Backslider's Atlas Blue Gahzirra Build.

B

Backslider

September 16, 2021

Took Delivery

Installed Husky all-weather floor mats

20210916_190500.jpg

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of modification to this truck. While it's billed as an off-roader, it's really not - it's more of a rugged tow beast or a powerful station wagon for a family of 4. This wouldn't fit on the types of long back-country trails we do, and I never planned for it to. While I may hit the occasional trail with it (because I tend to constantly ask the question "what's down that little dirt road?") I don't plan to try to turn this truck into something it's not. I'll be looking at campers to pair with this beast until I find the right one - hopefully this winter or early spring 2022.

September 17, 2021

Installed Fuel Covert 696 18x9 -12. Really happy with how these look.

Installed Nitto RidgerGrappler 35x12.5x18 128 load range

20210917_163959_Processed.jpg

This has made me think reverse leveling the truck might be the way to go. Looks great with 35's in this configuration with a little of the rake mellowed out.. Things that make me go hmmmm.. 🤔🤔🤔

September 26, 2021

Installed Fox ATS steering stabilizer. Took about 15 minutes with help from my 11-year-old. He's been helping me since he was about 5, so nowadays I just talk him through the installation and help him remove and properly torque hardware that he's struggling with. Immediately took the truck out and decided for my preference the best all-around setting is about 9-clicks. Tested on some good washboard - the Tremor isn't as nice as my 4runner on these types of roads (I feel comfortable going ~65 in the 4runner on some pretty bad roads, felt like the Tremor got a little difficult to control around ~45) but to be fair the 4runner has more upgrades than Robocop. This stabilizer DEFINITELY is worth every penny, and makes a huge improvement in the steering feel of this truck. Highly recommended.

20210926_140149.jpg

Swapped out factory running boards with some Rough Country aftermarket ones. Not a big fan of RC, but I will say that these have 3 additional attachment points than the stock running boards and in my opinion are far better looking. Got these to tide me over until I can have some actual, legitimate rock sliders designed and fabbed.

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

October 9, 2021

860 miles

Installed ICON 2.5 with remote reservoirs and valving adjusters on all 4 corners. After some testing I found that a setting of 5 in the front and 6 in the rear is extremely comfortable for street driving. I haven't taken the truck off the pavement since installing, but I'm thinking softening the shocks for slow rides and stiffening them for fast riding is going to be ideal.

HUGE improvement over the stock shocks - but in all honestly I was impressed with the ride quality of the stock shocks.

October 16, 2021

Purchased a Weigh Safe hitch. Also bought a travel trailer today - just waiting at the dealer to pick it up.

20211016_143251.jpg

As a side note, I also Installed a Rexing V1P 4k dash cam. It has front and rear cameras and I installed it with the hardwire kit so that it will activate with motion detection or accelerometer when the vehicle is not powered on. Already caught an idiot doing stupid things on the freeway!

Future Plans

Suspension

• PMF Suspension 2" Block (will lower rear 1.25")
Armor
  • On the hunt for some good frame-mounted rock sliders. Not a lot out there, so I may have a buddy fab some for me.
Performance
  • Banks Power PedalMonster
Miscellaneous
  • Ceramic tint
  • Looking for good replacement tail light housings - prefer a clear lens with a black painted body. Red LEDs to provide brake lights. Definitely will make this truck look cleaner.
    • Most likely Recon Smoked, need to confirm fitment

I'll continue to update this page as the truck progresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
And so it begins!

September 16, 2021 - Took Delivery

Installed Husky all-weather floor mats

View attachment 34090

I don't plan on doing a whole lot of modification to this truck. While it's billed as an off-roader, it's really not - it's more of a rugged tow beast or a powerful station wagon for a family of 4. This wouldn't fit on the types of long back-country trails we do, and I never planned for it to. While I may hit the occasional trail with it (because I tend to constantly ask the question "what's down that little dirt road?") I don't plan to try to turn this truck into something it's not. I'll be looking at campers to pair with this beast until I find the right one - hopefully this winter or early spring 2022.

Current Plans

Tires
: Nitto RidgerGrappler 35x12.5x18 128 load range
Wheels: Fuel Covert 696 - 18x9 -12

Possible Future Plans

Suspension:
Carli? BDS? I may lift the front and replace all the shocks with, you know, good ones. I may also lower the rear to level the truck and still replace the shocks with, you know, good ones. Likely Fox 2.5 with DSC adjusters.

Running Boards: I've got to get rid of these running boards. They look like my grandpa designed them before he had his morning coffee. Would prefer some actual sliders with kickouts. Currently searching for the right solution.

I'll continue to update this page as the truck progresses.
How much for the running boards? I'm in Denver but usually make it to green river at least once every fall. Please send me a message if you're interested in selling or trading for running boards from the blackout package.

Last edited:
How much for the running boards? I'm in Denver but usually make it to green river at least once every fall.

I'm not sure - I see them on KSL (local classifieds site) for $500. Seems a few have sold, but not sure if they actually got this price or not. I'm open to offers, and not against a drive to Green River.

Next time you're there eat at The Tamarisk restaurant. Pretty great food for being in the middle of the desert!

Looking great! We are on the hunt for a camper as well. Travel trailer actually... What style do you have in mind? Truck camper, 5er, TT, other?

Looking great! We are on the hunt for a camper as well. Travel trailer actually... What style do you have in mind? Truck camper, 5er, TT, other?
I'd be ok with a 5th wheel but anything in a price range I'm comfortable with seems fairly clapped out. I can get a new TT for about the same price as a decent used 5th wheel. I'd be ok with either if they were the right one though.

Also, thanks for all of your discreet help with my truck man - you truly are a scholar and a gentleman!

Installed Fox ATS steering stabilizer and cheap Rough Country running boards. Updated OP with pics and info.
Truck is looking great. While not true rock sliders that are frame mounted like I had on my JKU Rubi, I have been happy with the strength of these:

They still only mount to the OEM points on the rocker panel, so a good hit will cause damage, but a lot more stout than what was there.

I got lucky and found mine on an Amazon open box buy for about $700. Was worried that I would only get one step but figured what the hell. When they showed, brand new unopened box on the pallet.

Truck is looking great. While not true rock sliders that are frame mounted like I had on my JKU Rubi, I have been happy with the strength of these:

They still only mount to the OEM points on the rocker panel, so a good hit will cause damage, but a lot more stout than what was there.

I got lucky and found mine on an Amazon open box buy for about $700. Was worried that I would only get one step but figured what the hell. When they showed, brand new unopened box on the pallet.

Yeah - thanks for the recommend. I'm familiar with ADD and they make a great product.

I still think I'll have a fab shop make me some frame mounted sliders. I don't plan on running this thing too hard on trails, but it's always nice to have a cab-length jacking point - especially when the weather sucks!

Hi Backslider. I dig what you're doing with your truck given where you are. How do you like those tires so far? I was considering those same tires.

Also, Tooele... I was stationed at Dugway back in '89-'92, and absolutely loved trucking out the front gate, turning right, and going where ever off-roading. Great place for that (at least back then, I guess I don't know if you can just blast around wherever you want out there nowadays). I had a '67 Bronco back then, and had a blast, and have many Tooele stories (like the time I woke up with puke in my hair, and wrote a country song about it).

I hope you get great use out of that truck, in that environment, and for a long time. Looks good. Now, back to the tires... Opinion?

Hi Backslider. I dig what you're doing with your truck given where you are. How do you like those tires so far? I was considering those same tires.

Also, Tooele... I was stationed at Dugway back in '89-'92, and absolutely loved trucking out the front gate, turning right, and going where ever off-roading. Great place for that (at least back then, I guess I don't know if you can just blast around wherever you want out there nowadays). I had a '67 Bronco back then, and had a blast, and have many Tooele stories (like the time I woke up with puke in my hair, and wrote a country song about it).

I hope you get great use out of that truck, in that environment, and for a long time. Looks good. Now, back to the tires... Opinion?

Still a great place for that! Out that way you've got Pony Express which takes you deep into the West Desert, very close to Vernon and 5-Mile Pass and Little Moab - the list goes on. Tons of old mining ghost towns to explore out here, and of course the geode beds.. So yeah, tons of trails to take with several interesting destinations at the end of each of them. I used to install and service access points for wireless broadband, so I spent a decent amount of time inside the Dugway base making sure those fine folks could access the WWW. There is still pretty much zero civilization for many miles around that area. All the chemical storage is gone now. We still get the Wednesday 4pm alarm tests all throughout the county tho.

I'm liking the tires a lot so far. Ride great, feel solidly connected. These are my first Nittos and I'm wondering why I didn't try them earlier - I've been a long-time K02 fan so I've kind of stuck with those in the past, but the load requirement of this truck caused me to venture outside of my comfort zone. Even at factory PSI they feel great on the road. Quiet too. Huge improvement over the stock tires. On top of all that they look great too.

I'm curious if you have a link to that song - sounds like a hit if you ask me.

Ordered some Icon 2.5" with compression adjusters this morning:

Icon 67800CP - 0-2.5" Front Lift, CDCV
Icon 37705CP - 0.3" Rear Lift, CDCV

Should be a quick morning project once they arrive.
Installed the Bilstein 5100's without removing a tire, just turned the fronts for easier access.

Some have either sourced or ground down an open end wrench to fit the top for the fronts, but I just used a pair of channel locks to grab it and remove the top nut. Ditching them anyways, so wasn't too concerned about scratching the finish.

Back