New 2027 Ford Super Duty Details & Updates 📰

Gotta cut non- sellers out to make room for the 8 liter diesel 🤣🙄🤣
 
Agreed the 6.8 didn’t make sense. They didn’t rate the 7.3 high enough to allow much space for the 6.8 to compete against the 6.4 Ram and 6.6 Chevy. I kind of understood the standard output (no water cooled turbo) but mainly a cash grab on those of us who wanted to go big.

Consider back in the day GM had 6L or 8.1L gasser and the 8.1 was significantly more powerful and got the Allison over the 4L80E, that made sense as an upgrade. Ford had the 5.4, 6.8 and the PSD so again very different. Could someone tell on a test drive the difference between a 6.8 and a 7.3? or the two 6.7s? I bet I couldn’t.
 
After going through the order guide it appears that the power pedals are no longer standard on the Lariat. Not only are they not standard you have to get the diesel so you can get the Premium Package they're included in. To get the power pedals with a gas engine you have to get the King Ranch or Platinum. Same thing applies to the Pro Trailer Assist which also gives you the power steering assist which used to be standard on all the Tremors. I was thinking about maybe going with a long bed Lariat Tremor but I think that's off the table now as I really don't a diesel.
 
Agreed the 6.8 didn’t make sense. They didn’t rate the 7.3 high enough to allow much space for the 6.8 to compete against the 6.4 Ram and 6.6 Chevy. I kind of understood the standard output (no water cooled turbo) but mainly a cash grab on those of us who wanted to go big.

Consider back in the day GM had 6L or 8.1L gasser and the 8.1 was significantly more powerful and got the Allison over the 4L80E, that made sense as an upgrade. Ford had the 5.4, 6.8 and the PSD so again very different. Could someone tell on a test drive the difference between a 6.8 and a 7.3? or the two 6.7s? I bet I couldn’t.
I’ve had a 22 platinum tremor 6.7 S.O. now a 25 platinum tremor 6.7 HO and honestly I don’t think I can really tell a difference maybe slightly off the line I do know it eats more def lol
 
After going through the order guide it appears that the power pedals are no longer standard on the Lariat. Not only are they not standard you have to get the diesel so you can get the Premium Package they're included in. To get the power pedals with a gas engine you have to get the King Ranch or Platinum. Same thing applies to the Pro Trailer Assist which also gives you the power steering assist which used to be standard on all the Tremors. I was thinking about maybe going with a long bed Lariat Tremor but I think that's off the table now as I really don't a diesel.
Dang, I was mad I didn't get adjstable headrests with my 23 Lariat!
 
I got to drive a 6.6 L8T the other day and while it only falls shy of the 7.3 by 30 HP and 21 LB FT of TQ at peak, I am suspecting the difference is much wider at lower rpm. The 6.6 needed a lot more pedal input and rpm to kick out the thrust I’m used to feeling out of my 7.3. They feel similar at 3,500 rpm, but not at 1,800 RPM.

I am still of the opinion fleets and plow guys may want an entry level engine that isn’t gigantic (like the old 6.2). However, my 7.3 gets better fuel economy than my dads old 6.2 even in the city so not sure there is much benefit to a smaller V8 other than perceived savings. That 6.2 was working all the time and downshifting on hills empty where the 7.3 just loafs along happily, which seems to be saving me fuel by comparison so far.
 
having that on our Defender, I'd have to say the digital RVM is overrated. This is coming from someone who uses mirrors extensively for constantly updating situational awareness going down the road. The wider angle look can be a bit distracting too. It takes a good bit of getting used to. About the only benefit is the light amplification in a lower ambient light situation. It's quick and easy to access, but I just never use it.

Interestingly, when I ordered the Defender it was during the covid days of parts supply disruptions and the LR forums were getting weekly updates on vehicles delivered with options left off. The rear camera in the shark fin that feeds the screen on the rear view mirror was a common casualty. I had it in my mind that it was a deal breaker if the 110 showed up without it, and told the dealer as much. It turns out it's more of a novelty than anything else. In theory, it's a benefit for when the rear cargo area is packed to the roof. Not much different that a shell with tinted windows, which i have on the truck. I don't miss the rear view mirror as it is. You live and die by good side mirrors. Being tall, and sitting up high, I wouldn't even mind losing the RVM all together for a cleaner field of vision out the front. I think a digital rear view mirror is a low-cost bell/whistle for upper-end model trims that's more marketing than function.
 
Honestly my 8.1 Litre was as good on mileage as the 6.0 Chevy. Just made power lower and allowed for taller shifts. I’m sure if you ran empty all day the smaller engine might help but for even daily driver with stop and go, the bigger engine works less to get the truck going.
 
Ford ESP is going to be getting a workouk over the next few new model years. Keep making the trucks more dependent on electronics/digital displays, it's going to be a nightmare at the dealership service lane.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
 
Well it's about time as all of their competitors have it. I had it in my Chevy and miss it...loved using the camera mirror feature.
 
Oof. Glad I got a 26.

Ford ESP is going to be getting a workouk over the next few new model years. Keep making the trucks more dependent on electronics/digital displays, it's going to be a nightmare at the dealership service lane.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
So is their OTA update server 😂
 
Ford ESP is going to be getting a workouk over the next few new model years. Keep making the trucks more dependent on electronics/digital displays, it's going to be a nightmare at the dealership service lane.

:cool: :cool: :coffee: :coffee: 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲 🇺🇲
Much can be said for adding another possible point of failure to an already tech heavy system. Granted, I dig the bells and whistles, but it says something that we will be relying on a digital image instead of a live reflection.
 
Much can be said for adding another possible point of failure to an already tech heavy system. Granted, I dig the bells and whistles, but it says something that we will be relying on a digital image instead of a live reflection.
You can select either or. Not just digital.
 
I would rather have it than not. Would be handy for the odd time I have to roll with the Bakflip in the up position.

Wonder if they are adding another camera, or just displaying the image from the existing tailgate camera.
 
Back
Top Bottom