Pompey’s F350 Being (Re) Manufactured

Usually from the rear seat DC. The AC runs the frig. I used to power the battery with the AC and then the frig off the battery but it seems the new method works better for the battery. I just have to remember to plug the frig into the batt when I stop. Intuitively, at least to my electrically challenged brain, this method stresses the battery less. I have no empirical evidence but the batt does seem to charge faster this way and seems to get a deeper charge, but it's probably all my imagination. I should ask my CalTech EE friend. Anybody who drives an e-car of a number of major makers is benefiting from his patents. Does he drive an e-car? Hell no! 🤣😅😂

Usually from the rear seat DC. The AC runs the frig. I used to power the battery with the AC and then the frig off the battery but it seems the new method works better for the battery. I just have to remember to plug the frig into the batt when I stop. Intuitively, at least to my electrically challenged brain, this method stresses the battery less. I have no empirical evidence but the batt does seem to charge faster this way and seems to get a deeper charge, but it's probably all my imagination. I should ask my CalTech EE friend. Anybody who drives an e-car of a number of major makers is benefiting from his patents. Does he drive an e-car? Hell no! 🤣😅😂
The cable I run is nearly 50mm2 to handle the 50 amps I use to charge batteries in the back. Higher current and longer distance require bigger cable. I use 60 amp midi fuses. One at the cranking battery, the other at the auxiliary batteries. The batteries, be it lithium or AGM, charge better and last longer with a dc to dc charger which ensures that the battery is charged at the appropriate rate.

Progress is slow-fortunately there is no rush. I’ve used 3mm gal steel to mount the main isolator switch, fill and drain hoses for the water tank and the outlet from the air compressor. I haven’t got the air compressor yet, but it will be mounted under the new floor along with the batteries and dc to dc charger.

Electrically, I will use wood to mount the fuse box, Anderson plugs, etc as it’s non conductive.

I’m no carpenter, as this is the first time I’ve attempted anything like this. Fortunately, the marine carpet that will go on last will hide most sins.

The project continues….

1D783417-3F33-44C5-A2FB-21385052B8C4.jpeg
C72E171B-F1FB-46F1-9FF5-7ADF9D2B4BBB.jpeg
55DAB8B4-C4EE-48CB-8212-6B60E426278D.jpeg
17045968-429A-4D96-9388-874099E08C0A.jpeg

"The batteries, be it lithium or AGM, charge better and last longer with a dc to dc charger which ensures that the battery is charged at the appropriate rate."

That's my unscientific observation. The Dometic lithium batt can
be charged either way but it seems to like the DC better. I need
to ask my EE friend why.

Some more bits arrived today. 6mm2 cable being one. I’ve now wired in the fuse box and Anderson plugs. Still waiting on the busbar and some other bits. 240v 350w pure sine wave inverter installed too.

I bought the inverter on eBay. The seller said it had never been used and it looked that way. But I was surprised at the installation instructions. It said to use a 50 amp fuse, but the cable was never going to handle 50 amps, and it had a cigarette lighter fitting on it. When I disassembled the fitting I saw it had an inline 8 amp fuse. What’s the point of having a 50 amp fuse with an 8 amp 8n line fuse and tiny wiring?

So I rang Redarc and asked that very question. i was told wiring isn’t included, so obviously the other bloke did the wiring. I replaced his wiring with 16mm2 cable and used his wiring for the remote switch. This allows me to mount the inverter out of sight and turn it on from the control panel.

Really pleased with how the electrical aspect of the fit out is going. and the carpentry side has gone better than expected.

Unfortunately, I can’t upload any photos at the moment

Last edited:
Saturday week I head out on my first real trip in the Tremor.

First stop will be the Gold Coast for a few days. I will be towing my WRX there and will leave it there for Easter.

From the Goldie I head north to the Sunshine Coast hinterland for some camping, and also a day on the sunny coast to finalise the specification and options on the new caravan with the manufacturer, before returning to the campsite. I’ll be sleeping in the back of the truck.

After easter its back to the Goldie for a night or 2, before heading south with the WRX in tow and over the border. First night will be on the NSW north coast and the next night on the central coast. Here I finally get the WRX tuned after the engine build. Then I head to Sydney.

in Sydney I’ll be competing in the WRX in 2 wet skidpan motorkhanas, one week apart. I’ll have a few other things to do during the week. It’ll be the first time driving the Tremor in a big city, so that will be a new experience. Might head down to the harbour and take some photos with it.

Then I’ll head home. I won’t return via the coast, I’ll come inland and will spend 3 days getting home.

Saturday week I head out on my first real trip in the Tremor.

First stop will be the Gold Coast for a few days. I will be towing my WRX there and will leave it there for Easter.

From the Goldie I head north to the Sunshine Coast hinterland for some camping, and also a day on the sunny coast to finalise the specification and options on the new caravan with the manufacturer, before returning to the campsite. I’ll be sleeping in the back of the truck.

After easter its back to the Goldie for a night or 2, before heading south with the WRX in tow and over the border. First night will be on the NSW north coast and the next night on the central coast. Here I finally get the WRX tuned after the engine build. Then I head to Sydney.

in Sydney I’ll be competing in the WRX in 2 wet skidpan motorkhanas, one week apart. I’ll have a few other things to do during the week. It’ll be the first time driving the Tremor in a big city, so that will be a new experience. Might head down to the harbour and take some photos with it.

Then I’ll head home. I won’t return via the coast, I’ll come inland and will spend 3 days getting home.
Safe travels and keep us updated with stories and pictures please. 👊🏼🍻

When I hitched up my car trailer, I found that the truck didn’t cope at all well with the LED lights on the trailer. I’d constantly get a warning of “trailer disconnected” and warnings of lights not working. Fortunately, Ford are aware of the problem and sell an adapter that has resistors on each wire. Problem solved.

C5D3C718-5B7B-4ECD-BECB-AD97902D0B72.jpeg

I installed the ARB twin compressor I bought in Sydney, only for it not to work! only the fan comes on, not the compressor itself. I suspect a faulty relay or pressure switch. I powered up each side and it ran.

I rang ARB head office in Melbourne, explaining I mislaid the receipt. They said they’ll contact the NSW state office and see what they can do. Anyway, this is how I plan to install it. The photo is a bit misleading, it actually sits flat on the floor.
2D6CBCE1-A6D6-4B6A-A7F3-EDF52E87B2AD.jpeg

I’ve now ordered an Air Safe hitch. It won’t arrive till the end of February. In keeping with the American/Australian content of truck, this is also made in the US. The caravan and it’s coupling, are made in Australia. It’s in keeping with my view that the US makes the best tow vehicles and Australia makes the best off-road caravans. Very little of what I am getting is made in China, at least as far as whole components go.

The bullbar, UHF CB, long range fuel tank, ARB air pump and pure sine wave inverter are or will be Australian made. The canopy is made in the US. View attachment 43688View attachment 43689
Did you end up installing the Air Safe? I just got a class VI and the drop doesn’t seem to be low enough for my trailer using my equalizer WD system. Im not sure what to do to get everything level and it seems like AirSafe may not be an option for my setup.

I was also thinking about drilling another hole in the AirSafe so that the mounting pole goes further into the hitch and it’s flush with the bumper. It’s sticking out about 5 inches from the bumper now. I’m struggling at the moment because it doesn’t seem to work well for my setup (6.7 Tremor and 30 foot airstream). Just wondering if I’m the only one with issues. Thanks.

Attachments

• 0C379B00-E825-47CA-A975-FD04502006E3.jpeg
    0C379B00-E825-47CA-A975-FD04502006E3.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 45
I have the air safe-it only arrived a few days ago. I haven’t tried hooking up a trailer yet though. I think it should be ok, won’t know till I try to hook up, which might be a while yet

I have finished carpeting the back of the truck, although it wasn’t possible to colour match the carpet on the drawer. I keep the charger on the auxiliary batteries when not in use. It’s easy to hook up through the access hatch. I also added a photo of the air compressor and dc-dc charger.
7C350067-2450-471E-85CA-023368367DA5.jpeg
4C100E69-68A6-4BCF-B345-6114812CAB10.jpeg
7B866779-9E0B-4802-BE4A-0BB83B5C899D.jpeg
3B767909-35B9-4C9C-A356-CB92A3055B9F.jpeg

Man that's a nice setup. You did it right. 🍻
Cheers.

i am a bit chuffed with the results. First time I’ve built something with wood (and no tuition either) and first fit out I’ve done as well. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.

"First time I’ve built something with wood (and no tuition either) and first fit out I’ve done as well"

Like the wood was the hard part? Get a grip, mate!
Just looking at all those wires gives me a headache!
Yeah, hanging the Christmas lights is a challenge for me.

Back