HOT! Ford Diesel Locking Fuel and DEF Caps

Interested?

• Yes!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You should have added a Maybe option. I am interested in the idea of locking access, but it depends on aesthetics, easy of use, cost, and definitely ease of install... 🤣

I like all of the team energy on this great topic. My 2022 F450 comes in Oct 27th, and i for sure need to lock the fueling area. We’ll put our thinking caps on too, and see what we can come up with.

I got the parts guys cross refrencing years 19 to current to make sure there were no slight changes. Should have info later this week on that.
There were some changes within the filler door as they don't look cosmetically the same iirc.

Nice. Can you do something to the spinning locking thing so the Seattle Degenerates can't put a crescent wrench on the locking thing and just force it to turn?
Funny story, a few years back there was a group of tweekers out stealing gas at night. They had the bright idea to hit up a funeral home but due to modernized theft devices they couldnt get a hose in the filler neck. Their lightbulb moment was to crawl under all of the hearses and punch holes with screw drivers, drain them into pans and fill buckets. The punch line....they were using cigarette lighters to see what they were doing. The story didnt end well, but their location was convenient.

Looks like it'd come off if you weren't afraid of damaging anything. Good strap wrench would likely twist it off.
Probably. It might deter some common hooligans, but if a pro really wants to do fuel tank damage, i doubt any solution will stop them given current supeduty’s fuel tank design.

Update: I'm still working on this. Have done alot of hands on research with figuring out parts that fit and don't fit between years of trucks.

Unfortunately, Ford thought it'd be a good idea and change the filler neck threads between one year; pretty sure it switched over from 2020 and 2021, so that complicates matters. The 2020 and prior trucks have the white threads on the fuel cap, whereas the newer trucks have a black thread on the fuel cap. I 100% confirmed the white thread cap will not work in my 2022 truck, since I ordered one of those caps from Amazon to verify.

The 2021/2022 fuel cap sortof works on the 2020 and prior filler neck, but is canted at a slight angle when fully tightened, which is enough to bother me. The extent of if this will be an issue or not with requiring to develop at least two different fuel cap variants (or even more) is not known yet.

I ordered a fuel filler neck using my 2022 VIN and Ford sent me the older thread style filler neck, which is technically the right part # on parts.ford.com. It's just funny because Ford must've forgot that the newer fuel caps aren't 100% meant for the older filler neck and I bet they're only saving the newer filler necks for the assembly line.

Still waiting on the backordered DEF filler neck. Again, hard to get since they're prioritizing them for the assembly line. Parts counter put an order in for me.

All the parts are being used for a 1:1 mockup/replica of what is on the truck, which has the convenience of me not messing up my truck in the development process and saving trips back and forth to get measurements. Will post a photo later of what I mean.

Last edited:
Still wish we could figure out how to have a lock on the fuel door that had a lock actuator that tied into the factory lock/unlock door system. That would be so nice. I hate keys for every little thing. I need my truck here so I can see more about space and options for that. I want to see if a system from another Ford vehicle with a locking fuel door could be made to work for the SD

Still wish we could figure out how to have a lock on the fuel door that had a lock actuator that tied into the factory lock/unlock door system. That would be so nice. I hate keys for every little thing. I need my truck here so I can see more about space and options for that. I want to see if a system from another Ford vehicle with a locking fuel door could be made to work for the SD

I guess I'm the opposite of you. I love physical locks/keys over electronic locks. I also like to have everything keyed alike as much as possible to reduce the number of keys on my keyring. That's why I did what I did to lock the fuel door. It's also why I opted against PTS on my truck.

Anyhow, what you're describing isn't all that hard. The beauty of our trucks is that it's huge. Lots of space to work with. You can easily place a universal lock actuator behind the fender that pokes into the filler box. Tap into the tailgate locking actuator wiring, install a lock catch on the fuel door to accept the actuator rod, and voila. Locking fuel door. Ok, that was probably much easier said than done, but that should give you or someone else here a place to start.

Ok, that was probably much easier said than done, but that should give you or someone else here a place to start.
HAHA! definitely easier said than done! But, yes, thats' exactly what I've been looking into. I do agree with you, in a sense that if I could have one key for all kinds of stuff, I'm cool with that. But seems like lately I'm amassing different keys for all my crap, and I hate having. lot of keys on my keyring. Forgot about tapping into the tailgate actuator wiring. Glad you mentioned that. I forgot they did that, and saves a lot of work!

Here's the pics I mentioned earlier that I would post. Literally a perfect replica other than a fender (and the backordered DEF filler neck).

uXYCWZZ.jpg

uUHSUDd.jpg

Here's the pics I mentioned earlier that I would post. Literally a perfect replica other than a fender (and the backordered DEF filler neck).

uXYCWZZ.jpg

uUHSUDd.jpg
On a totally different note, is there room on the upper part between the fill caps for installation of a quick connect air coupler? I’d love to have mine hidden in that area instead of on the back of the truck.

That is how everything locks up on my Z4. It is just a plastic pin/plunger, but when I hit the lock button the system locks up gas cap door, glove box and storage area.

Back