Fox 2.5 HTO

Those that replace shocks, did you buy new hardware or just reuse the old hardware?
 
Last edited:
Those that replace socks, did you buy new hardware or just reuse the old hardware?


When I installed four Bilstein 5160s, Bilstein supplied the front shocks' upper bushings, washers and nylocks. The front shocks' lower bolts are Ford factory bolts and can be reused as can be both upper and lower mounting on the rear axle.

You may have to wire brush off of the bolts some minor rust and/or corrosion but if that's really bad, then, visit your Ford dealer's parts counter. Just don't fall over when you get the bill. Ford is awfully proud of their nuts and bolts.

You're going to love the new damping! Oh boy, oh boy oh boy oh boy.
 
When I installed four Bilstein 5160s, Bilstein supplied the front shocks' upper bushings, washers and nylocks. The front shocks' lower bolts are Ford factory bolts and can be reused as can be both upper and lower mounting on the rear axle.

You may have to wire brush off of the bolts some minor rust and/or corrosion but if that's really bad, then, visit your Ford dealer's parts counter. Just don't fall over when you get the bill. Ford is awfully proud of their nuts and bolts.

You're going to love the new damping! Oh boy, oh boy oh boy oh boy.
I just got a new tranny filter and the rubber gasket from ford. Price of the filter was what it was but the gasket was $67 for a thin piece of rubber. Total BS and the guy behind the counter knew it
 
I’m a bit disappointed that none of y’all said how much fun that front passenger shock is!!!!! 😂
How did y’all torque the top of the front shocks?
 
^ ^ ^ with an extension. From time to time ya gotta eyeball the bushings to get 'em to the o.d. of the washers, then stop tightening.

Hope the rest of the job goes well! (y)
 
So do you just hold the body of the shock while using the extension? That dang thing has an Allen key that you are supposed to hold while tightening?!?! 🤔
 
It's been over six months it seems, but I believe I used a strip of belt leather and a gentle setting on my ViceGrips to hold the very top of the shock body w/o damage while I stood over the engine bay.

You'll figure it out! (y) The rest is pretty straightfoward.
 
Well for my first post I'll dive in to the Fox 2.5 HTO topic. First of all I ordered a 2026 F250 XLT, 7.3, Regular Cab Long Bed. Two shakes away from converting this truck to a Regular Cab Tremor (Mostly front axle swap along with the electronics side of things). I ordered my truck with a heavy front end as well as rear wtih camper package. #1 Shock Surplus (where I purchased from and many others sell 2.5HTO's for standard F250 & Tremor trucks). #2 I phoned FOX and spoke with them directly and they reported DO NOT USE 2.5 HTO's as they are not truly set up for the standard or Tremor ride height. #3 I know many have been doing this and I actually plan on it as well. #4 I would like to drop the factory bump stop about .5" to ensure NOT bottoming out the front shock. Anyway, here are some pictures of what I have come up with. Bottom of shock tower on my truck vs a 2026 Tremor is right at 18.5" to 19 1/4". All of the Tremors I've measured on the lot etc DO NOT have a 2" lift as others have stated. ***My truck measures 1 3/8" difference from front to back on the fender openings. A 1" Lift and 1" lowered bumpstop and I'd 100% move forward. Very curious as to what your clearance is with the truck on the ground from bottom of shock body to Fox shock bumpstop and or bottom eyelet.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8223.webp
    IMG_8223.webp
    225.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2026-08-20 at 8.48.36 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-08-20 at 8.48.36 PM.webp
    125.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8138.webp
    IMG_8138.webp
    226.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8143.webp
    IMG_8143.webp
    174.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8144.webp
    IMG_8144.webp
    109.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8145.webp
    IMG_8145.webp
    265.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8146.webp
    IMG_8146.webp
    138 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8147.webp
    IMG_8147.webp
    183.4 KB · Views: 16
My Regular Cab Tremor Project. Method NV315 (18 offset) & MT Baja Boss 305/70-18"s. Speedo calibrated with FORscan as well as tire PSI (45lbs, Chalk test 90 to 95%). Naturally will increase PSI to 60psi when towing moderate trailers.

IMG_7938.webp
 
I went ahead and ordered the 0-1.5" version of these today. Was kind of going back and forth on what I really wanted to do. Was half tempted to go ahead and move up to the Fox Performance Elite series, but I don't know how much they would really benefit me over the HTO's. I won't be doing any extreme offroading in the Tremor, more just on road driving, slower forest service roads, and pulling various trailers.

Coming from a Ram 3500 DRW with Thuren suspension (Fox Resi 2.0" shocks and Thuren front coils), I am sure the Tremor will provide a more compliant ride anyways. It would be nice if I could get it to ride equally as good as my Bronco Raptor, but that may be wishful thinking.
 
So do you just hold the body of the shock while using the extension? That dang thing has an Allen key that you are supposed to hold while tightening?!?! 🤔
It is really cramped but yes, I used an Allen wrench to keep the shock from turning and another wrench to tighten down the top nut. There is no way to use a torque wrench.
 
It is really cramped but yes, I used an Allen wrench to keep the shock from turning and another wrench to tighten down the top nut. There is no way to use a torque wrench.
Correct. Instructions explicitly state to tighten the nut until it is preload compressed by approximately 1/8 inch. So, it's a "visible" tightening spec, not a torque spec.
 
Just a minute ago, I saw that Fox discontinued the HTO shocks sized for 0-1.5" lift. 😬
Apollo Offroad still has some of the full kits available.
 
Fox told me they no longer offer/suggest the 0 to 1.5" HTO's for non lifted F250's. Two main reasons. FRONT SHOCKS ONLY. #1 the shock body is too long. #2 The drop is too much for brakelines, etc.
I went ahead and installed them on mine and I am very pleased.

When I was speaking with them I asked why they didn't make a shorter body version to allow more clearance on compression. I didn't get an answer.

I have mine fully installed (with boots on) so I don't have an actual instalelled measurement however with the top of the shock properly torqued down the rubbers squish and give a measuremnt close to 2.65" installed. NOTE". 2.250" from pad to bump stop on my truck (heavy duty front end, just not quite Tremor leveled, but close)
NOTE" top bushing "squish" and bump stop contact pad where I put break grease on it to see a witness mark after hitting a pretty aggressive dip at 45mph.

***I did buy some 1" bumpstop drops but need to put them on the lathe to convert them to .5" drop. Once installed I have zero worries about bottoming out the front shocks.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.18.54 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.18.54 PM.webp
    160.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.18.37 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.18.37 PM.webp
    168.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.14.33 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.14.33 PM.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.14.23 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.14.23 PM.webp
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.13.32 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 2.13.32 PM.webp
    170.6 KB · Views: 7
There is no way to use a torque wrench.
They expect the bushings to bulge a certain amount. Either visually or they’ll give you a diameter to check with a caliper.
If a torque value is required, that application would call for a Crown Foot on the torque wrench.
1790889468301.webp
 
They expect the bushings to bulge a certain amount. Either visually or they’ll give you a diameter to check with a caliper.
If a torque value is required, that application would call for a Crown Foot on the torque wrench.
I don't think you can fit a crows foot in there either. There really is only so much torque you can apply with a 4" long Allen wrench in tight quarters. Given you have the weight of the truck on that bushing I don't think a super precise torque is critical.
 
I don't think you can fit a crows foot in there either. There really is only so much torque you can apply with a 4" long Allen wrench in tight quarters. Given you have the weight of the truck on that bushing I don't think a super precise torque is critical.
No, the fronts aren’t super critical.
I’ve done it with the crow on a 2017 truck. It’s a bizznitch for sure. The top of the stud was held with a 1/4” drive breaker bar (8” long) and a socket style Allen.
 
Back
Top Bottom