Water Intrusion to Fuse Box - Whiteface Ford

Our design will address all of these challenges and more...stay tuned!
@trmrzla Are you guys working on anything for the other side as well? I took a quick look at it today out of curiosity. While there isn’t a fuse box over there, there are still several very large electrical connections sitting in that same area.

Seems like a mirrored version for the other side might be worth considering. If for nothing other than my OCD ...

I’ll stay tuned. Open Trail Creations has served me well in the past, so I have a feeling whatever you guys are cooking up will be a solid solution.
 
Our design will address all of these challenges and more...stay tuned!
giphy.gif
 
I installed the OCD Gutter system today. My initial thought is that this will probably serve as a temporary solution until someone comes up with a better design that incorporates a drain tube. Looking at you, FirstFunctionDesign 👀

My first attempt at installing the gutter resulted in a crack running all the way down the left side. I didn’t feel like I was Incredible Hulking it into place, but apparently I was too rough with it. I was still able to get it installed, and I think it’ll be fine as a temporary solution. I do not have a 3D printer nor do I know the type of material that should be used under the hood. I will say the "OCD Plug" does not feel very sturdy and I would not expect it to last the life of the truck.

I do think it will help channel water away from the fuse box cover, but ultimately I’d like something wider that captures more of the runoff coming from above. This one feels like it was designed to be as compact as possible, presumably to minimize the amount of material used.

Here are a few photos:

View attachment 273878
Just by looking at the OCD and the one I received from FFD, I can state with certainty that the FFD unit is a far superior design and very sturdy.

F250 Water Deflector2.webp
 
Just by looking at the OCD and the one I received from FFD, I can state with certainty that the FFD unit is a far superior design and very sturdy.

View attachment 273895
Agreed. I was just not as fast as you guys! Some of us have to take a hit to make you all feel better about your purchases. :LOL:
 
I will also say this now that I have seen the FFD unit and have it installed. I, personally, do not think that a hose connection is necessary or required. OCD had a good thought, but the design and execution is horrible. The way the FFD unit is designed, it will channel the water far away from the fuse box without the need for a hose. It's very easy to "over-design" and complicate things and it sounds to me that several of you designing your own version may be doing just that. The hose sounds like a "good" idea. However, I don't feel it's necessary at all for this to function 100% as it should and channel water away from the fuse box. It appears everyone is trying to out do each others designs looking for the "perfect" solution. The solution is to channel water away with a strong, well made and designed deflector. @FunctionFirstDesign did exactly that IMPO.
 
Last edited:
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I’m sorry to hear that the OCD product didn’t live up to expectations for you. I’d love to know what material they’re using. Print and layer line orientation could be better I think to avoid the crack like you experienced.
 
I will also say this now that I have seen the FFD unit and have it installed. I, personally, do not think that a hose connection is necessary or required. OCD had a good thought, but the design and execution is horrible. The way the FFD unit is designed, it will channel the water far away from the fuse box without the need for a hose. It's very easy to "over-design" and complicate things and it sounds to me that several of you designing your own version may be doing just that. The hose sounds like a "good" idea. However, I don't feel it's necessary at all for this to function 100% as it should and channel water away from the fuse box. It appears everyone is trying to out do each others designs looking for the "perfect" solution. The solution is to channel water away with a strong, well made and designed deflector. @FunctionFirstDesign did exactly that IMPO.


Someone else in this thread (I can't recall whom) mentioned the dynamics of water being blown back and up into the lip of the top of the fusebox while the truck is underway during wet weather, so, there's that to consider too.

speeddev was going to do something about that to his truck but w/ a foam girdle serving as a gasket for the instance described.
 
v2 ideas and prototyping. Changes include the addition of a spout and 1/2” high-temp hose routed well below the fuse box. Provision for a supplied thumbscrew or star knob for those with serious offroad/vibration concerns. Additional trim piece that creates a dam that drains into the deflector. Would love to hear some thoughts on this route.
IMG_4831.webp

IMG_4829.webp

IMG_4832.webp


 
Back
Top Bottom