Tremors Towing Things

IMG_5838.webp
 
Ready to leave for our second camping trip for a week in the Mt. Baker, WA area with a 2024 F-250 Platinum 7.3L gas Tremor (fStar White metallic tri-coat), towing a 2024 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RKS Titanium trailer. The truck has plenty of power going up mountains, but not sure the Tremor package is the best choice for towing stability. The Equal-i-zer sway control hitch (2.5" shank and 12,000# spring arms) has been tweaked 3 times, tire pressures are all right on, but the trailer still tends to be twitchy even on good roads. I've towed trailers before, but have used 40' diesel pusher motorhomes for the past 26 years. I'll keep tweaking a few things on the next trips to see if it gets better.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning stopped working on our return trip from Mt. Baker on 08/10, with not a very impressive response from Ford so far, given the widespread issues with trucks built in February-June of 2024. Dealer says only the TXV is bad, but they're backordered. I showed them a spreadsheet from another forum showing all the low-mileage A/C failures on Super Duty trucks and what was done to repair them. All had the compressor replaced, plus other parts that were contaminated by the metal particles shed by the compressor. Ford hasn't issued any TSB or new diagnostic guidance on this problem so far, so the dealer says it can only replace the TXV and see if that fixes it.
 

Attachments

  • Second Camping Trip to Mt Baker.webp
    Second Camping Trip to Mt Baker.webp
    384.2 KB · Views: 70
Ready to leave for our second camping trip for a week in the Mt. Baker, WA area with a 2024 F-250 Platinum 7.3L gas Tremor (fStar White metallic tri-coat), towing a 2024 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RKS Titanium trailer. The truck has plenty of power going up mountains, but not sure the Tremor package is the best choice for towing stability. The Equal-i-zer sway control hitch (2.5" shank and 12,000# spring arms) has been tweaked 3 times, tire pressures are all right on, but the trailer still tends to be twitchy even on good roads. I've towed trailers before, but have used 40' diesel pusher motorhomes for the past 26 years. I'll keep tweaking a few things on the next trips to see if it gets better.

Unfortunately, the air conditioning stopped working on our return trip from Mt. Baker on 08/10, with not a very impressive response from Ford so far, given the widespread issues with trucks built in February-June of 2024. Dealer says only the TXV is bad, but they're backordered. I showed them a spreadsheet from another forum showing all the low-mileage A/C failures on Super Duty trucks and what was done to repair them. All had the compressor replaced, plus other parts that were contaminated by the metal particles shed by the compressor. Ford hasn't issued any TSB or new diagnostic guidance on this problem so far, so the dealer says it can only replace the TXV and see if that fixes it.
I have the exact truck as you other than color. I'm hauling a 5th wheel around and haven't noticed any issues with the trailer not staying put. I was debating on doing the hellwig rear sway bar but I haven't had the need yet. You could probably look into that? 🤷 Might help you out.
 
The truck has plenty of power going up mountains, but not sure the Tremor package is the best choice for towing stability.
Welcome @Sahlbo !

A few things really impacted my towing experience. For reference I am towing a Winnebago Voyage 2831 (7500lb dry, ~8500lb towing, ~1200lb tongue).

The first was ensuring enough weight was returned to the front of the vehicle. No magic here - just measure the front wheel gap using the guidelines provided in the Ford Towing guide. Initially my setup was a bit under distributed. I have the WeighSafe hitch so it's easy to dial in a bit more distributed weight. I was within the range they recommend but on the low side so I went to the high side of the range. This had a noticeable impact which makes sense to me. If the front of the vehicle is not tracking and steering as it should it will inevitably translate thru the rear and into the trailer.

Second was adding Timbrens to the rear of the Tremor. This essentially adds spring rate and reduces the squat when loaded. Many ways to accomplish this - Timbrens, RAS, Sumo, airbags, spring pack, etc. I went with the Timbrens first since it was a simple and cost effective method to see if it helped. I think it took all of 20-30min in my driveway - didn't even have to jack up the truck. This has really impacted the stability in a positive way. The trailer settles quicker over bumps, RR tracks, joints, etc. and feels a bit more controlled.

Between the two I've noticed less impact from semi's, wind, etc. Not a night and day difference, but definitely noticeable and has made for a more enjoyable towing experience.

Hope this helps...
 
I completed my first tow. Only 150km. Towed well. One thing I noticed, my Curt A25 adjusted all the way up only gives me about 5 - 6 inches clearance on the rails. I am used to about 8 inches on my Duramax. The trailer was empty when I took this picture.

IMG_1113.webp
 
I completed my first tow. Only 150km. Towed well. One thing I noticed, my Curt A25 adjusted all the way up only gives me about 5 - 6 inches clearance on the rails. I am used to about 8 inches on my Duramax. The trailer was empty when I took this picture.

View attachment 167464
I have about the same rail clearance on my 36' ATC - 6" - 7" and so far clearance has been no issue.

St Anthony.webp
+/- - 10k of towing an no issues.
 
If only it was a Mastercraft! Haha. Just joking, great looking rig(s)!
I just got a quote on a well equipped 2024 XT24 that's pretty good. We demoed one in 2022 after we took delivery of our Malibu 25LSV based on my poor dealer experience. Our Mastercraft dealer is fantastic and we really liked the XT24. Thought it was loud in comparison to our boat but that was before they put underwater exhaust in the XT line and they now have my attention. It's a great boat.
 
did some riding down at Ocala. Bit of an overkill for the trailer lol. I typically tow this with our jeep but thought it was a good opportunity to break in the new truck doing a 2000 mile loop.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7437.webp
    IMG_7437.webp
    494.2 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom