PPE Transmission Pan Options for the 6.7

Here is what that top VB seal looks like.
Finally found where i'd seen this... (for those looking to do this)


Once you remove the VB
1773421613611.webp


there are two seals that are advised to inspect and clean.
the small one i believe is p/n LC3Z7N265B (fitment says 2020-2026 F250/350/etc)
1773421669061.webp


the instructions go on to say to coat them with petroleum jelly to hold them in place.
Grease doesnt work.
One other thing is to make sure that the small gasket that goes between the VB and the bottom of the transmission is seated correctly. It's a bear getting it oriented correctly. Grease wouldn't hold it up while placing the VB up in the transmission. .....

I found you can use a long, thin standard screwdriver to move it in place after you get the VB started with a few bolts to hold it up there.
Maybe PJ will?
 
I ha
Finally found where i'd seen this... (for those looking to do this)


Once you remove the VB
View attachment 249597

there are two seals that are advised to inspect and clean.
the small one i believe is p/n LC3Z7N265B (fitment says 2020-2026 F250/350/etc)
View attachment 249598

the instructions go on to say to coat them with petroleum jelly to hold them in place.
Grease doesnt work.

Maybe PJ will?
I have a tub of transmission assembly lube, and it wouldn't hold it. The problem is trying to get the VB in the exact place it needs to be, you end up bumping that seal, and it falls down. I tacked the VB up with a few bolts, barely started, so I'd have some room to manipulate that seal in place with a screwdriver. The only reason I brought it up is that if it isn't exact, the transmission won't run. So spend extra time getting that right. PITA to drain and pull the VB again.
 
I ha

I have a tub of transmission assembly lube, and it wouldn't hold it. The problem is trying to get the VB in the exact place it needs to be, you end up bumping that seal, and it falls down. I tacked the VB up with a few bolts, barely started, so I'd have some room to manipulate that seal in place with a screwdriver. The only reason I brought it up is that if it isn't exact, the transmission won't run. So spend extra time getting that right. PITA to drain and pull the VB again.
Just flip it all over and install the VB when the transmission is upside down like they do when they manufacture it.

Sorry, this is what came to mind. I always think the manufacturing and maintenance processes are not fully thought through together.
 
Just flip it all over and install the VB when the transmission is upside down like they do when they manufacture it.

Sorry, this is what came to mind. I always think the manufacturing and maintenance processes are not fully thought through together.
I thought the sme thing while trying to figure out the best way to install that seal. They do it upside down.
 
Here is what that top VB seal looks like.
Sorry to keep bugging you on this but i spent about 6 hours on this yesterday, most of it trying to get the PPE pan installed with absolutely no luck.

I dropped the VB and got the clips installed.
The seal you mentioned stayed in place. The honeycomb one ended up falling after a minute. Scared the crap out of me b/c i wasnt expecting it.

Anyway... to my point of bugging you again...

My seal didnt look like it ever moved. So i installed my VB and was smooth and steady raising it into place. How do i know its aligned just right and not shifted?
I never touched it since it was holding itself up but i have no clue if it ever moved. It didnt look like it but i didnt take a picture of it beforehand 🤦‍♂️

Any advise is appreciated. I havent filled with tranny fluid yet so i'm at a good spot to drop her if needed.
 
Sorry to keep bugging you on this but i spent about 6 hours on this yesterday, most of it trying to get the PPE pan installed with absolutely no luck.

I dropped the VB and got the clips installed.
The seal you mentioned stayed in place. The honeycomb one ended up falling after a minute. Scared the crap out of me b/c i wasnt expecting it.

Anyway... to my point of bugging you again...

My seal didnt look like it ever moved. So i installed my VB and was smooth and steady raising it into place. How do i know its aligned just right and not shifted?
I never touched it since it was holding itself up but i have no clue if it ever moved. It didnt look like it but i didnt take a picture of it beforehand 🤦‍♂️

Any advise is appreciated. I havent filled with tranny fluid yet so i'm at a good spot to drop her if needed.
I would say you're good if you did move the VB around a lot. I only had 3k on my truck, so that seal didn't have many heat cycles, unlike yours, which probably helped yours to stick. It has a rubber-like plug that sticks out on the top of it so it can only be installed one way. I would think that would prevent it from sliding left or right as you installed your VB. If you end up having to drain the pan again, as I did, use a very clean 5-gallon pail to capture your new fluid to reuse. Easy to do with the PPE pan.
 
I would say you're good if you did move the VB around a lot. I only had 3k on my truck, so that seal didn't have many heat cycles, unlike yours, which probably helped yours to stick. It has a rubber-like plug that sticks out on the top of it so it can only be installed one way. I would think that would prevent it from sliding left or right as you installed your VB. If you end up having to drain the pan again, as I did, use a very clean 5-gallon pail to capture your new fluid to reuse. Easy to do with the PPE pan.
@Apples you'll want some of the information in this thread. (if you havent already read through it)

Thanks X5!
 
Thank you OB. I had read this thread, but only last week and not since.

When you posted your details Sunday, for some reason I had overlooked this thread as having any answers for you - perhaps due to my preoccupation with the your report regarding exhaust system interference with the PPE pan...

And here I sit thinking I have some kind of eye for detail... I'm a schmuck. 😝
 
I would say you're good if you did move the VB around a lot. I only had 3k on my truck, so that seal didn't have many heat cycles, unlike yours, which probably helped yours to stick. It has a rubber-like plug that sticks out on the top of it so it can only be installed one way. I would think that would prevent it from sliding left or right as you installed your VB. If you end up having to drain the pan again, as I did, use a very clean 5-gallon pail to capture your new fluid to reuse. Easy to do with the PPE pan.
well, it moved. 😞
or whatever is happening my truck will not respond when in gear (R) and it starts to rev up when i put it in Drive
 
@OmahaBravo Did you ever get this sorted out? I would hope so by now haha.

Also, question for either you or @X5Pilot or both.

I bought the Sonnax replacement clips, not the inserts, 105740-19K. I was looking for some clarification on the install more focused on that 6th one. Do you just have to drop the VB to replace the 6th one on the top or do you actually have to split the two halves? Is it recommended to replace or reuse the gaskets. I would assume if you have to truly split the VB in half then a new separator plate would be in order?

Or is it that Ford's 6th one has that external retainer clip and the kit is universal with the GM variant? Or should this kit really have 7 clips for Ford? Sonnax's website shows the GM version and all 6 are in a row.

Also found this useful article for understanding the VB changes on the 23+ models.

Which one is considered the 6th? Red or Green?
1785423812671.webp


1785424203917.webp


1785424274549.webp
 
Last edited:
@OmahaBravo Did you ever get this sorted out? I would hope so by now haha.

Also, question for either you or @X5Pilot or both.

I bought the Sonnax replacement clips, not the inserts, 105740-19K. I was looking for some clarification on the install more focused on that 6th one. Do you just have to drop the VB to replace the 6th one on the top or do you actually have to split the two halves? Is it recommended to replace or reuse the gaskets. I would assume if you have to truly split the VB in half then a new separator plate would be in order?

Or is it that Ford's 6th one has that external retainer clip and the kit is universal with the GM variant? Sonnax's website shows the GM version and all 6 are in a row.

Also found this useful article for understanding the VB changes on the 23+ models.

Which one is considered the 6th? Red or Green?
View attachment 263946
I got everything put back together and so far its working just fine.

You have to drop the VB to install the 6th b/c you have to split the VB to access it. You cant physically split it while its installed b/c the fastening bolts go through both halves. (even if you could, working on a bench is SO much easier).

Based on my photos, the GREEN arrow is pointing to the 6th solenoid.

I only replaced the two plastic seals (the ones i had issue with) b/c they were cheap and I was there (and b/c i damaged one of them on my first re-install lol).
My Helm manual states reuse of the seperator plate is fine so long as it is undamaged.

If you split the VB, lube every bolt before you go to reinstall them. Ive replaced an entire engine in a car, performed weight loss on a diesel, and have dropped a VB to install a shift kit, along with other auto work... all by myself. All vehicles were mechanically sound the 6-8 years after performing said work before selling them. Wrenching is not new to me and neither is wrenching on components that need to have the utmost contamination protocol performed.

This VB was something else. 2-3 of the bolts I had issues with and ended up having to chase the threads. I must have messed up some where but I hand threaded every single VB bolt until i couldnt grip it (i didnt just 'start' it and switch to using a tool). I dunno what i did wrong. the only thing that makes sense to me is lack of lube b/c i wiped all of them down clean before reinstalling. I wiggled them when getting the threads started, everything one does to ensure the bolt is not crossthreaded.

Dont let this scare ya. Just take your time, get a box of rags so you can use a brand new one every time and get a big friekin aluminum pan to set your VB in while you work on it. Theres everybit of 1-2 qts of fluid in it. 🤙
 
Correct, you have to split the VB to get the 6th solenoid. The other one has a much smaller clip, and the normal-size clips won't fit. There are no balls to worry about when splitting the 2 halves. For the bolts, I used a piece of cardboard, and with a Sharpie I traced the outline of the vb, and when I pulled a bolt out, I made holes with a Phillips screwdriver and placed that bolt in the position it was in on the vb. There are several toques, too, for the different bolts. Also, a big warning is that the filter has two bolts, and one is much longer than the other. I've read stories where the long one was put in the wrong hole and ruined the threads. The separator plate can be used over and over without issues. When inserting the solenoid clips, pay attention to the correct way they are to be inserted. They can go in backwards. I'll look up the torques and edit the post.

2 filter bolts 97 in/lbs
10 VB to trans bolts 2 stages, 62 in/lbs, then 97 in/lbs
Bolts that hold the 2 VB halves 62 in/lbs and then 97 in/lbs
Pan bolts 97 in/lbs, and the bolts that have the studs 106 in/lbs
Get the fluid to 206-215 to check the level.
 
Last edited:
@OmahaBravo & @X5Pilot Thank you both for the added detail and good to know about the reusable separator plate and upper gaskets.

I also had emailed Sonnax to get their opinion on the matter before this post. But havent heard back yet 🤪

Doesn't seem to be overly expensive, but it does seem to be a special order item.

1785428767268.webp


General background here. I am very mechanically inclined, been working on cars/trucks since I was 15 (pulling motors, rebuilding heads, etc), I'm a mechanical engineer that has worked the robotics space for the past 15 years or so. Needless to say I'm good with ensuring bolts etc go back in the right spot. 🤣

I like to do heavy research into things before I do them for the first time (like a lot of us here). Especially when its regarding something like this, where a mistake could be very expensive!
 
@OmahaBravo & @X5Pilot Thank you both for the added detail and good to know about the reusable separator plate and upper gaskets.

I also had emailed Sonnax to get their opinion on the matter before this post. But havent heard back yet 🤪

Doesn't seem to be overly expensive, but it does seem to be a special order item.

View attachment 263962

General background here. I am very mechanically inclined, been working on cars/trucks since I was 15 (pulling motors, rebuilding heads, etc), I'm a mechanical engineer that has worked the robotics space for the past 15 years or so. Needless to say I'm good with ensuring bolts etc go back in the right spot. 🤣

I like to do heavy research into things before I do them for the first time (like a lot of us here). Especially when its regarding something like this, where a mistake could be very expensive!
I would reach out to Sonnax or other major trans supplier.
See what they suggest.
 
I would reach out to Sonnax or other major trans supplier.
See what they suggest.
I did email Sonnax. Waiting for the response.
 
@OmahaBravo & @X5Pilot Thank you both for the added detail and good to know about the reusable separator plate and upper gaskets.

I also had emailed Sonnax to get their opinion on the matter before this post. But havent heard back yet 🤪

Doesn't seem to be overly expensive, but it does seem to be a special order item.

View attachment 263962

General background here. I am very mechanically inclined, been working on cars/trucks since I was 15 (pulling motors, rebuilding heads, etc), I'm a mechanical engineer that has worked the robotics space for the past 15 years or so. Needless to say I'm good with ensuring bolts etc go back in the right spot. 🤣

I like to do heavy research into things before I do them for the first time (like a lot of us here). Especially when its regarding something like this, where a mistake could be very expensive!
Happy to help. I remember having a bit of a struggle figuring out where the 6th one was as well.

Given your experience/background, youll have more success than I did. Make sure to check out my build thread where i discuss the two seals. I also had issues with them and provide info on what I did to resolve/mitigate.
 
I sent them the same diagrams I posted above. Here is the response, which coincides with your claims:

1785513730695.webp


I sent a follow up question about the VB plate and gaskets. To see what they say.
 
Regarding the gaskets and separator plate

1785517276731.webp


I decided to just order all 3 items. Better safe than sorry. If the gaskets should be replaced whats an extra $33 for the damn separator plate.

They corrected me with the VIN

1785520623153.webp
 
Last edited:
Regarding the gaskets and separator plate

View attachment 264186

I decided to just order all 3 items. Better safe than sorry. If the gaskets should be replaced whats an extra $33 for the damn separator plate.

They corrected me with the VIN

View attachment 264195
If i'd had known it was that cheap, i'd done the same thing (sep plate)
I'll reiterate, go look at my build thread where i discussed the issues i had with that honeycomb-like seal. Learn from my mistake so you dont have to go through that.
 
@OmahaBravo will do. I think I've looked though some of your posts about it already.

Msrp is like $55 or something. I bought from Apple Ford Parts of White Bear Lake. But similar from Tasca parts or some other online Ford retailers.
 
Back
Top Bottom