Coolers/Freezers

Dometic used to make a fridge unit that fit in the console of the F150/350. I'd love to see that available for the 23 and up trucks again. I'm not thinking it's likely though.
Agreed, I doubt it…. That was part of my original plans when I bought this truck but the new ones have USB-C outlets in the console whereas the 22 and older had a 12V outlet the fridge plugged in to.
 
I was under the impression that the old fridges won't fit in the console. If it was just a connecting issue to the power supply that's a reasonably easy fix.

I could be wrong... it happened once before. 😅
 
I also have an Iceco VL74 single zone version. Sometimes I wish I had the dual zone for ice in the desert summer, but that divider took up a lot of space. I'll probably pick up an ice cube makers eventually.

Like others, I cut the 12V cigarette adapter and direct-wired it to my battery bank (the fridge has its own fuse). I added the cover since it runs from the back of the truck. It has been going strong now for 2 years. In Moab, when it was 106°F outside, the cooler kept everything at 34°F. It has survived bumpy fire roads too.

View attachment 167368
So did you run an extension from the bed all the way to the battery bank? And instead of installing an outlet in the bed, you just spliced into the DC adapter for the cooler?
 
Agreed, I doubt it…. That was part of my original plans when I bought this truck but the new ones have USB-C outlets in the console whereas the 22 and older had a 12V outlet the fridge plugged in to.
Another win for the '22! 🤪. Sorry, gotta take 'em when I sees 'em.
 
Just ordered this same model yesterday. Looking forward to getting it hooked up. Looks like a good one.
please look me up and tell me how it is we are planning to go to AK summer of '25
 
Just an FYI, anyone who has a BLUETTI 200L or a battery with a similar footprint, i ordered this generator cover from Amazon to provide a water resistant barrier to be safe under my Retrax. It fits almost perfectly and you can't beat the price. Quality seems pretty good too.

https://a.co/d/5PC3NuH
 
So did you run an extension from the bed all the way to the battery bank? And instead of installing an outlet in the bed, you just spliced into the DC adapter for the cooler?
I’m not sure how he did it, but for a couple months I ran a 12v cig adapter in the bed of my truck that the cooler was plugged into. I got tired of the cig plug working it’s way loose on bumpy roads, so I cut and spliced it it. I haven’t had an issue in 6+ months.
 
I have a 22 with a 7 PIN plug only in the bed. Are you using an adaptor to plug into that for power? Or have you run power into the bed some other way. Not counting solar.
 
I’d have to agree with some of the above posts. A fridge has been one of the absolute best purchases I made for camping. I believe my first one was back in 2018-ish and it was a 63qt ARB, what they call the classic now. I purchased this one rather than the 50qt which would have been big enough because it was lower profile and fit my needs better at the time.
IMG_9251.webp
IMG_8966.webp
IMG_8967.webp
IMG_8950.webp

It was at the time mounted to an AluCab tilting fridge slide and anchored to a Decked drawer under my GFC. This system could not have worked better. This fridge was powered by a Dometic PLB-40. This battery was pretty ground breaking at the time as one of the first LiFePo batteries available and basically gave you a “house” battery with zero effort. Plug the charge side into an outlet and the fridge into the battery and you’re done. When you drive the battery charges when you stop the battery takes over keeping the fridge running. This system has moved over to my wife’s daily driver now and is used to buy groceries since we’re pretty far from the nearest store.

When I sold the GFC and bought an AluCab Khaya camper it came with a National Luna dual zone fridge freezer. This thing was BOMBER and extremely efficient. Best fridge I’ve ever used but it was something like $1800 at retail…. Which is ridiculous. This fridge stayed with the camper when we sold it.

The new camper has an Isotherm fridge in it, its door style and to be honest my least favorite of those I’ve owned. It just doesn’t fit as much in it because of the way it opens. I’ll likely be running the ARB in the backseat of the truck to supplement the fridge in the camper on longer trips. I also really miss the dual zone of the National Luna as being able to carry frozen meat or veggies is awesome! Anyway just my thoughts!


IMG_2991.webp

The National Luna….

IMG_3345.webp

And the current Isotherm
 
I’d have to agree with some of the above posts. A fridge has been one of the absolute best purchases I made for camping. I believe my first one was back in 2018-ish and it was a 63qt ARB, what they call the classic now. I purchased this one rather than the 50qt which would have been big enough because it was lower profile and fit my needs better at the time.
View attachment 167859View attachment 167860View attachment 167861View attachment 167862
It was at the time mounted to an AluCab tilting fridge slide and anchored to a Decked drawer under my GFC. This system could not have worked better. This fridge was powered by a Dometic PLB-40. This battery was pretty ground breaking at the time as one of the first LiFePo batteries available and basically gave you a “house” battery with zero effort. Plug the charge side into an outlet and the fridge into the battery and you’re done. When you drive the battery charges when you stop the battery takes over keeping the fridge running. This system has moved over to my wife’s daily driver now and is used to buy groceries since we’re pretty far from the nearest store.

When I sold the GFC and bought an AluCab Khaya camper it came with a National Luna dual zone fridge freezer. This thing was BOMBER and extremely efficient. Best fridge I’ve ever used but it was something like $1800 at retail…. Which is ridiculous. This fridge stayed with the camper when we sold it.

The new camper has an Isotherm fridge in it, its door style and to be honest my least favorite of those I’ve owned. It just doesn’t fit as much in it because of the way it opens. I’ll likely be running the ARB in the backseat of the truck to supplement the fridge in the camper on longer trips. I also really miss the dual zone of the National Luna as being able to carry frozen meat or veggies is awesome! Anyway just my thoughts!


View attachment 167873
The National Luna….

View attachment 167872
And the current Isotherm
Pheasant my ass.
 
Last edited:
In the 23 and up center consoles changed. The one listed by dometic doesn't fit according to them. I have a 99 liter fridge in the bed of the truck with a diamondback cover. When I have a quad or something else loaded on the cover the fridge can't be opened.

Traveling, I like to keep food cold and handy if I'm driving cross country. I use a cooler now, but I'd like a console fridge. If I'm keeping game or fish frozen in the large unit It'd be nice to have a small fridge for stuff I don't want frozen.
 
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdo...refrigerators/23-2301-230106-230106004-347530 They do make one. Although, I just can’t see the pros over just having a cooler in your pickup bed, plug in or not.
As mentioned this doesn’t work with 23’s and newer….

But, can you really not “see the pros over having a cooler in your pickup bed”?

The pro would be a cold drink by your right arm… lol, I’m not going to say having to pull over to get a cold bottle of water from your fridge isn’t a first world problem but come on…. You can’t see the pros to getting a drink while your driving? Not having to wait for a rest area or pull off? Lol. Perhaps I’m being too literal but I think a lot of people could get use out of a small fridge inside the cab that’s accessible while driving. Unless you don’t take long trips I guess. To each his own.
 
Last edited:
I have a 22 with a 7 PIN plug only in the bed. Are you using an adaptor to plug into that for power? Or have you run power into the bed some other way. Not counting solar.
This is the one I use.
 
Great timing with the trip to West Bend coming up. I assume that the 110 plug at the back of the console isn’t sufficient to run a cooler, so I would need to run power to the rear seat area. Well more research.
 
Great timing with the trip to West Bend coming up. I assume that the 110 plug at the back of the console isn’t sufficient to run a cooler, so I would need to run power to the rear seat area. Well more research.
Exactly! Hoping to have the group by completed to get everyone their coolers before the event!

The rocky in eco mode only draws about 45 watts I believe. I think the plug 🔌 on the console would easily power one of these coolers. They also provide a cigarette lighter adapter I believe. I need to confirm that though.
 
Got a poll up - please vote on your interest in a BougeRV Rocky portable fridge/freezer group buy discount!

 
Back
Top Bottom