dull thumping sound

Dealer ordered new rear shocks. :) I will report back once complete.

Keep us posted.

I am wondering if this has anything to do with the rail/carrier travel from Kentucky. If these trucks are being shackled down too much for too long it could be blowing shocks. That's if the shocks were not defective at the time of installation.
My dealership said that there were a bad batch of these from Fox and he had seen them go bad on the raptors as well. However I don’t trust them any farther than I can throw them so take that with a grain of salt.

My dealership said that there were a bad batch of these from Fox and he had seen them go bad on the raptors as well. However I don’t trust them any farther than I can throw them so take that with a grain of salt.
That’s interesting. I didn’t think these were fox shocks on the tremor. I figured they were rebranded cheaper options.

New shocks are installed. The crappy thumping sounds is gonzo! I didn't realize how annoying that sound was. New shocks look the same - but make zero sound!!!! I hope it lasts!

That’s interesting. I didn’t think these were fox shocks on the tremor. I figured they were rebranded cheaper options.
Yeah same here. Like i said, I don’t trust that service advisor much so take it with a grain of salt. Just had them replaced under warranty at 4k miles and now the thumping is gone. At least I can now drive it without worrying they are going to come apart on the freeway.

New shocks are installed. The crappy thumping sounds is gonzo! I didn't realize how annoying that sound was. New shocks look the same - but make zero sound!!!! I hope it lasts!
I hope your last. Mines heading back in to replace one of the new ones they put on that starting rattling. Clearly they still have some issues with them.

I hope your last. Mines heading back in to replace one of the new ones they put on that starting rattling. Clearly they still have some issues with them.
That’s crappy to hear. I believe if that’s what happens to me, I’ll take the plunge into aftermarket.

It’s like a whole different truck without that crappy dull clunking.

Not to beat a dead horse but my truck is about 2 weeks old with little under 500 miles. Last 2 times I pulled in my drive way to back into my spot I have heard an odd sound, almost as if something was hitting inside a wheel well and echoing. I read this discussion long before my truck was even built so was hoping it wouldn’t be me but…. I’ll give it some more run time and see if I can pin point the sound but… (mine is a 22 tremor with gas bone stock)

My rear shocks did it. When I pulled them off you could see where one of the plastic skirts that protect piston had been banging into the shock body.

Push down on your bumper standing behind the truck and bounce it slightly. That’s how I found mine were shot.

Push down on your bumper standing behind the truck and bounce it slightly. That’s how I found mine were shot.
Well it stopped raining so I ran out quick and tried. Bouncing on the rear bumper I can hear a sound for sure coming from driver rear :cautious: I’ll have to get one of the kids out later so I canlisten under or something. Very frustrating, no way it blew or anything in 500 miles so it arrived no good.

Well it stopped raining so I ran out quick and tried. Bouncing on the rear bumper I can hear a sound for sure coming from driver rear :cautious: I’ll have to get one of the kids out later so I canlisten under or something. Very frustrating, no way it blew or anything in 500 miles so it arrived no good.
You didn’t blow it - mine did the same with 500 miles. They replaced both.

I question if these trucks are strapped down on rail cars too tightly. That’s the only theory I have other than crap shocks from the get-go.

Ya true. No oil or signs of anything else just clunks. From all the complaints people have on them maybe they are just not the best or a flaw in the design somewhere. I guess I’ll be giving dealer a call 😩

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been hearing that same dull banging sound for a few thousand miles now on my '22 7.3 Lariat 350 (I'm a little over 8K miles total). Just like the rest of you, I hear it while driving at low speed, over bumpy surfaces (like when I pull out of my driveway in the morning, or drive in a rough parking lot). I can hear a similar sound by pushing on the rear bumper and making the rear suspension move a little. Doing the same on the front doesn't make any unusual sounds, that I can tell.

I guess I'll be scheduling a trip to the dealer. :cautious:

-SR-

I bought Bilstein 5100s to put on this week. Hopeful to never hear that thunk again!

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been hearing that same dull banging sound for a few thousand miles now on my '22 7.3 Lariat 350 (I'm a little over 8K miles total). Just like the rest of you, I hear it while driving at low speed, over bumpy surfaces (like when I pull out of my driveway in the morning, or drive in a rough parking lot). I can hear a similar sound by pushing on the rear bumper and making the rear suspension move a little. Doing the same on the front doesn't make any unusual sounds, that I can tell.

-SR-
It’s worth it - at least while they are under warranty. I’ll likely swap out the suspension post warranty with something else. However, I believe it’s the same shock they replace them with. Mine have gone 9,500 more miles than the first rear set went. It still makes me wonder if they were clamped down too much while on rail.

-SR-
Rear shocks

I put my Bilstein 5100s on. Thunk is gone, suspension noise as a whole is basically nonexistent, truck drives so much flatter and more controlled.

Anyone even thinking about this owes it to themselves to put some decent shocks on. I paid $360 for 4 5100s and imagine anything fancier may be even better.

I can't believe we were arguing earlier this year that Tremor shocks were quality. 🤣

Back