Tremor & Four Wheel Camper

IMG_5063.jpeg

I ended up with a Hawk Shell that is 950lbs empty, and I added a 50lb fridge. I also have the carli Full HD Leaf springs which is supposed to reduce payload 15%. They say they're good for 1000-1500lb constant payload.

Not to hijack this thread ,but after seeing these camper pics and how good they look on this truck I came across this tonight : not mine!

^ They used to do a walk-through but somehow can't figure out even a pass-through window without it leaking anymore. I asked for one and they said they had problems with the previous year model leaking so they just took off the option altogether ?‍♂️ ?

How is everyone storing their fwc? I don’t want it on the truck full time. And have been thinking about buying a harbor freight trailer to put it on to park It in my garage or cover it in the drive way.

How is everyone storing their fwc? I don’t want it on the truck full time. And have been thinking about buying a harbor freight trailer to put it on to park It in my garage or cover it in the drive way.

The Four Wheel Campers Owners FB group has lots of posts on this topic. It looks like a lot of people build their own with casters and wood from Home Depot or whatever. I personally wouldn't trust any load bearing item from harbor freight after that jack stand recall. It seems like one of the biggest issues is that when you take your camper off with the FWC jacks, you can't get inside it because you could damage the floor because it's not designed to support a person's weight.

Mine is on the truck full time because I don't have a garage. I wish I did to protect my FWC from the elements when not in use.

I took it off for cleaning this last weekend and it would take the whole driveway so ended up putting it back on until I find a better way to store it. Good point about the floor getting damaged when standing on jacks, will be more careful next time.

Any good solutions for preserving the batteries? I was talking to other FWC owners and they mentioned the 10 gauge cable that FWC runs from engine bay to charge house batteries is not good enough and do a poor job of keeping batteries charged. I have a battery charger/maintainer so I'm thinking about taking batteries off into the garage and leave them connected to the charger until my next trip.

Couple of photos from a trip to Leavitt Lake a couple of weeks ago, really nice place to camp.

1013201821.jpeg

IMG_9378.jpeg

Rolando

The Four Wheel Campers Owners FB group has lots of posts on this topic. It looks like a lot of people build their own with casters and wood from Home Depot or whatever. I personally wouldn't trust any load bearing item from harbor freight after that jack stand recall. It seems like one of the biggest issues is that when you take your camper off with the FWC jacks, you can't get inside it because you could damage the floor because it's not designed to support a person's weight.

Mine is on the truck full time because I don't have a garage. I wish I did to protect my FWC from the elements when not in use.

A pair of two foot tall Xs can be built to rest the camper floor on so the camper can be entered when camper is off the truck.

I ended up buying a Harbor Freight trailer. I’ll build the deck in the next week or two and post pictures. The idea is to put the camper on the trailer and use the trailer just as a platform for storage only. Moving it by hand into its final parking spot on my property. TBD whether this is a good idea.

Hi all! New member here looking for some answers regarding the FWC. Did any of you have to add wood spacers underneath the camper bottom to clear the cab? I pulled a couple measurements and it seems like it’s going to be super close to contacting the roof. On my old truck (ram 1500) I had to add 1” plywood to clear the bed rails. Any info would be super helpful so when I go to install this weekend I’ll be prepared! Also, those that had the manufacture install the camper, did they add large washers or plates to keep the eyebolts from pulling through the bed? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all! New member here looking for some answers regarding the FWC. Did any of you have to add wood spacers underneath the camper bottom to clear the cab? I pulled a couple measurements and it seems like it’s going to be super close to contacting the roof. On my old truck (ram 1500) I had to add 1” plywood to clear the bed rails. Any info would be super helpful so when I go to install this weekend I’ll be prepared! Ask, this that had the manufacture install the camper, did they add large washers or plates to keep the eyebolts from pulling through the bed? Thanks.

It's pretty close to my moon roof! I kinda want to add a horse mat. But so far it works pretty well. Just been too lazy to take it off again. I just sort of dread a big bump maybe pushing the front lip of the camper into the moon roof.

Here's how the FWC dealer installed the eyebolts.

120117711_329006518379650_3350639579731552657_n.jpg 119952327_2802250376687648_197706253325471469_n.jpg120039583_565121810869663_1007054690305672149_n.jpg120182453_811439122993454_8835334490141556003_n.jpg

It's pretty close to my moon roof! I kinda want to add a horse mat. But so far it works pretty well. Just been too lazy to take it off again. I just sort of dread a big bump maybe pushing the front lip of the camper into the moon roof.

Here's how the FWC dealer installed the eyebolts.

View attachment 8369 View attachment 8370View attachment 8371View attachment 8372
That you very much for the photos! I also have seen videos of truck cabs flexing substantially and worry about contact of the roof and camper.

I have had my FWC Hawk on my Tremor since March. It was originally on a Tundra. The clearance does depend on what the camper was originally built for. FWC adds material based for the vehicle it was originally ordered for. My FWC Hawk was built for a Tundra. When I moved it to my Tremor it fit perfectly. It's close but I like the look and have had no issues. Like other have said, I stall mat would be the move if you needed to add some space.

I have had my FWC Hawk on my Tremor since March. It was originally on a Tundra. The clearance does depend on what the camper was originally built for. FWC adds material based for the vehicle it was originally ordered for. My FWC Hawk was built for a Tundra. When I moved it to my Tremor it fit perfectly. It's close but I like the look and have had no issues. Like other have said, I stall mat would be the move if you needed to add some space.

I appreciate it. My Hawk was also on a Tundra when I bought it used, but it had pressure treated 2x4s screwed into the bottom and it was pretty janky. I removed those and would just lay a 1” sheet of plywood under the camper for the old Ram. The OEM four wheel camper floor pack has some small (can’t recall on the top of my head) ply wood strips built into the bottom. Is that all your running? I want to say that are 1/2” thick.

I think they are bit more than 1/2 thick. Maybe 3/4. I would just start to load it and keep an eye as you lower it. If it's getting too close for comfort, jack it back up and drive to your nearest feed store and buy a stall mat. They are 3/4" thick. You can get them in a 4x6 size. Better than plywood and will absorb some of the bumps and vibration. Also, do you have spray in bed liner?

I’ve owned two FWCs since 2016. A Hawk Shell and a Hawk front dinette. Storage is an issue. I use mine a lot for long hunting trips and that often involves a lot of gear. My current truck is a 2011 Tundra double cab. For extra storage I remove the larger rear seat. The rear seat is so much larger on the Ford crew cab (on order) I won’t need to remove the seat. For outside storage many FWC owners buy Aluminess rear bumpers/boxes. They are expensive but look very nice. AT Overland makes a holder to mount NATO style gas cans to the camper jack bracket.
I removed the rear seats and installed my doggie deck that I built. 2 dogs up top. Lots more room with seats removed. Then underneath doggie deck is quite a bit of storage

I am currently trying to get insurance figured out. It seems my current carrier does not do RV/truck camper insurance, saying I should get motorhome insurance and remove the Tremor from my current auto policy altogether. I also ran a quote online with Progressive just for the camper and they show the exact FWC model I am getting and I would probably buy it but not sure how/if it will affect my current auto policy. Asked my current provider about this and waiting for response.
Would love some feedback on what you guys do as far as insurance is concerned and any recommendations on what reputable carrier out there might cover both? Thanks.

Back