LED Bumper Light Bar / Flag Mount

Wow... Interesting... Uath this didn't care as long as you had one and every utv and side by side have them on the back
I think it is because more vehicles in a tighter space and making sure you are seen when coming over a hill. About half of our dunes has two way traffic.

SVT4X4,
if you get the notion to do so, I would appreciate a how-to on your light bar project.
How did you mount the light to the p/up? Did you remove the bumper in order to cut it?
The fit & finish of your light bar is superb, and I think the placement is definitely one of the best I've seen.
I did remove the bumper and took off all of the plastic parts. Them marked out where the light would go and drilled holes in the corners, then used by 4 1/2 inch cutting wheel to make the cuts. Cleaned up the edges with a file. The LED light I bought mounted on the ends, so I made up some tabs and welded them on the back side of the bumper. Painted that back area and then the front part of the bumper with some raddle can bed liner after scuffing up the chrome.

light bar looks great. well integrated. I wonder if it would interfere with the winch at all. Or do you think it's tucked nicely into the upper recess of the bumper? I like the BD front light bar but don't like that it blocks the front camera. This would be a great option. thanks for sharing

I did remove the bumper and took off all of the plastic parts. Them marked out where the light would go and drilled holes in the corners, then used by 4 1/2 inch cutting wheel to make the cuts. Cleaned up the edges with a file. The LED light I bought mounted on the ends, so I made up some tabs and welded them on the back side of the bumper. Painted that back area and then the front part of the bumper with some raddle can bed liner after scuffing up the chrome.

SVT4x4, you better run to the patent office ??
I have a feeling that some company will soon market some sort of 'kit' to assist the buyer in doing what you have already done....they'll likely provide (ie: mark-up) a light bar, throw-in some sort of stencil-type contraption to aid in cutting the bumper along w/space-age tabs to mount the light bar, and sell it for waaay more $ than the contents therein...

light bar looks great. well integrated. I wonder if it would interfere with the winch at all. Or do you think it's tucked nicely into the upper recess of the bumper? I like the BD front light bar but don't like that it blocks the front camera. This would be a great option. thanks for sharing
If the top of the winch goes into that upper cavity at all I would say it would not work.

If the top of the winch goes into that upper cavity at all I would say it would not work.
Just picked up my Rigid RDS-SR and thought I would be mounting it on the plastic on top of the bumper. Seeing yours, I just changed my mind. Your cuts look amazingly straight. Hand held angle grinder with cutoff wheel? Thinking I may need an inline cutoff tool or clamped on guide to achieve the same.

Just picked up my Rigid RDS-SR and thought I would be mounting it on the plastic on top of the bumper. Seeing yours, I just changed my mind. Your cuts look amazingly straight. Hand held angle grinder with cutoff wheel? Thinking I may need an inline cutoff tool or clamped on guide to achieve the same.
I used masking tape to mark on, measured everything out and double and triple checked, then put all my lines on the masking tape. Drilled the corners with a drill bit first. Then used my 4 1/2 inch cut off wheel and hand electric grinder. Larger wheel will really help you cut straighter then small 3 inch cut off wheel with die grinder.

That's the way I like to do things, that it could look stock, or like Ford should have done it that way.

I've been studying on this project (the way you did it). My thought process is limited, as I don't even have the truck, yet.
Do you happen to have any pics of the lightbar mounted, under the bumper? I remember you mentioning welding-up some mounts... pics would be icing on the cake
Thanks,

Y
I had been debating on what to do on my front bumper for a dune flag mount and was going to build it into a light bar mount. With this did not want to block any airflow going into the truck, and was first going to put the light bar in front of the main bumper bar, but it looked like it would partly block the front camera. So ended up cutting a piece out of the bumper, getting a curved light and installing in the bumper welding some light mounts on the inside. Then used a rattle can spray bed liner on that part of bumper. Really like how it turned out. Then for a flag mount made a two piece that bolts to the bumper bolts, and I can remove the outer piece if needed. View attachment 6900View attachment 6901View attachment 6902
You should put a patented on that. That’s a great design! Your idea!

Thanks @SVT4X4 for the inspiration to tackle this project.

Finished up my light project today - Rigid light bar and BD fog lights. Definitely some lessons learned along the way and here are my tips if you want to give this a go. Super happy to have a decent set of lights now.

Disassembly
  • There are two electrical connections to the bumper on the 6.7 - fog lights AND block heater plug. Forgot about the heater and it was painful to get that off mid flight while holding the bumper.
  • Take off all extra brackets behind bumper. You cant get to the fog or the main light bar space very easy and it makes it much easier to work with those off.
  • All plastic must be removed. Most are pretty standard clips. The top of bumper pad can probably be taken off without breaking the clips, but once I broke two on mine, I just gave in to buying a new one. All three pads from the parts dept will run you about $80.
Cutting
  • This part is not for the weak stomach folks. You will scratch your bumper even with masking tape. The good news is that rattle can bed liner works great in covering up the scratches and since the light bar portion is not next to anything shiny, it will be ok.
  • For both marking a straight line and the actual cutting, you are working on two radius edges - horizontal and vertical and so there are challenges there.
  • Tried string and several other straight edges to mark my cutting lines, but found a 100ft metal tape was most flexible and gave the best straight line.
  • Drill holes in each corner. Use a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. Easier than it looks to keep a straight line with that big of a wheel.
  • Be careful on the initial cut as that's where my wheel wanted to slip the most.
Mounting
  • The Rigid RDS-SR light fits perfectly in the space. Instead of welding mounts, I was able to use the factory mounts and drilled a hole in the top of the bumper for the mounting bolt.
  • My light is a 30 inch, but think a 40 could work as well.
  • Wiring was straight forward to the upfitter wire location.

IMG_E4291.JPG

IMG_4308.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG
IMG_4300.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG
IMG_4307.JPG

Last edited:
@PHXTremor,
I’m just now seeing this thread again, and the work you did. Very nice job. Congrats on a good looking instal!

I’m not going this route because I’m going to mount a Ranch Hand cow catcher to my front bumper.
If I weren’t going that route, I’d opt for this, no doubt.
Again, nice job.

@PHXTremor,
I’m just now seeing this thread again, and the work you did. Very nice job. Congrats on a good looking instal!

I’m not going this route because I’m going to mount a Ranch Hand cow catcher to my front bumper.
If I weren’t going that route, I’d opt for this, no doubt.
Again, nice job.
Thanks! If I lived back in the Hill/Brush Country, I would DEFINITELY have a Ranch Hand as well.

Thanks @SVT4X4 for the inspiration to tackle this project.

Finished up my light project today - Rigid light bar and BD fog lights. Definitely some lessons learned along the way and here are my tips if you want to give this a go. Super happy to have a decent set of lights now.

Disassembly
  • There are two electrical connections to the bumper on the 6.7 - fog lights AND block heater plug. Forgot about the heater and it was painful to get that off mid flight while holding the bumper.
  • Take off all extra brackets behind bumper. You cant get to the fog or the main light bar space very easy and it makes it much easier to work with those off.
  • All plastic must be removed. Most are pretty standard clips. The top of bumper pad can probably be taken off without breaking the clips, but once I broke two on mine, I just gave in to buying a new one. All three pads from the parts dept will run you about $80.
Cutting
  • This part is not for the weak stomach folks. You will scratch your bumper even with masking tape. The good news is that rattle can bed liner works great in covering up the scratches and since the light bar portion is not next to anything shiny, it will be ok.
  • For both marking a straight line and the actual cutting, you are working on two radius edges - horizontal and vertical and so there are challenges there.
  • Tried string and several other straight edges to mark my cutting lines, but found a 100ft metal tape was most flexible and gave the best straight line.
  • Drill holes in each corner. Use a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. Easier than it looks to keep a straight line with that big of a wheel.
  • Be careful on the initial cut as that's where my wheel wanted to slip the most.
Mounting
  • The Rigid RDS-SR light fits perfectly in the space. Instead of welding mounts, I was able to use the factory mounts and drilled a hole in the top of the bumper for the mounting bolt.
  • My light is a 30 inch, but think a 40 could work as well.
  • Wiring was straight forward to the upfitter wire location.

View attachment 9465
View attachment 9467View attachment 9468
View attachment 9471View attachment 9464View attachment 9469View attachment 9470
That looks great, very nice job.

Back