PPE Transmission Pan Options for the 6.7

Just got done with the PPE 10R140 Deep Transmission Pan install. Can confirm the cooling fins hang lower then the cross member, you could get them machined flat however.
Seems they matched the level of the 6.7 Oil Pan.

View attachment 225510
Great discovery—I asked myself this question over the weekend while contemplating some ideas:

Why does the rear portion of the skid plates I’ve seen hang lower and not sit flush to the cross member as I think it should; to accommodate a deeper pan?
 
The package comes with 6 clips. There are 6 solenoids in the 10R140, but the 6th one requires dropping and splitting the VB. My OCD made me do exactly that. Very easy, and there are no balls to fall out of the VB when splitting it, at least on a 2024. I just did our 24 Expedition with the 10R80, and on that one, you can do all 6 without removing the VB.

EDIT: There are 5 bolts holding the metal strip covering the solenoid clips. 2 are standard 8mm and the other 3 are 10ep torx. (ep is external torx plus). Don't want to be stuck in the middle of this without that socket. I got a set on Amazon. Torque on reassembly is, stage one 62 in/lbs and stage two 97 in/lbs.

The filter has a long and short bolt. Don't use a zip gun and run the long bolt in the short hole. I've read about that one so use caution.
So i ordered the sonnax retainers and was trying to figure out the sixth one. Read your post...now i'm sphere's deep in this b/c i'm OCD just like you b/c i'm already "this far" so... ordered another filter (i'm not putting an old one on), more fluid to make up for the loss removing it, the bolt (more like 4 since they dont just sell one) they tell you to throw away after removing it... Good news is i dont have to do this today.
Bad news is that it does require removing the VB to get the numero six. Well at least i'm not having to drill on the separator plate like i had to on my Ally 1k installing the Trans Go jr. 🤷‍♂️
1773271040847.webp
 
So i ordered the sonnax retainers and was trying to figure out the sixth one. Read your post...now i'm sphere's deep in this b/c i'm OCD just like you b/c i'm already "this far" so... ordered another filter (i'm not putting an old one on), more fluid to make up for the loss removing it, the bolt (more like 4 since they dont just sell one) they tell you to throw away after removing it... Good news is i dont have to do this today.
Bad news is that it does require removing the VB to get the numero six. Well at least i'm not having to drill on the separator plate like i had to on my Ally 1k installing the Trans Go jr. 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 249429
If you look at the other half of the VB, there are 2 solenoids out on the ends. One of them will take the new clip, and the other I left, and if I remember correctly, it had a different clip and was smaller. One other thing is to make sure that the small gasket that goes between the VB and the bottom of the transmission is seated correctly. It's a bear getting it oriented correctly. Grease wouldn't hold it up while placing the VB up in the transmission. In fact, the first time the transmission wouldn't prime after start, so I had to drain and drop the pan again. I found you can use a long, thin standard screwdriver to move it in place after you get the VB started with a few bolts to hold it up there.
 
Last edited:
If you look at the other half of the VB, there are 2 solenoids out on the ends. One of them will take the new clip, and the other I left, and if I remember correctly, it had a different clip and was smaller. One other thing is to make sure that the small gasket that goes between the VB and the bottom of the transmission is seated correctly. It's a bear getting it oriented correctly. Grease wouldn't hold it up while placing the VB up in the transmission. In fact, the first time the transmission wouldn't prime after start, so I had to drain and drop the pan again. I found you can use a long, thin standard screwdriver to move it in place after you get the VB started with a few bolts to hold it up there.
I'll keep an eye out for that gasket. Havent seen that mentioned in my Helm manual. I'll have to youtube some more on this before i start wrenching around. Thanks for advising.

How will i know if mine doesnt prime?
 
If you look at the other half of the VB, there are 2 solenoids out on the ends. One of them will take the new clip, and the other I left, and if I remember correctly, it had a different clip and was smaller. One other thing is to make sure that the small gasket that goes between the VB and the bottom of the transmission is seated correctly. It's a bear getting it oriented correctly. Grease wouldn't hold it up while placing the VB up in the transmission. In fact, the first time the transmission wouldn't prime after start, so I had to drain and drop the pan again. I found you can use a long, thin standard screwdriver to move it in place after you get the VB started with a few bolts to hold it up there.
What does VB stand for?

And how was the install? I want to do a PPE pan on my 7.3 to help it deal with the Whipple better.
 
I'll keep an eye out for that gasket. Havent seen that mentioned in my Helm manual. I'll have to youtube some more on this before i start wrenching around. Thanks for advising.

How will i know if mine doesnt prime?
When you start it and shift through the gears, there is no power going to the driveshaft. IOW, the truck won't move. The pump pulls fluid through the filter and up through that hole to the rest of the transmission. With it not seated correctly, no fluid is transferring. I was under it when my wife started it for me the second time, and you can see a big difference. You see the torque move the transmission when going in gear, and there is a loud metallic noise as it goes into drive. It's very noticeable when lying under it, of course, the parking brake is on. It pulls the motor down too when engaging.
 
If you look at the other half of the VB, there are 2 solenoids out on the ends. One of them will take the new clip, and the other I left, and if I remember correctly, it had a different clip and was smaller.
Interesting, in looking at ford parts.com the smaller of the two looks to be the one that matches the other five. The off-size one appears to be the larger one.

Just to clear this up... you didnt have to remove any of the solenoids when replacing the retainers, correct? Even when you had to split the VB?
 
What does VB stand for?

And how was the install? I want to do a PPE pan on my 7.3 to help it deal with the Whipple better.
VB = valve body. I've had the pan on and off several times. I got the PPE pan on without moving the exhaust. Many try to move the exhaust. You have to move the heat exchanger out of the way, and its brackets. Pull the heat exchangers' two lines out of the right side of the transmission, and there was one other bracket in the same area with two bolts. Lying on my back with my head near the motor, I would get the passenger's side of the pan up, and the pan is now at a 45-degree angle. Then the driver's side goes up, but won't go all the way due to the exhaust. Just take the heel of your hand and pop the bottom of the pan, and it goes all the way up.

One place you need to be very careful with is when you are getting the pan up on the driver's side. There is one solenoid hanging low and kind of out by itself. If you're not careful, you could damage the plastic electrical plug that is really close to the pan as it goes up. It's really exposed.
 
VB = valve body. I've had the pan on and off several times. I got the PPE pan on without moving the exhaust. Many try to move the exhaust. You have to move the heat exchanger out of the way, and its brackets. Pull the heat exchangers' two lines out of the right side of the transmission, and there was one other bracket in the same area with two bolts. Lying on my back with my head near the motor, I would get the passenger's side of the pan up, and the pan is now at a 45-degree angle. Then the driver's side goes up, but won't go all the way due to the exhaust. Just take the heel of your hand and pop the bottom of the pan, and it goes all the way up.

One place you need to be very careful with is when you are getting the pan up on the driver's side. There is one solenoid hanging low and kind of out by itself. If you're not careful, you could damage the plastic electrical plug that is really close to the pan as it goes up. It's really exposed.
Sounds like I would be fine. I am pretty handy, but I kinda draw the line at automatic transmissions. Looks like the fluid is gonna be pricey too! I should to a tranny fluid change on my wife's explorer ST as well...
 
Interesting, in looking at ford parts.com the smaller of the two looks to be the one that matches the other five. The off-size one appears to be the larger one.

Just to clear this up... you didnt have to remove any of the solenoids when replacing the retainers, correct? Even when you had to split the VB?
Yes, you can do the 5 without pulling the VB. There is a metal strip that covers the clips. You just remove the strip. The solenoids come out really easily when the clip is removed. Of course, I did one at a time. Use a 90-degree pick to pull the old clips out. Pay close attention to which way the new clips go in, as you could put them in backwards if not paying attention. If you split the VB, you have to unplug each solenoid if I remember correctly. Use a pick to slide a plastic lock back, then the plug's locking tab can be moved so you can unplug it. The transmission temperature probe is on top of the VB, and it needs to be removed if splitting the VB. Rotate 90 degrees and it pulls out. Take pictures before you remove anything.

Oh, the seal I was talking about that is a pain to orient, I bought a new one as there is a rubber ring around it. Cheap and won't leak.
 
Sounds like I would be fine. I am pretty handy, but I kinda draw the line at automatic transmissions. Looks like the fluid is gonna be pricey too! I should to a tranny fluid change on my wife's explorer ST as well...
Rock Auto with a discount code is cheap for Motorcraft ULV. 3 5-quart jugs are 1 case.
 
"VB" Valve body. Sure.

"VB!" with an exclamation point is a reference to one of the best colors ever, Velocity Blue. The color of my old '21. I would have done it again if thy had not discontinued it.

View attachment 249521
View attachment 249522

Yes, velocity blue is so nice! I wanted it for my 23 and they discontinued it?!?!?! What I would LOVE is grabber blue.
 
Yes, you can do the 5 without pulling the VB. There is a metal strip that covers the clips. You just remove the strip. The solenoids come out really easily when the clip is removed. Of course, I did one at a time. Use a 90-degree pick to pull the old clips out. Pay close attention to which way the new clips go in, as you could put them in backwards if not paying attention. If you split the VB, you have to unplug each solenoid if I remember correctly. Use a pick to slide a plastic lock back, then the plug's locking tab can be moved so you can unplug it. The transmission temperature probe is on top of the VB, and it needs to be removed if splitting the VB. Rotate 90 degrees and it pulls out. Take pictures before you remove anything.

Oh, the seal I was talking about that is a pain to orient, I bought a new one as there is a rubber ring around it. Cheap and won't leak.
I really appreciate the information. Taking pictures is ABSOLUTELY going to happen since i'm removing more than just the filter.
 
You fellers posting in here about the 7.3 Godzilla 10R140 PPE aluminum trans pan are posting some very helpful info.

Thank you. My pan swap is happnn soon. I have both a pan and a vb to install.
 
Yes, you can do the 5 without pulling the VB. There is a metal strip that covers the clips. You just remove the strip. The solenoids come out really easily when the clip is removed. Of course, I did one at a time. Use a 90-degree pick to pull the old clips out. Pay close attention to which way the new clips go in, as you could put them in backwards if not paying attention. If you split the VB, you have to unplug each solenoid if I remember correctly. Use a pick to slide a plastic lock back, then the plug's locking tab can be moved so you can unplug it. The transmission temperature probe is on top of the VB, and it needs to be removed if splitting the VB. Rotate 90 degrees and it pulls out. Take pictures before you remove anything.

Oh, the seal I was talking about that is a pain to orient, I bought a new one as there is a rubber ring around it. Cheap and won't leak.
speaking of the cooler...

why is it my truck (and others) have a foam/plastic shroud around the trans cooler but other trucks I've seen do not. Whiteface Ford put out a video talking about coolers getting ripped of. In the video, the foam cover/shroud doesnt exist.

Anyone know why?

EDIT p/n for this 'shield' as its called is LC3Z7A434C
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom