I’m just going to keep updating this post as I progress:
Day 1:
The plate was warped or bent or the holes for the bolts not spaced with as much play as needed to get it in. Bolts did not clear, was not going to happen. I tired for an hour before finally attempting bolts through winch plate only, without attempting to mount it in place, then face palming….never was going to work, holes in plate too narrow.
Bought separate 10.9 bolts instead of the coupled ones. Two people with crowbars, jack, and drift got it. Now onwards to winch wiring.
The boxed nature of this plate (frame + cross member) seems very strong - but doesn’t leave many degrees of freedom for install if the plate is deflected or bent slightly.
Day 2:
Had to flip the bolts to the frame on drivers side. Winch would not clear them since I was planning on flipping the OEM bolts. Flipping worked but then the bumper mount and tow hook conflicted. Removing tow hook allowed winch to seat. Credit cards worth of clearance between bolts and winch and bumper/tow hook horn and winch. This puts the red cable on the motor about a finger diameter from the bumper mount. Concerning in an accident.I’m going to run a fuse block and isolation switch.
Sherpa does not come with a remote solenoid kit. Thought I was likely to need more cable to mount next to 2nd battery - I’m about 6” short (that’s what she said). So today I attempt to find cable on a Sunday in the middle of the desert. Napa has 2 gauge so using two 5.5’ lengths of that.
Good thing I opened the solenoid box, 1 nut was finger tight. Had to drill out the box to fit bigger cable. Nice box.
The mount holes for the winch are slotted - I don’t understand why. My concern here is the winch sliding on a side load to the drivers side. I’m hunted down bolts / washers with big enough heads now to insert as a spacer to prevent this. Winch manuals call for not slotting holes. In the end I may drill new holes to center the winch and prevent any concern here. Plenty of room to the passenger side for this. Recommend OP considers separate holes just 1-2” to passenger side of each existing slot for the Apex. This winch and free spool would be fine as would others. I’m a bit confused how the apex or any other winch is spooling back onto the drum evenly as positioned.
Day 3,4,5,6,7
Rewired the solenoid, wired the switch, and fuse block (500amp). Painted 16 gauge steel black as a mounting plate. Mounted beside drivers battery.
Put the bumper back on. Bumper is contacting the winch housing preventing bumper from rising back to stock location. I bet the same is true with badland winch.
Removed 2 of the bolts holding the air dam. They could contact a loose rope they are so close. I’d recommend everyone check that.
Day 8 will be adding terminal to the positive side of aux battery as it has none.
Thoughts:
1) a truly centered winch mount would work for this winch. No need for the off center. I’m concerned about how it’s going to wind onto the drum. The fairlead is 2” passenger of center from the center of the drum. I bet this is due to the obnoxious badlands spool leaver. Sherpa leaver is a normal small size….if I hadn’t had so much trouble getting the plate in I’d take it all apart and drill. Now that I know the tricks (bars and jack) I could redo it quick if spooling is going to be an issue.
2). If I clearance the bumper below the winch 1-1/2”, the bumper would probably be able to rise the final 1/4” to original position. This winch is narrower in nearly every dimension, so I imagine badlands is close here or contacting. So will any other winch.