2027 7.3 water cooled manifolds?

That is a lot of engineering for a small amount of heat transfer. My 7.3 warms up enough in 4 miles on the winter I’m backing the temperature down to 72 for max heat.
It is a lot less engineering than GMs "supervalve" solution.

Look it up, it's even dumber than their cylinder deactivation system, and has been Killin baby Duramaxs for years now.

Now standard in the all new 5.7 and 6.6 flagship 2v pushrod v8.

What could possibly go wrong? :ROFLMAO:
 
Last edited:
That is a lot of engineering for a small amount of heat transfer. My 7.3 warms up enough in 4 miles on the winter I’m backing the temperature down to 72 for max heat.
I replied twice to also mention that cold engines run rich. They have to.

The 4 minutes a day worth of over rich "open loop" mode (if it's still called that) they save goes a long way towards balancing out vehicles like svt.. raptor, darkorse etc and insures they can exist in an ever more stringent emissions environment.

I'm happy with the electric heater and steering wheel in my diesel, and I'm all but certain my turbo water jacket also does this as a secondary purpose, and is likely the test bed we didn't know existed.

You don't hear issues with the diesel leaking from the manifolds jacket, but that jacket is located in the valley in the scorpion, not the underside of the heads.

The 2 extra rubber hoses are an additional maitenance item for sure.. but i don't see anything jumping out as a potential big problem.



I'm nerding out...

Somebody take my phone. :ROFLMAO:
 
I see it as manifolds on every other v8 truck I have had required replacement somewhat often due to cracks. This complicates that.

Now as to why they do it, I can see the benefits in getting up to temp faster for emissions and that does seem logical just hoping in the real world it's not a pain.

Would have been cool if Ford gave us a heads up on this. Seems like they must have changed a few things on this engine hopefully for the better.
 
What’s the big deal? Just drive it and properly maintain the truck and I’m sure you will be fine. The vast majority of these engines are problem free. You only hear about the negatives on forums. Plenty of fleets run the 7.3 gas and plenty of fleets ordered 2027 trucks… the world is not ending.
Oh no doubt. I did plenty of reading prior to buying and I read the issues on the 7.3 . I know very few people have issues. The issue is that it was a simpler engine before and that was a plus. This may be fine, it may not be. Time will tell but I would have like to know more about it first.
 
Can we please stop calling them "manifolds" and start saying "womanfolds"!? We need to be more inclusive and be respectful of the other gender! Thank you!
 
womanfolds

Now that's a picture. :geek:











Seriously, though...

This has become an interesting thread!



I see it as manifolds on every other v8 truck I have had required replacement somewhat often due to cracks


From the perspective of your northern clime, yes. We don't see much of that happening down south, though.

Over the years of casual observation the deterioration I've seen on cast iron exhaust seems to be when the vehicle in question may have been sitting in below-freezing temps, fired up and run with a purpose. Repeatedly. The thermal shock over time to the cast iron causes crystallization.

It's like if heating a cast iron pan or pot on a high gas flame w/ no food or sauce or water in it vs. a pot w/ any liquid in it.

I know that here, though, protection of the manifold itself wasn't the goal. Emissions are the priority, efficiency a close second. It's just weird to see screw-in freeze plugs in exhaust manifolds.
 
Last edited:
Spot on with your observations. Truck gets cold started and run for a short period of time (gentle) and then shut off. Other times, it get started and warmed up and then runs hard with a heavy trailer which gets things hot. This is bound to warp and crack the manifolds. I am curious to see how these hold up and hopefully it does reduce the thermal shock some.

On a different note, I have been debating a block heater simply for quicker coolant heating and vent heat.
 
Can we please stop calling them "manifolds" and start saying "womanfolds"!? We need to be more inclusive and be respectful of the other gender! Thank you!
You guys got it all wrong, for 2027+ these are wet manifolds, so get with the program... Its "WetWomenFolds".
 
Back
Top Bottom