Fumoto oil pan drain valve

Finally did my first oil change and put on the fumoto valve. Unfortunately I've got a leak. No easy way to do the exact torque, but I followed their guideline of thread in by hand first - which was no problem at all, threaded very easy. And got it hand tight - which the valve was basically sitting perfectly pointing at the 12 o'clock position. Then I took a wrench and tightened 1/8 of a turn - so now it's pointing at that point between 1 and 2 o'clock.

Their warnings all say DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, so called them and left a voicemail. I also see on their website install they say you can go up to a 1/4 turn. Edit: the install instructions that came with the valve say 1/8 turn only.

Wondering what everyone's experience has been with torquing these down? Should I go for the 1/4 turn?

Last edited:
Finally did my first oil change and put on the fumoto valve. Unfortunately I've got a leak. No easy way to do the exact torque, but I followed their guideline of thread in by hand first - which was no problem at all, threaded very easy. And got it hand tight - which the valve was basically sitting perfectly pointing at the 12 o'clock position. Then I took a wrench and tightened 1/8 of a turn - so now it's pointing at that point between 1 and 2 o'clock.

Their warnings all say DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN, so called them and left a voicemail. I also see on their website install they say you can go up to a 1/4 turn. Edit: the install instructions that came with the valve say 1/8 turn only.

Wondering what everyone's experience has been with torquing these down? Should I go for the 1/4 turn?
I’d take it back out and apply some Teflon tape to the threads. The problem is, you already have oil in it. If you have a shop vac you can attach the hose to where you put the oil in. With the shop vac on you can remove the valve without losing any oil while you apply the tape.

To conclude my story - I spoke with Fumoto support. They were ready to send a replacement no issues at all. I mentioned I saw on their website instructions they suggest you can go up to a 1/4 turn past hand-tight and asked if I should try that or not. They said it probably can't make anything worse, the valve threaded in no problem up to hand tight, and the difference between 1/8 turn and 1/4 turn shouldn't break anything that wasn't already broken.

Gave it a shot and pushed it all the way to just shy of the full 1/4 turn. Took the truck on a ~20 mile drive or so. Checked it and no obvious leaks. Checked again this morning and today and so far no leaks. So I'm probably just pretty wary of all of their DON'T OVERTIGHTEN warnings. Probably could have also gone snugger on the "hand tighten" part of the step as well, which would have made it an 1/8 of a turn at the end of the day.

Overall doesn't look like I need to replace it!

Last edited:
Ran these on the last 5 Super Duties. Love them and will definitely put on one my 2021. Now, if the oil filter was no mess that would be great.
I pop a hole in mine with a cordless drill, saves some mess...at least it’s somewhat controlled...

I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've taken any one of the trucks I've had over my lifetime in to get the oil changed. That being said, I've never had a problem pulling the plug and draining the oil. One advantage with the plug is that it is magnetized, so it will attract small metal particles that are suspended in the oil that would otherwise accelerate engine wear if allowed to remain circulating in the engine. My concern is that I would lose that advantage by replacing the magnetized plug for the Fumoto oil pan drain valve. Am I overanalyzing this?
i put one of those round flat 25lb magnets on the bottom of my oil filter. i don't know if it works, but that's what i do, just in case it does do something good.

Heads up gents, I went to install the Fumoto F137N valve today and it was the wrong size thread, to small. I contacted Fumoto and they said it was a mistake on their website and they are mailing me the proper thread size valve. DO NOT order the F137N it’s not going to fit.

This is the proper valve/thread-

View attachment 16160

View attachment 16167
patriot, thanks for starting this thread. i have been using fumoto valves for years on various rigs. i wasn't sure which one to order for the tremor. now i know. thanks

To conclude my story - I spoke with Fumoto support. They were ready to send a replacement no issues at all. I mentioned I saw on their website instructions they suggest you can go up to a 1/4 turn past hand-tight and asked if I should try that or not. They said it probably can't make anything worse, the valve threaded in no problem up to hand tight, and the difference between 1/8 turn and 1/4 turn shouldn't break anything that wasn't already broken.

Gave it a shot and pushed it all the way to just shy of the full 1/4 turn. Took the truck on a ~20 mile drive or so. Checked it and no obvious leaks. Checked again this morning and today and so far no leaks. So I'm probably just pretty weary of all of their DON'T OVERTIGHTEN warnings. Probably could have also gone snugger on the "hand tighten" part of the step as well, which would have made it an 1/8 of a turn at the end of the day.

Overall doesn't look like I need to replace it!
The valve body and threads are brass. If they didn't put that type of warning on the packaging there would be even more gorillas out there tightening the valve into the pan with a breaker bar. Now that you've got it snugged up where it wants to be I doubt you'll see any future issues. I've been using them on all my vehicles since 2009 without a single issue.

I’ve used them on every vehicle for the last 15 years. They’ve been great and I’ve never had any issues. I’ll be adding another one to my new truck when it arrives.

These scare me. I’ll just turn my bolt every oil change.

Had one on five different vehicles. Never an issue. I have however stripped an oil drain plug in an aluminum pan and had a dealership completely forget to reinstall the plug.

The ONLY way for it to fail, is for you to leave it open, refill the oil, NOT notice the huge mess… and drive away.

Maybe I’m stubborn and Have done zero research on the valve, but nope. Valves fail. Not worth the little risk that may exist to me.

Edit: it’s just a ball valve for sealing? definitely a no for me.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m stubborn and Have done zero research on the valve, but nope. Valves fail. Not worth the little risk that may exist to me.

Edit: it’s just a ball valve for sealing? definitely a no for me.
Yeah these ball valves are on hundreds (that I personally know of) of multimillion dollar cranes and other pieces of heavy equipment with zero issues.

Some of these pieces of equipment take quite the beating in the dirt running for at least 8 hours a day if not 16 or 24 and no issues. Just one of these pieces of equipment will have a couple thousand hours (2k-6k) a year run time with no issues.

Couldn’t ask for a better reliability study. These pieces of equipment not only cost lots of money but them going down and not running getting the job done costs even more money on top of that and they don’t mess around and risk downtime.

I just did my first oil change with this valve, on a cold engine. I do have to say it is easy and makes absolutely no mess like the splashes I got with the stock drain plug. I just put the hose into an old oil jug and open the valve.

My only negative comment is that it is somewhat slow to drain. It probably took 20 minutes to fully drain the pan, with the filler cap and oil filter both off. I wonder if it would go faster with warmer oil?

All in all, a success, just not as fast as I expected, but I installed it to save on the mess so it accomplished that.

Ed

I just did my first oil change with this valve, on a cold engine. I do have to say it is easy and makes absolutely no mess like the splashes I got with the stock drain plug. I just put the hose into an old oil jug and open the valve.

My only negative comment is that it is somewhat slow to drain. It probably took 20 minutes to fully drain the pan, with the filler cap and oil filter both off. I wonder if it would go faster with warmer oil?

All in all, a success, just not as fast as I expected, but I installed it to save on the mess so it accomplished that.

Ed

It does drain slower. Supposedly the Stahlbus drains faster. Imo it’s not a big deal. While the pan is draining I just check tire pressures and adjust, then top off other fluids. Toss another bucket under the oil filter and punch a hole so that is draining at the same time

Ed
I always change mine when it’s warm. Sometimes I will let it drain over night. With the valve you could change it when the oil is scalding hot without an issue.

Had one since I did my first oil change on my old 09. First item I bought while waiting for the 22 so hopefully didn't buy the wrong one since its past the Amazon return policy.

Ed
Ed,
I’ve done mine with hot/warm oil every time, and it has only taken a few minutes to drain completely. Try giving that a shot next time.

I will give that a try. It's not a deal breaker for me, but if it drained faster, I could be done in 10 minutes with no mess.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed,
I’ve done mine with hot/warm oil every time, and it has only taken a few minutes to drain completely. Try giving that a shot next time.

I will give that a try. It's not a deal breaker for me, but if it drained faster, I could be done in 10 minutes with no mess.

Thanks!

Ed

I’ve done mine hot the 2 times since installing it and it goes pretty fast. It’s probably done before I get the filter off and definitely done before I get the new filter installed.

Always want oil warm for draining. I want as much of the old oil out as possible.

Dudes, Ive had fumotos on last five diesels. they are bullet proof. Rock solid, never leak and failsafe with spring lock mechanism to prevent any possibilty of even being forced open by accident. There is no argument the bolt is better. Youre constantly rethreading a bolt in, torquing to spec (yeah right lol) chance to strip it, over or under tighten it and the metal or rubber washer can wear our or be compressed and leak. Put a fumoto on properly, you will never touch the threads again. If you like messy oil changes stick with the bolt, If you like a super clean, effective drain…get the valve. Thank us all later.

Back