Truck Campers Only, w/ an Overland & Off-roading theme

I guess I need to look here more often. Catching up a little ....

I modified a Little Giant 4 step ladder for my flatbed. Here's a pic from a trip while I was still waiting on the camper, but you get the idea. Seems to work pretty well except the first step up is a little high. Wish they made a 5 step version. It stores flat in the big drawer that pulls out the rear of the flatbed. Quick on / off with some brackets I made that bolt to the l-track on the side of the flatbed.

View attachment 135376

Sheel-Mann! I already really miss those seats from my van. For me, they were a game changer. The stock seats in the truck aren't bad, but nothing compared to the Sheel-Mann seats. Maybe some day I'll put some in the truck.

View attachment 135377
Nice!!! Yea with a rig like that you should definitely visit more often! That was the idea behind this thread. Seems like the type of people who do this with their vehicles are very similar no matter where they are. And it’s very helpful to share great ideas and work through problems together. I do think those Scheel-Mann seats are the absolute best seats going. Doing my first long trip in the truck this weekend and I’ll get a few for the seats. Hahaha. Hell the truck doesn’t even have 500 miles on it yet and I bought it in July.

Side note, took off the tailgate yesterday in preparation for the ST install a week from today. First off. Holy hell, FIVE different plugs to unplug????? For a tailgate????? Secondly that’s gotta be the lightest tailgate I’ve ever seen!!!! It weighs a third of what I would have guessed!

So this is what I’ve decided on…. At least for the moment. Easy Hitch Step 3-Step adjustable needed a 2.5” to 2” sleeve for the hitch and a locking anti rattle hitch pin.
IMG_0535.jpeg

Down the lowest step (as I have it set) is at 19” second step is 27” and the third step is 34”. I estimate the final step into the Supertramp is 49-ish inches. We carry a small portable step along with us so that can go on the ground when a real camp is set up. That is about 10” so it makes the first step quite manageable. My wife is only about 5’3” and had no trouble with the first step, at least in the garage as is. This unit can also be adjusted way down if needed or even a little higher up. i just took at guess at a good place to start.
IMG_0537.jpeg

Folded up its WAY out of the way though obviously real Offroad stuff it totally wrecks the departure angle. But let’s be real this is a 22ft long 10,000 lb behemoth. If I wanted to rock crawl I’d be driving a Bronco.

FWIW, the customer service from this company was AMAZING. Owner answered email questions on Sunday and provided me with a tracking number that day, ordered Sunday delivered to NY from SC by Wed. That’s pretty great!! And the quality of the steps are flawless.

Last edited:
So this is what I’ve decided on…. At least for the moment. Easy Hitch Step 3-Step adjustable needed a 2.5” to 2” sleeve for the hitch and a locking anti rattle hitch pin.
View attachment 135422
Down the lowest step (as I have it set) is at 19” second step is 27” and the third step is 34”. I estimate the final step into the Supertramp is 49-ish inches. We carry a small portable step along with us so that can go on the ground when a real camp is set up. That is about 10” so it makes the first step quite manageable. My wife is only about 5’3” and had no trouble with the first step, at least in the garage as is. This unit can also be adjusted way down if needed or even a little higher up. i just took at guess at a good place to start.
View attachment 135423
Folded up its WAY out of the way though obviously real Offroad stuff it totally wrecks the departure angle. But let’s be real this is a 22ft long 11,000 lb behemoth. If I wanted to rock crawl I’d be driving a Bronco.

FWIW, the customer service from this company was AMAZING. Owner answered email questions on Sunday and provided me with a tracking number that day, ordered Sunday delivered to NY from SC by Wed. That’s pretty great!! And the quality of the steps are flawless.
Well, there you go! 👍

Also, how much?

Well, there you go! 👍

Also, how much?
Yeah…. So here’s my reasoning. I really liked the ladder idea but i want to be able to “stealth camp” at a rest stop or wherever with the camper top down and with just a string attached this little stair set folds right back up. Also we tend to do a lot of festivals and Expo’s and I’d hate to lose my ladder to less than honest people. One other concern is we tend to park in a spot (like a national park) and use the camper as a home base so the small steps seemed like they’d fit better in a parking spot, especially if I can back into a spot against a curb, which is 100% my preferred method of parking anyway. Finally I just couldn’t see losing the space to carry a ladder. Seemed like it would be a little annoying if we had a quick stop for lunch or wherever. Anyway these are just the reasons I justified in my own head, I’m sure others feel completely different. I’m also not sure this will be my forever solution because until I really use it it’s impossible to know.

Now cost…. It was $459 delivered and I imagine at least $100 of that was shipping and packaging since it’s all metal, quite heavy and it was packed really well. So basically ridiculously expensive and way more than I wanted to spend but in comparison to the little giant ladder it’s also not really that much more. Was it worth it? Time will tell, I will say there is no way it could be more well made.

Last edited:
Yeah…. So here’s my reasoning. I really liked the ladder idea but i want to be able to “stealth camp” at a rest stop or wherever with the camper top down and with just a string attached this little stair set folds right back up. Also we tend to do a lot of festivals and Expo’s and I’d hate to lose my ladder to less than honest people. One other concern is we tend to park in a spot (like a national park) and use the camper as a home base so the small steps seemed like they’d fit better in a parking spot, especially if I can back into a spot against a curb, which is 100% my preferred method of parking anyway. Finally I just couldn’t see losing the space to carry a ladder. Seemed like it would be a little annoying if we had a quick stop for lunch or wherever. Anyway these are just the reasons I justified in my own head, I’m sure others feel completely different. I’m also not sure this will be my forever solution because until I really use it it’s impossible to know.

Now cost…. It was $489 delivered and I imagine at least $100 of that was shipping and packaging since it’s all metal, quite heavy and it was packed really well. So basically ridiculously expensive and way more than I wanted to spend but in comparison to the little giant ladder it’s also not really that much more. Was it worth it? Time will tell, I will say there is no way it could be more well made.
Where in SC? That's where I live, I could probably just pick one up on one of my out-of-town jobs and save $100 😎

Where in SC? That's where I live, I could probably just pick one up on one of my out-of-town jobs and save $100 😎
Fair Play SC…. Idk anything about SC, and PLEASE don’t quote me on it being $100 cheaper without shipping since it was just sold at a price of $459 to my door, I can imagine if he skips packaging and shipping he’d save a good buck though so it can’t hurt to ask! Boxing up alone with the spray foam and what not could not have been cheap or easy. It is a nice product from a family business so I’m happy to support them!

Last edited:
I guess I need to look here more often. Catching up a little ....

I modified a Little Giant 4 step ladder for my flatbed. Here's a pic from a trip while I was still waiting on the camper, but you get the idea. Seems to work pretty well except the first step up is a little high. Wish they made a 5 step version. It stores flat in the big drawer that pulls out the rear of the flatbed. Quick on / off with some brackets I made that bolt to the l-track on the side of the flatbed.

View attachment 135376

Sheel-Mann! I already really miss those seats from my van. For me, they were a game changer. The stock seats in the truck aren't bad, but nothing compared to the Sheel-Mann seats. Maybe some day I'll put some in the truck.

View attachment 135377
Those Bowen beds😍😍😍!

Well, shit. Took the truck for a drive today to make sure everything was working for our trip to CO and as it turns out when you remove the tailgate, and plug in the 3 blanks plus the big connector between then two larger plugs…. Nothing fucking works hhaha. All the cameras are blue and not a single one works. Apparently this is a known problem that came up on the 23’s. Not sure what all those plugs and that jumper are for since with it all installed it doesn’t work one bit.

Common solution seems to be to hook up a replacement camera in its place than everything goes back to normal. Guess we will see soon enough since I ordered the Camper with a camera.

The drive out is gonna kind of suck now,
Backing into spots without a camera with a big set of stairs hanging off the back is going to be an added challenge.

View attachment 135422
View attachment 135423
Folded up its WAY out of the way though obviously real Offroad stuff it totally wrecks the departure angle. But let’s be real this is a 22ft long 10,000 lb behemoth. If I wanted to rock crawl I’d be driving a Bronco.

Thanks for the details. Been stewing over these for some time. Nothing I have has been optimal. Sort of think I like the steps to be solid to the camper and independent of the ground, like this one.

Thanks for the details. Been stewing over these for some time. Nothing I have has been optimal. Sort of think I like the steps to be solid to the camper and independent of the ground, like this one.
You’re welcome! Wait another week and I’ll let you know my impressions with the camper installed. I will definitely say they are solid and you don’t need to worry about slipping on them.

Took the truck down to Baja Mexico with a few other camper rigs (F350 6.7 Tremor-F250 6.7 FX4-Tacomas-Jeep-Tundra-Ram Power Wagons-Nissan Titan Diesel and a F150) for a on and off road tour.

The Tremor handled the rough trails and sandy washes just fine. The 4x4 system and front limited slip worked great. Aired down to 30psi when needed. Total weight of camper and all gear was 1900lbs: 40gallons h20- 4 gallons spare diesel fuel- food for 12 days- fishing and recovery gear ... .
We stayed mostly along the Sea Of Cortez where we fished and enjoyed the warm ocean and air temps. We off-roaded from the Cortez side across Baja to get to the Pacific side by way of connecting numerous dirt trails. Summer storm Hurricane Hillary inflicted lots of trail damage with many wash outs and deep drop offs which made finding the routes tough in a few spots but I think that only added to the fun of the adventure. Overall we spent 3 very long days on trails to cut across the Baja peninsula stopping at a very secluded old mission along the way.

Fuel was plentiful. Diesel was available at most stations; Pemex and some new Arco stations.

Border crossings and military check points were easy. The officers were more interested in checking out our rigs than they were to really search us all.

Beach camping spots were plentiful with great views and fishing.

The locals and roadside eateries were great.

000 baja beach camp 1148.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1145.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1143.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1138.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1137.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1127.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1126.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1121.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1120.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1112.jpg
000000baja mission.jpg

000 baja beach camp 1122.jpg
000 baja beach camp 1119.jpg

Can't wait to return!

Attachments

• 000 baja beach camp 1148.jpg
    000 baja beach camp 1148.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 000 baja beach camp 111.jpg
    000 baja beach camp 111.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 000 baja beach camp 1118.jpg
    000 baja beach camp 1118.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 11
Took the truck down to Baja Mexico with a few other camper rigs (F350 6.7 Tremor-F250 6.7 FX4-Tacomas-Jeep-Tundra-Ram Power Wagons-Nissan Titan Diesel and a F150) for a on and off road tour.

The Tremor handled the rough trails and sandy washes just fine. The 4x4 system and front limited slip worked great. Aired down to 30psi when needed. Total weight of camper and all gear was 1900lbs: 40gallons h20- 4 gallons spare diesel fuel- food for 12 days- fishing and recovery gear ... .
We stayed mostly along the Sea Of Cortez where we fished and enjoyed the warm ocean and air temps. We off-roaded from the Cortez side across Baja to get to the Pacific side by way of connecting numerous dirt trails. Summer storm Hurricane Hillary inflicted lots of trail damage with many wash outs and deep drop offs which made finding the routes tough in a few spots but I think that only added to the fun of the adventure. Overall we spent 3 very long days on trails to cut across the Baja peninsula stopping at a very secluded old mission along the way.

Fuel was plentiful. Diesel was available at most stations; Pemex and some new Arco stations.

Border crossings and military check points were easy. The officers were more interested in checking out our rigs than they were to really search us all.

Beach camping spots were plentiful with great views and fishing.

The locals and roadside eateries were great.

View attachment 135635View attachment 135636View attachment 135637View attachment 135638View attachment 135639View attachment 135640View attachment 135641View attachment 135642View attachment 135643View attachment 135645View attachment 135647
View attachment 135663View attachment 135664
Can't wait to return!
Looks amazing. So cool you got that many rigs together for the trip!!

That trip completely embodies the idea behind this thread. That’s what truck campers are all about!!

Last edited:
Well, shit. Took the truck for a drive today to make sure everything was working for our trip to CO and as it turns out when you remove the tailgate, and plug in the 3 blanks plus the big connector between then two larger plugs…. Nothing fucking works hhaha. All the cameras are blue and not a single one works. Apparently this is a known problem that came up on the 23’s. Not sure what all those plugs and that jumper are for since with it all installed it doesn’t work one bit.

Common solution seems to be to hook up a replacement camera in its place than everything goes back to normal. Guess we will see soon enough since I ordered the Camper with a camera.

The drive out is gonna kind of suck now,
Backing into spots without a camera with a big set of stairs hanging off the back is going to be an added challenge.
That sucks! My 22 doesn’t have that problem. I did add a rear camera for backing up, but it’s pretty low quality.

That sucks! My 22 doesn’t have that problem. I did add a rear camera for backing up, but it’s pretty low quality.
Yeah according to the all knowing Google it’s a problem with the 23’s and up. Supposedly when the camper camera is hooked back up it should be fixed. My truck does have the 360 cameras so that might add to the complexity

Yeah according to the all knowing Google it’s a problem with the 23’s and up. Supposedly when the camper camera is hooked back up it should be fixed. My truck does have the 360 cameras so that might add to the complexity

I did not order the camera option on our Supertramp. I planned to order aftermarket and install one myself. So that will resolve the issue, but didn't plan to do that until getting home with the camper. Maybe Ford will determine a fix for the issue with the blanks to allow rest of cameras to work before our March camper pickup. If that is the worst of the issues with the new pickup, I'll consider myself lucky! Ha.
Now I'll go ahead and experiment with unplugging the tailgate connections (when the truck comes in), so I know what I'm dealing with before removing the tailgate in March.

I did not order the camera option on our Supertramp. I planned to order aftermarket and install one myself. So that will resolve the issue, but didn't plan to do that until getting home with the camper. Maybe Ford will determine a fix for the issue with the blanks to allow rest of cameras to work before our March camper pickup. If that is the worst of the issues with the new pickup, I'll consider myself lucky! Ha.
Now I'll go ahead and experiment with unplugging the tailgate connections (when the truck comes in), so I know what I'm dealing with before removing the tailgate in March.
Yeah, I’ll be interested to see if the camera option is worth $1000. I’ll get you some good details and pics of how it’s wired and routed if you want to copy it. It seems like they have massively upgraded since the original bolt on installs and according to Kelsey this should fully integrate with the factory Ford 360 cameras. Guess we will see!

Since we are on the topic of cameras, I purchased a Rostra rear camera relocation kit (P/N 250-8661) for my 2022 F250 Tremor Lariat with a flatbed and discovered it is intended ONLY for trucks with 360 deg camera setup. Mine does not have that, it is not compatible, and I'm not motivated enough on this project to modify it to work for me. This is only compatible for 2017-2022 Super Duty trucks (which of course conflicts with the sticker on the box that says '19+) with 360 deg camera setup according to their website. Paid $170 for it. It's new in the box. Make me an offer if you'd like it. A bottle of Código 1530 Reposado (it's my favorite and I would thank you every time I take a drink of it during my upcoming Mexico trip) would be a great offer! :cool: Would rather see it go to use other than being a paper weight on my desk. Thanks

383525619_6719931578042602_6469290762058364323_n.jpeg

383351710_6978520382205895_5875859987291897820_n.jpeg

920aff7bed205b159f9f4f32fb21af270f070b3f.jpeg

Since we are on the topic of cameras, I purchased a Rostra rear camera relocation kit (P/N 250-8661) for my 2022 F250 Tremor Lariat with a flatbed and discovered it is intended ONLY for trucks with 360 deg camera setup. Mine does not have that, it is not compatible, and I'm not motivated enough on this project to modify it to work for me. This is only compatible for 2017-2022 Super Duty trucks (which of course conflicts with the sticker on the box that says '19+) with 360 deg camera setup according to their website. Paid $170 for it. It's new in the box. Make me an offer if you'd like it. A bottle of Código 1530 Reposado (it's my favorite and I would thank you every time I take a drink of it during my upcoming Mexico trip) would be a great offer! :cool: Would rather see it go to use other than being a paper weight on my desk. Thanks

View attachment 135748

View attachment 135749

View attachment 135750
Good luck selling/trading it! I’m sure there are plenty of people with 22’s that want to remove a tailgate and replace the camera. Truck camper thread is definitely the spot to look. Hope it works out!!!

Back