Trailer Hooks don’t fit.....

I use Rhino D-Ring shackles (on Amazon) rated at 42K# breaking strength. Even if I shave that in half by side loading them (21K#), these far exceed the strength of the 3/8” safety chains I’ve had or seen on most trailers.

I’m using the Rhino USA shackles as well now and safety wire the pins when in use. On a 2.5” hitch they go in the easiest this way. If you try to insert the pin from the front it will most likely bind. Also bring an adjustable wrench just in case they tighten up on you as they can be a pain to remove.
image.jpg

throw this into Amazon " CURT 81560 3/8-Inch Forged Steel Clevis Slip Hook with Safety Latch, 18,000 lbs, 1-In Opening " Order 2 of them - wait a few days and replace your tiny ones ..... :cool:

You'd think a standard approach would have been easier :)
I still can't figure out why they put the 3" receiver on any of these at all considering that the 2.5" receiver is rated for 3200# more than any 250/350 Tremor is rated to pull. Not to mention why did they nerf the tried-and-true 2.5" design in the process…

I still can't figure out why they put the 3" receiver on any of these at all considering that the 2.5" receiver is rated for 3200# more than any 250/350 Tremor is rated to pull. Not to mention why did they nerf the tried-and-true 2.5" design in the process…
Probably related to the HD tow package ? I would think - Google sems to agree"

The High Capacity Trailer upgrades adds lightweight Aluminum wheels with what Ford calls a “Polished Platinum” finish to the whole setup, as well as a rear axle upgrade and increased GCW. An F-250 without a trailer tow package comes with a standard 2 ½ inch receiver, while an upgraded truck uses a larger 3 inch receiver.

Probably related to the HD tow package ? I would think - Google sems to agree"

The High Capacity Trailer upgrades adds lightweight Aluminum wheels with what Ford calls a “Polished Platinum” finish to the whole setup, as well as a rear axle upgrade and increased GCW. An F-250 without a trailer tow package comes with a standard 2 ½ inch receiver, while an upgraded truck uses a larger 3 inch receiver.
Right. But has no functional purpose. (Doesn't increase bumper pull rating.) Seems like it's just for marketing/sales purposes.

Actually, I'm forgetting that there are non-Tremor F-250 / 350's. ? And that it's the Tremor that has the tow rating handicap. ? Looks like the non-Tremor configs would exceed the 2.5" hitch capacity. Makes some sense after all…

Actually, I'm forgetting that there are non-Tremor F-250 / 350's. ? And that it's the Tremor that has the tow rating handicap. ? Looks like the non-Tremor configs would exceed the 2.5" hitch capacity. Makes some sense after all…

Attachments

• 20210310_173230.jpg
    20210310_173230.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 97
You'd think a standard approach would have been easier :)
Yep, they standardized everything else between the Tremor models except the hitch. ?

I bought these:

Probably overkill, but they fit and are tight enough where they aren't moving around when I have them on the truck. I wanted the ability of taking them off the truck since I'm not towing all the time, which is why I didn't go the hammerlock route.

They fit the tow hooks upfront as well, so can serve as a beefy shackle if you need pulled out.
I tried the

Rhino USA D Ring Shackle and damnif I could barely get those in and when did they were so tight could hardly move them. Still trying different things as you guys throw so many ideas out there..Would be easier had Ford actually made a work truck with an actual good hitch setup. Go figure​

I tried the

Rhino USA D Ring Shackle and damnif I could barely get those in and when did they were so tight could hardly move them. Still trying different things as you guys throw so many ideas out there..Would be easier had Ford actually made a work truck with an actual good hitch setup. Go figure​

Did you look at putting them in the other way like I posted? They go in super easy.

edit: nvm I see you liked my post. ?

Cool. I'm heading to tractor supply tomorrow morning to figure out which chain hook fits the 2.5" receiver hitches. Need to nail this down for good.

Back