Raptor Steering Wheel Mod - Super Duty Tremor

Install question for someone more knowledgeable than me - got everything installed for the heated Raptor wheel, I made all Forscan changes except I can’t get the HSWM to evidence itself in Forscan. I've been given to understand that once all of the hardware is installed, HSWM automatically populates when you open Forscan and don’t use a saved build. Nothing so far. Following Ryan’s instructions for connection, only variation I found was the white wire to the BCM is supposed to go into slot 16. Slot 16 was occupied by a yellow wire, so I used slot 15 per another install video that suggested either 15 or 16 would work, and they appear to have the same functionality. I do have a functional heated wheel icon in climate controls, so there is that 😂. No DTCs, so I didn’t grenade anything. suggestions?
Forscan? I assume you didn't originally have a heated wheel?

HSWM automatically populates when you open Forscan and don’t use a saved build.
Correct. Just to be sure, when Forscan loads you should answer no to the question of loading a previous profile. That should force a rescan of the modules and then the HSW module should show up. I would try it several times including cycling the ignition on/off. I will look back and see if there was anything else I noted when I did it...

In Forscan see if there are any messages regarding initialization of the HSWM... I had one that said "initialization failure" but rescanned and it never came back. I don't recall if it showed up in the module screen or in diagnostics, though... Nothing else noted for getting the module to show up.

Thanks for the quick reply - I’ll hit it again tomorrow with a few more tries and look for that initialization cue. Yes @Lunch Box , not built with a heated wheel. Stupid ordering mistake. Several trips to Wyoming this winter convinced me to jump on this. 🤣

Hi all, bought the wheel and adapter for my 22 tremor with heated wheel. Question for you all as I wait for parts to arrive.... if I don't want the red stripe can I make the swap while keeping my current leather wheel? And essentially add just the paddles? Not sure I want an aggressive racing style wheel or not. Thanks!

When you say adaptor, do you mean wirng harness? Never thought about eliminating the red stripe, I like it, you don't. Hmmmm, there is alot of wiring inside of the Raptor wheel. I think it would be easier to dye the red stripe, but also the Raptor wheel has a totally different feel and grip than your standard wheel, another reason I switched wheels. I rarely use the paddles.

When you say adaptor, do you mean wirng harness? Never thought about eliminating the red stripe, I like it, you don't. Hmmmm, there is alot of wiring inside of the Raptor wheel. I think it would be easier to dye the red stripe, but also the Raptor wheel has a totally different feel and grip than your standard wheel, another reason I switched wheels. I rarely use the paddles.
Sorry, you are correct. Wheel and harness** have been purchased. I may keep the red stripe if it's a ton of work or not even possible to change. Was just curious if it has been done or thought of by anyone else. Mostly want the paddles for towing

I just looked closer, the paddles ARE NOT interchangeable. You can see why from the picture.
20230428_135025.jpg

The lower (back half) of the steering wheel should transplant over with some work.
Thats kind of what i was thinking. Keep the base of the raptor wheel and transplant over the black leather part and buttons from this weel.

The lower (back half) of the steering wheel should transplant over with some work.
Comparing to the wheel I took of my Lariat a transplant is not practical with the way the wheel is constructed. The rubber/plastic is molded onto the aluminum structure without any provisions to mount the paddles. The rubber would need to be cut to make a spot to mount the paddles. Then the bigger question arises is the aluminum structure the same between the 2 wheels or if not is there enough clearance to add the paddles. With enough determination it could possibly be done. looking back at a picture I took before the install would say the aluminum structure looks very similar if not the same. Trying could cost you resale of the old wheel. I’m with @Lunch Box the Raptor wheel feels so much better than my Lariat wheel (much nicer leather) and was part of reasoning for making the swap.
1D7092E0-529C-4A45-B6FF-AFFC7899DC3C.jpeg

526A9225-D937-43D8-8D3F-41BB751D2C5C.jpeg

8B47F391-8A68-4695-847E-8AE46AF727B1.jpeg

Comparing to the wheel I took of my Lariat a transplant is not practical with the way the wheel is constructed. The rubber/plastic is molded onto the aluminum structure without any provisions to mount the paddles. The rubber would need to be cut to make a spot to mount the paddles. Then the bigger question arises is the aluminum structure the same between the 2 wheels or if not is there enough clearance to add the paddles. With enough determination it could possibly be done. looking back at a picture I took before the install would say the aluminum structure looks very similar if not the same. Trying could cost you resale of the old wheel. I’m with @Lunch Box the Raptor wheel feels so much better than my Lariat wheel (much nicer leather) and was part of reasoning for making the swap.View attachment 119146
View attachment 119147
View attachment 119149
Appreciate the help/opinion! I get the wheel tomorrow so there's a good chance when I see it I just decide to keep it if the leather is nicer, feel is better, etc. I'm a bit of a stickler for matching but it looks like the threading and everything will still blend pretty well with our OEM leather and stitching. In theory it seems like it should be super easy to just swap out the wheel part where it attaches to the metal but after seeing your pictures I can see how that theory is not so accurate haha.

Anyone done this mod that has a nice non-heated leather steering wheel that they want rid of? My friend's dad might want one.

Has anyone seen a new trim piece that says super duty or tremor in lieu of raptor?

Did this tonight on my 22 AMB Lariat Ultimate, took all of about 45 mins or 1 beer. Watched a youtube before, so that made is seem familiar. I did need a breaker bar in order to get the bolt loosened up.

1000002780.jpg

1000003322.jpg

So, $600 or so to do this? Not bad. I'd be worried about the air bag blowing up while I do this haha
I test air bags and seat belts for a living, unplug the battery and press the brake pedal to get and leftover voltage out of the system. Honestly it takes a lot to set off a bag when its not wired. the need about 2.8 amp to set off and to get that much to statically bridge over the module its really hard

Back