Carpet Delete Missionary
Staff member
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 Tremor 7.3L
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Looking to have something on-hand to use for trailer safety chains that is easily removable. That latter part is what rules hammerlocks out as, while they are technically removable, they would be a pain to do so on any remotely regular basis. I also don't want to be tied to specific trailers, so that rules out swapping hooks to ones that fit in the dumb receiver design.

My top contender right now is a pair of bow shackles with safety pins, like below, but I'm curious if folks have better options.

Edit: To clarify, bow shackles without a safety pin absolutely aren’t an option for this scenario because of the risk of the pin backing out.

1632446435377.png

Last edited:
That's what I use. I got some of the plastic dip for tool handles and dipped the round part of the shackle in it a few times, drying in between. I just leave them on the hitch. The plastic coating makes them some what anti-rattle.
1632542419498.png

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with using the shackles just keep in mind the load is reduced when the shackles are held at a different angle, i.e. when they will actually be in use saving your trailer. I have shackles on mine but I use them for my small trailer. I changed the hooks on my camper to fit in my hitch.

shackle_side_load_chartandillustration.png

Good info above. I use them as well. I mount them horizontally so it's a straight pull on the chain in case of FUBAR. That plastic dip is a good idea. I went full hillbilly and just put a few wraps of electrical tape in the rub area. No noise detected when driving.

Why do they need to be removable exactly? I can’t hear my hammerlocks making any noises while driving around without a trailer.

I find that hard to believe because I can hear my shackles unless I bind them. If the windows are open.

Have you driven around with the back window open? Or is it still 100% humidity out there?

IMO, the safety pin is overthinking it.

I’ve yet to have the pin on my shackles budge in 6000 miles. And the likelihood that I’ll ever actually put any load on the shackles is extremely low. The likelihood that a hitch breaks and I engage my safety chains and the shackle pin happened to back out on that trip is effectively nil.

You could zero that out further with a bit of loctite.

All of this said, I don’t really like the way shackles fit on the hitch.

I’d like to try removable hammerlocks but have yet to see any in black. I’d go with permanent hammerlocks if someone could convince me that they’re any quieter than shackles.

IMO, the safety pin is overthinking it.

I’ve yet to have the pin on my shackles budge in 6000 miles. And the likelihood that I’ll ever actually put any load on the shackles is extremely low. The likelihood that a hitch breaks and I engage my safety chains and the shackle pin happened to back out on that trip is effectively nil.

You could zero that out further with a bit of loctite.

All of this said, I don’t really like the way shackles fit on the hitch.

I’d like to try removable hammerlocks but have yet to see any in black. I’d go with permanent hammerlocks if someone could convince me that they’re any quieter than shackles.
I think you’re right. When rigging things for the crane they use the shackles with out a pin 99% of the time. Unless it’s required by osha/asme (for things like a man basket, etc.) they use the regular shackles unless it’s something that rarely gets removed or it’s part of the crane.

I’ve seen shackles stay on the same piece for weeks and all they do is check them for tightness. You can also use some kind of wire or a zip tie to make sure it doesn’t loosen.
AB501878-33BC-436E-ACB1-2D5A3CDFF759.jpeg

On the 250, I've yet to find a safety chain that fits in the holes.
Surprisingly the chains on our new travel trailer fit right out of the gate. I bought replacement hooks for my other trailers and keep a set of shackles in the truck in case I have to tow something else that doesn’t fit.

Pretty sure we have the same receiver and the hooks on my boat trailer fit perfectly. They only fit one way in and out, but there's no issue.

The 350 and the 250 have different receivers.

There are some hooks that will fit on the 250 as noted above, but they're rare. If you have multiple trailers or tow other people's trailers it's easier to use some shackles than to swap out hooks.

The 350 and the 250 have different receivers.

There are some hooks that will fit on the 250 as noted above, but they're rare. If you have multiple trailers or tow other people's trailers it's easier to use some shackles than to swap out hooks.

No, they don't have different receivers. I had a 2020 F250 Tremor and a 2021 F350 Tremor. Maybe there's a difference between gas and diesel, but it's not as simple as F2 to F3.

In any event, here's how to do it. Works every time with every trailer I've tried:

No, they don't have different receivers. I had a 2020 F250 Tremor and a 2021 F350 Tremor. Maybe there's a difference between gas and diesel, but it's not as simple as F2 to F3.

In any event, here's how to do it. Works every time with every trailer I've tried:

They most certainly have different receivers. Not only with different receiver sizes (2.5" vs. 3.5") and weight ratings, but with different holes for hooks. This is extremely well documented here and elsewhere.

They most certainly have different receivers. Not only with different receiver sizes (2.5" vs. 3.5") and weight ratings, but with different holes for hooks. This is extremely well documented here and elsewhere.

Pretty sure the gassers have the little receiver, and diesels have the big one. My F250's receiver insert now lives inside my F350 because they're the same.

Now, back to the chain holes: Are they different?

Pretty sure the gassers have the little receiver., and diesels have the big one. My F250's receiver insert now lives inside my F350 because they're the same.

Now, back to the chain holes: Are they different?

LOL. If you spent as much time reading as you do trying to convince yourself you’re right you would have already answered your own question,

Yes, the chain holes are different.

Moving on…

LOL. If you spent as much time reading as you do trying to convince yourself you’re right you would have already answered your own question,

Yes, the chain holes are different.

Moving on…

Now much convincing needed. Evidently I was right and the split is defined by engine, not badge. Guess I read enough. Thanks.

Back