Rail Car Tracking

I think that’s a challenge for anyone who can locate their transporter, take pics and post them here!

Found it with some help from a couple friends

384DFD6C-ECD5-4B73-8E7D-A1C94B6B7A95.webp
 
I was at the ranch getting my daughters horse re shoed and checked the tracker when I was done and I’m pretty sure the train passed by about a 1/2 mile away while I was there. Heading 70 miles south to get put on a truck and brought back.
 
I was at the ranch getting my daughters horse re shoed and checked the tracker when I was done and I’m pretty sure the train passed by about a 1/2 mile away while I was there. Heading 70 miles south to get put on a truck and brought back.
Now that’s funny! Hope it gets there soon for you.
 
My truck was loaded onto a rail car last week I reached out to my dealer and got the rail car number so I could use use the CSX phone tracking. I called in and went through the voice prompt process to check status. It worked great that being said I hate using voice response systems. I build stuff like this for a living so decided to call a few times to figure how I could create a speed dial on my I phone so all I have to do is push one button and wait without having to speak a single word. Thought others may appreciate this so thought I would share.

For my rail car TTGX 991571 the speed dial looks like this.

(800) 235-2352,1,,81814192,,,991571,,,##

Had to listen to the prompts a few times and do some trial and error with the pauses but I have confirmed this works.

To create your own speed dial replace the 819114192 with your info. To get this info you will need to press the number that contains the letter in your rail car info. T would be 81 as the T is the first letter on the 8 key. 991571 is the number portion of the rail car info.



Do not change the commas or #’s just replace the rail car info.
its getting to a point where i'm tired of checking my email to see nothing much less figuring out what rail car my truck loaded on...:rolleyes:
 
Does CSX move on the weekends? I’ve been in Louisville since yesterday at 12am. It also could be weather event, obviously.
 
Louisville always seems to take longer to get through... I imagine there is some car switching going on here (I'll let someone else insert a joke of their liking)
 
Does CSX move on the weekends? I’ve been in Louisville since yesterday at 12am. It also could be weather event, obviously.
Yes they move everyday. But I did notice several stops when tracking my rig as well. I think it’s when they move the car from one train to another.
 
Does CSX move on the weekends? I’ve been in Louisville since yesterday at 12am. It also could be weather event, obviously.

I was told by a UP engineer that retired in the past 6 months or so that trains can sit on a siding for a day or more waiting for a crew, plus it can take a day or so to build a train so it can drop off cars and pick up cars when it hits a switch yard & that engineers for UP (and other railroads) are picking and choosing what trains they want & when they hit their max time, they stop and get picked up by a driver, taken to a hotel & then wait to get a train headed the other way. He said he as sat in a UP hotel (they have a pennys dinner attached) for 2 days waiting for a train going the other way (home) but normally it’s about 8-9 hours as they have to meet federal times just like truckers do

He was also saying it’s a real mess right now & at the same time the rail roads are increasing the transportation costs
 
Last edited:
My truck was loaded onto a rail car last week I reached out to my dealer and got the rail car number so I could use use the CSX phone tracking. I called in and went through the voice prompt process to check status. It worked great that being said I hate using voice response systems. I build stuff like this for a living so decided to call a few times to figure how I could create a speed dial on my I phone so all I have to do is push one button and wait without having to speak a single word. Thought others may appreciate this so thought I would share.

For my rail car TTGX 991571 the speed dial looks like this.

(800) 235-2352,1,,81814192,,,991571,,,##

Had to listen to the prompts a few times and do some trial and error with the pauses but I have confirmed this works.

To create your own speed dial replace the 819114192 with your info. To get this info you will need to press the number that contains the letter in your rail car info. T would be 81 as the T is the first letter on the 8 key. 991571 is the number portion of the rail car info.



Do not change the commas or #’s just replace the rail car info.
This tip is gold.

I wish I would have known how to do this when I tracked my Bronco. I called a lot. It's like playing toy trains for big kids. Here are the stops I was able to map. You can tell when I slept..

1639343981024.webp


Here's some things I learned. This should answer some questions I saw here.

  • Yes, if it starts on CSX they track it all the way to the destination AND to the cars release after being unloaded. Not only can you learn when your truck gets to the yard but you'll also know it unloaded.
  • CSK tracks and reports waypoints. Put another way, it tracks the train while its moving ALMOST live since any town or mine or grain silo or siding that is active or not pretty much has a waypoint that reports.
  • Expect long stops in marshalling yards as trains get split up and rebuilt.
  • If a train stops it reports as stopped (Arrived at). A "departed" report does not mean it stopped. It means it passed that point.
  • Photos for nearly every railcar are on the Internet. This is just stupid fun if nothing else.

Side note, this is a great way to learn about geography and history. Trains move slow up hill and fast on downhill straightaways. Google the waypoints that are not mapped. There are reasons they are there even if nothing is there now.

These trains move at night in Southern California. I had worked it out where I could get a video of it going by about 10 miles from my house but the wife said no to my planned night excursion to sit by a track and maybe watch a train.
 
Thanx! My truck is in Chicago, IL as of 01/02/21

Your railcar moved every day. Mine has been stopped in Chicago for 2 1/2 days... What might that mean?

01/02/22 - TTGX 980762 - "Arrived At" - Chicago, IL - 12:57pm -"No ETA Available"
 
Last edited:
Yes they move everyday. But I did notice several stops when tracking my rig as well. I think it’s when they move the car from one train to another.
Well, they need to focus on my rail car. Period. End of Discussion. 2 1/2 days on a mini vacation is good enough. Move along little donkey, move along...
 
Hmm, my railcar number is CNA712799. CNA is Canadian National Railway….
 
This thread has not seen some action since 1/11 so going to change that. I've been tracking my truck and right now it indicated it was in Pine Bluff Arkansas. From looking at the code final destination is going to be Dallas, TX (Mesquite) RK34 TX033 UP 9211 Forney Road Dallas, TX 75227. Cannot wait, this tracking the truck is hell and at the same time fun. Thanks for the everyone who originally put this together.
 
Is "Ramp 8P, Shelbyville Mc, Ky" a rail yard?
My truck is supposed to be there, what I don't know if that is where they stage them waiting for a train car or a chip.

It arrived there Feb 15th and is scheduled to arrive at Granger between March 11-17.

Anyone have any experience with this ramp?
 
Is "Ramp 8P, Shelbyville Mc, Ky" a rail yard?
My truck is supposed to be there, what I don't know if that is where they stage them waiting for a train car or a chip.

It arrived there Feb 15th and is scheduled to arrive at Granger between March 11-17.

Anyone have any experience with this ramp?

Well I'm still trying to figure out why my truck is still sitting at the rail yard in Ky.

Is it normal for trucks to sit for more than a couple of weeks before shipping?

My dealer (Granger) gave me a rail car number of BNSF301492. When I track it, it just says that it's released form Hagie Ontario.
 
Back
Top Bottom