Tremor & Four Wheel Camper

Just put the Four Wheel Camper on my truck.

View attachment 1652
I can’t decide if Four Wheel Campers we’re made for Tremors or if Tremors were made for Four Wheel Campers? I think the Tremor is the perfect unmodified platform for an FWC. I ordered a F350 7.3 Tremor for my Hawk on Monday. Other than wiring for the camper I don’t think I’ll do a single modification.

My camper should be ready for pick up in six weeks or so. It looks great in your photo and its a bummer we will be missing most of the summer but looking forward to winter camping with the thermal pack and furnace.We did ask for the shower and toilet inside (must haves for the wife!) so I hope the truck still handles well with the added weight.

Are you still using it without modifications as it shows in your picture above? I've been thinking about how to add some extra storage outside but I won't really get anything until the camper arrives and I try it out for a while.

I’ve owned two FWCs since 2016. A Hawk Shell and a Hawk front dinette. Storage is an issue. I use mine a lot for long hunting trips and that often involves a lot of gear. My current truck is a 2011 Tundra double cab. For extra storage I remove the larger rear seat. The rear seat is so much larger on the Ford crew cab (on order) I won’t need to remove the seat. For outside storage many FWC owners buy Aluminess rear bumpers/boxes. They are expensive but look very nice. AT Overland makes a holder to mount NATO style gas cans to the camper jack bracket.

I’ve owned two FWCs since 2016. A Hawk Shell and a Hawk front dinette. Storage is an issue. I use mine a lot for long hunting trips and that often involves a lot of gear. My current truck is a 2011 Tundra double cab. For extra storage I remove the larger rear seat. The rear seat is so much larger on the Ford crew cab (on order) I won’t need to remove the seat. For outside storage many FWC owners buy Aluminess rear bumpers/boxes. They are expensive but look very nice. AT Overland makes a holder to mount NATO style gas cans to the camper jack bracket.
I saw the aluminess boxes on FWC CEO's truck when I visited them last month, those look great but I think you can't remove the camper unless you take them apart. It would be great if aluminess designs a swing arm that works with the camper jack brackets for extra support and make them easy to remove. I was planning on giving them a call as I heard they may accommodate custom requests like that and I'm sure they can probably market it to other FWC owners.

You won't have any need for storage on the crew cab, rear seat has tons of space and when you flip up the seats its a flat surface all the way across the cabin. I carry a couple of kids back there so I need to find some more storage outside.

I saw the aluminess boxes on FWC CEO's truck when I visited them last month, those look great but I think you can't remove the camper unless you take them apart. It would be great if aluminess designs a swing arm that works with the camper jack brackets for extra support and make them easy to remove. I was planning on giving them a call as I heard they may accommodate custom requests like that and I'm sure they can probably market it to other FWC owners.

You won't have any need for storage on the crew cab, rear seat has tons of space and when you flip up the seats its a flat surface all the way across the cabin. I carry a couple of kids back there so I need to find some more storage outside.

I am currently running the FWC Hawk side dinette on my tremor which sleeps my wife, two kids, a dog and myself. We use a North Shore hitch mount bike rack for 4 bikes & thinking about mounting our Thule box on the roof but storage has never really been an issue as we take a “light & fast” approach (and gear) borrowed from alpinism.

That said, I would love to find a small platform rack or basket that would fit over the truck cab in-front of the camper. Anyone seen anything that might work in such a small space?

Attachments

• 2304D1C5-9C75-4DCC-90D3-6A692BA4BEC1.jpeg
    2304D1C5-9C75-4DCC-90D3-6A692BA4BEC1.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 784
  • EA0829CD-0EF2-4FDA-B084-E67E23548A25.png
    EA0829CD-0EF2-4FDA-B084-E67E23548A25.png
    2 MB · Views: 789
  • 87A9482F-5501-4C5E-9EE9-7EBFF3D7D852.jpeg
    87A9482F-5501-4C5E-9EE9-7EBFF3D7D852.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 773
I am currently running the FWC Hawk side dinette on my tremor which sleeps my wife, two kids, a dog and myself. We use a North Shore hitch mount bike rack for 4 bikes & thinking about mounting our Thule box on the roof but storage has never really been an issue as we take a “light & fast” approach (and gear) borrowed from alpinism.

That said, I would love to find a small platform rack or basket that would fit over the truck cab in-front of the camper. Anyone seen anything that might work in such a small space?

You could probably adapt a small Jeep roof rack (like Smitty Defender 2’ x4’) or fab (or have welder do it depending on skill set) one to fit your exact specs.

FWCs sure are nice and pair extremely well with Tremors. That being said, the lead times for FWCs right now are obnoxious.... 6+ months I was quoted by a dealer.

In looking for an alternative offering I came across these guys https://overlandex.com and so far I'm impressed to the point that I will be demoing one on my truck soon. Lead times are 8 weeks right now from order date. Their Camp-X and Camp-HBE are super nice and both work really well with the Tremor's dimensions and specs.

Outside of just offering them in white at the moment, I don't see a downside vs the FWC.

Nice. The added weight doesn't seem to make it squat at all. Actually levels it out quite nicely. Was that fully loaded with water or without?
No water in the photo, that was just after they installed. Dry weight is just under 1600 lbs. Door sticker says 3050 lbs passenger + cargo payload so I think we should be fine when loaded.

It did level out nice and the ride is softer with the weight but I’m still getting used to it, you can feel the higher centered weight in the turns. I’ll try it out stock and see if I can get use to it.

Seemingly dumb question for ya'll... Looks like theres enough space on some of those campers to slide them forward a few inches to retain the tailgate and thus camera, and tailgate step if so equipped. Seams like it'd make a nice porch if so.

Is that not the case??

Cheers
~Alex

Seemingly dumb question for ya'll... Looks like theres enough space on some of those campers to slide them forward a few inches to retain the tailgate and thus camera, and tailgate step if so equipped. Seams like it'd make a nice porch if so.

Is that not the case??

Cheers
~Alex

Space from camper to the back of the bed is about one and a half inches, maybe two. Camper has spacer there to keep it from rubbing so it would not fit all the way to close the tailgate.

FWC sells a backup camera that you can install on the license plate or attach under the door, mine is on back order.

The bed as a porch would make it hard to exit the camper because the door is very low so coming out is easier to step down directly. I got the hitch step accessory and works pretty good (see photo).

we packed it up with all 20+6 gallons of water and stuff for one night and It didn’t squat any more, it stayed pretty leveled. I’d say for us, camper plus family of four, food, water and gear we are probably around 2300-2500 lbs.

F0D6338E-9BBB-4B5E-B4CF-3586EAD9D22E.jpeg

Picking up the Tremor this week. Feb/March will have Norweld flatbed and FWC Hawk installed. All these truck campers look awesome, congrats! look forward to joining the team!

Camper weighs about 1250 lbs. fully loaded so no suspension mods required. The F250 Tremor has an overload leaf that the regulary F250 doesn't. Handles great on and off road.
I'm finding a 'dry weight' of 1,075 lbs and a 'wet weight' of 1,827 lbs. for the Four Wheel Camper. Where di you come up with 1,250 lbs? Only ask as our Scout camper's (dry) weight will be 1,370 lbs. and I'd be interested in how the Tremor handles that load. We've purchased an air bag set up but have not yet installed it.

I can’t decide if Four Wheel Campers we’re made for Tremors or if Tremors were made for Four Wheel Campers? I think the Tremor is the perfect unmodified platform for an FWC. I ordered a F350 7.3 Tremor for my Hawk on Monday. Other than wiring for the camper I don’t think I’ll do a single modification.
Why add power in the bed versus using the pin connector near the hitch? (First time slide in truck camper owner, sorry for the dumb question.)

Why add power in the bed versus using the pin connector near the hitch? (First time slide in truck camper owner, sorry for the dumb question.)
The new 2021 f-150 has this option in the bed ..so maybe the 2022 Super Duties will have it. 7.2kW

1602698167477.png

We looked hard at FW Hawk, but at the end of the day the Bundutec will be a better option for us and they will customize to what we want, FW was unwilling or unable to do the mods we wanted. Plus we decised a hard side would be better in Grizzly Alaska...lol

I'm finding a 'dry weight' of 1,075 lbs and a 'wet weight' of 1,827 lbs. for the Four Wheel Camper. Where di you come up with 1,250 lbs? Only ask as our Scout camper's (dry) weight will be 1,370 lbs. and I'd be interested in how the Tremor handles that load. We've purchased an air bag set up but have not yet installed it.
Weight on these can be tricky. Options, model, etc. all play a factor. I weighed my truck with and without camper to get my number. Whatever it weighs, I can tell you there is no issue. On very rough terrain, the overload spring are engaged occasionally but do not flatten out. I am not concerned about it one bit.

Back