HOT! Alternative to the Ford Performance Winch at less than half the cost???

Has anyone installed this on a 17-19? I know a couple people have posted the ford option installed but wondering if this kit would work? If so I’m definitely interested in doing it. Like everyone has said, $3k is hefty for a winch most won’t use that often.
 
Has anyone installed this on a 17-19? I know a couple people have posted the ford option installed but wondering if this kit would work? If so I’m definitely interested in doing it. Like everyone has said, $3k is hefty for a winch most won’t use that often.
We have not tried it yet, I'm sure the winch bracket will work as the frame horns are the same. The difference would be in the fairlead bracket for the bumper.
 
My understanding on the difference was something with the trans cooler lines. I’ll have to see if i can find the post and see what all they say. Is the fair lead on this kit the same as the factory kit?
 
So I have adaptive cruise control, am guess it won't work for me?
will the Ford performance one work with ACC?
Thank you
 
So I have adaptive cruise control, am guess it won't work for me?
will the Ford performance one work with ACC?
Thank you

You would have to relocate your adaptive cruise for this to work on your truck. I don't sell the relocation brackets but there's a hand full of vendors that have them for the 17+ superduty trucks. The ford performance kit has relocation brackets in their kit.
 
My understanding on the difference was something with the trans cooler lines. I’ll have to see if i can find the post and see what all they say. Is the fair lead on this kit the same as the factory kit?
If you have the extra trans cooler in the front frame rails that would have to be relocated.
 
Does that come on trucks that don’t have the 5th wheel prep? Guessing the trucks that don’t have the puck system don’t have the extra cooler then?

To be honest, I don't know what trucks have the Aux oil cooler.
 
I presume the Apex is mounted in a mirrored fashion in this case due to clearance issues? This puts the winch in a wind over instead of wind under install. Any thoughts as to what this could mean for reliability? Most winches have this in the manual:

I presume this is due to the torque on the mounting hardware (force x distance). If the mounting hardware is closer to the point of wind when you underwind, there is much less torque on the hardware. Does this mount account for that with the way it is clocked?
 

Attachments

  • 3A1C11E5-67D9-4997-BD6E-7680D2C93F89.webp
    3A1C11E5-67D9-4997-BD6E-7680D2C93F89.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I presume the Apex is mounted in a mirrored fashion in this case due to clearance issues? This puts the winch in a wind over instead of wind under install. Any thoughts as to what this could mean for reliability? Most winches have this in the manual:

I presume this is due to the torque on the mounting hardware (force x distance). If the mounting hardware is closer to the point of wind when you underwind, there is much less torque on the hardware. Does this mount account for that with the way it is clocked?

The Apex winch does not get re-wound, it's wound exactly like it is from the factory. All load ratings should be within spec of manufacture. The only thing we change is where the line comes out of the winch, rather than the side, the line is pulled from the top of the winch since it's installed at an angle in the frame. I'm sure it will make more sense when you see it all in play.

Here's a look at the underside of the winch kit.
 
Received the winch plate (it had excellent packaging given the situation).

Question for the OP / group: Why is the winch plate mounting holes offset to the side, appears to be driver side? The Apex winch is pretty much perfectly symmetrical at 7.2” exending from the drum on either side, yet the winch plate as designed is off to the side. I imagine this is very much on purpose for some reason - to reach the spool handle easier? Is something on the truck or bumper not clearing the winch? I cannot see anything in pictures and now on my own truck (just got the truck Tuesday).

Reason I ask is I’m looking at alternative winches. I know this has not been tested with this plate. I’m willing to be a test case here. The one I am looking at has smaller overall dimensions (L x W x H) and appears like it will fit - BUT I must not be accounting for something if the winch has to be off to the side. Appears it is designed to be off to the drivers side , maybe 1-2” ?

OP can you share why it was designed this way? I think it actually helps with the winch I’m looking at, I need that off set, but I just want to be sure I accounting for what I can because this winch is a Sherpa winch, so imported from Aus.

1648396617855.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Received the winch plate (it had excellent packaging given the situation).

Question for the OP / group: Why is the winch plate mounting holes offset to the side, appears to be driver side? The Apex winch is pretty much perfectly symmetrical at 7.2” exending from the drum on either side, yet the winch plate as designed is off to the side. I imagine this is very much on purpose for some reason - to reach the spool handle easier? Is something on the truck or bumper not clearing the winch? I cannot see anything in pictures and now on my own truck (just got the truck Tuesday).

Reason I ask is I’m looking at alternative winches. I know this has not been tested with this plate. I’m willing to be a test case here. The one I am looking at has smaller overall dimensions (L x W x H) and appears like it will fit - BUT I must not be accounting for something if the winch has to be off to the side. Appears it is designed to be off to the drivers side , maybe 1-2” ?

OP can you share why it was designed this way? I think it actually helps with the winch I’m looking at, I need that off set, but I just want to be sure I accounting for what I can because this winch is a Sherpa winch, so imported from Aus.

View attachment 49629

Offset drivers side so there is room to actuate the Freespool knob.
 
I presume the Apex is mounted in a mirrored fashion in this case due to clearance issues? This puts the winch in a wind over instead of wind under install. Any thoughts as to what this could mean for reliability? Most winches have this in the manual:

I presume this is due to the torque on the mounting hardware (force x distance). If the mounting hardware is closer to the point of wind when you underwind, there is much less torque on the hardware. Does this mount account for that with the way it is clocked?

For what its worth I suspect this has nothing to do with the winch mechanism itself but rather the mounting. In an underwind the distance between the tight rope (the force trying to rip the winch off the truck) and the mounting feet/bolts is shorter thus less leverage, if over winding the leverage is increased. In real life does it truly matter (IE is it still inside design safety margins)? Dunno. :)

As for the group buy, I can actually lower the cost via group buy. The Cutter will start discounts if I can guarantee at least 10 kits.

Was any effort ever put into this by anyone? Any idea what cost difference a 10kit GB would be?
 
For what its worth I suspect this has nothing to do with the winch mechanism itself but rather the mounting. In an underwind the distance between the tight rope (the force trying to rip the winch off the truck) and the mounting feet/bolts is shorter thus less leverage, if over winding the leverage is increased. In real life does it truly matter (IE is it still inside design safety margins)? Dunno.
Exactly. Now that I have one on hand I can say the mounting plate is very stout. That said the bolts in sheer was also my concern. All the winch manuals I have read say or suggest the same. That said the OEM ford is similar in over vs underwind but is not at an angle like this solution, so those bolts are not in as much sheer. I’ll be upgrading the bolts where I can.
 
Exactly. Now that I have one on hand I can say the mounting plate is very stout. That said the bolts in sheer was also my concern. All the winch manuals I have read say or suggest the same. That said the OEM ford is similar in over vs underwind but is not at an angle like this solution, so those bolts are not in as much sheer. I’ll be upgrading the bolts where I can.
Sheer should be the same whether over or under, it’s uplift forces that change. Under wind on a normal winch orientation would seem to plant the rear of the winch down to oppose the rope pull, overwind would try to lift the rear of the wince and put those bolts in tension. Whether the bolt strength or housing strength are a concern in practicality I can’t say. Just logically reviewing why they likely state that configuration.

The power wagon cradle I have on my ram mounts the winch so the bottom is facing forward, it pulls itself into the cradle and doesn’t rely on bolt strength really.
 
Sheer should be the same whether over or under, it’s uplift forces that change. Under wind on a normal winch orientation would seem to plant the rear of the winch down to oppose the rope pull, overwind would try to lift the rear of the wince and put those bolts in tension. Whether the bolt strength or housing strength are a concern in practicality I can’t say. Just logically reviewing why they likely state that configuration.

The power wagon cradle I have on my ram mounts the winch so the bottom is facing forward, it pulls itself into the cradle and doesn’t rely on bolt strength really.
I’m savvy on the power wagon mount. Probably ideal. That’s a 15k winch with a 12k sticker.
 
This showed up 1 week early. Australia to Singapore to Ohio to Salt Lake.

Looks like it’s going to fit. Bolted down loosely here. Clearance on the motor side was going to be tight but measurements showed about 1cm of clearance. That’s about true.

This is the only 17,000lb winch I could find that would fit this footprint. Most are mounted like a 16.5ti or Superwinch but the 28m drum Sherpa is same form factor as the 12k winches. Guess I have a weekend project now. Free spool and I believe the motor can be clocked on this as needed. Came with 12.9 hardware.

Brake is not internal to the drums, so rope should not get heated up like other designs.

Ill’ll keep y’all posted.
 

Attachments

  • 8497BA6A-991A-4C80-AA10-D9EA0981F76F.webp
    8497BA6A-991A-4C80-AA10-D9EA0981F76F.webp
    153.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 5D37594A-D6B4-44EF-B20C-FE3C0E945D6C.webp
    5D37594A-D6B4-44EF-B20C-FE3C0E945D6C.webp
    68.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom