own question...

I think you made the right call, though! See my response above, had you gone 250 you wouldn't be able to legally pull your trailer. As I was refreshing my memory on the various GCWRs I kinda answered my own question...
That makes sense to me especially in a area that could be sticklers on ratings.

All of this gets incredibly hard to sort through for the user between state and federal regs and manufacturer specs.

For instance, for a non-derated F350 Tremor, the 2022 Towing Guide states maximum gooseneck trailer weight of 20,000lbs and for a de-rated F350 it states 18,200 pounds with no mention of "Tremor". So add back the 1,300 lbs you're derating and you hit 19,500lbs. What happened to the other 500 pounds to get back to the non-derated Tremor, which is already derated by 200 pounds from a non-Tremor. Additionally, there is no asterisk and footnote for GCVWR for a de-rated F350. That number remains the same at 27,500, for Tremor, Non-Tremor, derated or non-derated truck. In a previous life, I was a CPA and this kind of stuff would have driven me nuts.

Hence, I hit on my solution. Derated F350 I'm within spec and legal under state law and federal regs on GCVWR and trailer weight and below CDL territory virtually everywhere. I'm busted on payload, but as I said, other than commercial vehicle weigh stations, I have never seen a cop weigh a rig in Texas, and to do it right they would have to split the truck and trailer to weigh each individually. Our local Barneys aren't going to work that hard, and I'm not even sure if "payload" is an enforceable term under Texas or Federal law. Maybe it is, I just don't know.

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate for minute to hitch up a 20,000lbs load if I needed to move it and if the law wanted to visit, I'm a farmer within 150 miles of my farm which is the trump card in Texas. Which would be true, for anywhere I am remotely likely to be hauling that much weight.

Here is an updated payload post 23 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor with moonroof no bedliner

Attachments

• 20230828_175537.jpg
    20230828_175537.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230828_175551.jpg
    20230828_175551.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230828_175935.jpg
    20230828_175935.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 75
Nice payload & even nicer truck!
Thanks unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control I wasn't able to take delivery. I am hoping to get my 24MY f350 platinum tremor 7.3 in a few months.

Here is an updated payload post 23 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor with moonroof no bedliner
What payload you’ll end up with is hard to figure out. I thought the 23+ SD’s had higher payloads, but that truck is nearly identical to my 21 KR Ultimate Tremor 7.3.

What payload you’ll end up with is hard to figure out. I thought the 23+ SD’s had higher payloads, but that truck is nearly identical to my 21 KR Ultimate Tremor 7.3.

The '23/24 do have a higher GVWR by a few hundred lbs but unless the two trucks are optioned identical to one another a comparison is meaningless. All it would take is 2 or 3 heavy options that yours might not have to even things up.

The '23/24 do have a higher GVWR by a few hundred lbs but unless the two trucks are optioned identical to one another a comparison is meaningless. All it would take is 2 or 3 heavy options that yours might not have to even things up.
I figured it's something to give a starting point. This truck had pretty much all options that are included in the Platinum minus the bedliner, tonneau cover and max recline seats.

Payload didn’t go up much for the standard F350 7.3Ls Tremors (199lbs) over the prior generation and I suspect there was a slight curb weigh change in 23 now that they went to a 11.6”sterling diff vs old Dana M275 10.8”. The diesels saw a more noticeable increase of 500LBs in F350 Tremors forum .

Payload didn’t go up much for the standard F350 7.3Ls Tremors (199lbs) over the prior generation and I suspect there was a slight curb weigh change in 23 now that they went to a 11.6”sterling diff vs old Dana M275 10.8”. The diesels saw a more noticeable increase of 500LBs in F350 Tremors forum .
This 23 350 lariat 7.3 tremor curb weight was 7590 with GVWR at 11499

Back