The Tremor Forum 6.7L Oil Thread!

What oil are you using or plan to use in your 6.7L?

• Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme Full Synthetic, $26.66/gal

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic, $20.98/gal

Votes: 59 69.4%
  • Chevron Delo Full Synthetic, $20.83/gal

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Mobil 1 Delvac Full Synthetic, $32.99/gal

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck Full Synthetic, $34.00/gal

Votes: 15 17.6%

• Total voters
Whatever Motorcraft oil Ford is currently recommending. When I looked into this for my 2015, it's cheaper to have the dealer change it than to buy the oil and filter and do it myself. You also get documentation that the oil was changed in case there are any warranty concerns. And I also learned it's important to visit the dealer to see if any recalls or updates are available. I'm out of town for work a lot, so I'll continue to push the easy button and have my wife take my truck to the dealer and get the oil changed so I don't have to deal with it during my limited time at home.

Whatever Motorcraft oil Ford is currently recommending. When I looked into this for my 2015, it's cheaper to have the dealer change it than to buy the oil and filter and do it myself. You also get documentation that the oil was changed in case there are any warranty concerns. And I also learned it's important to visit the dealer to see if any recalls or updates are available. I'm out of town for work a lot, so I'll continue to push the easy button and have my wife take my truck to the dealer and get the oil changed so I don't have to deal with it during my limited time at home.
Not sure what dealer you’re going to but that’s a first any dealer I’ve seen rapes the shit out of people for oil and fuel filter changes can usually do it myself for a fraction of what they want and be a hell of a lot cleaner about it than those fast lane slobs

10mm
Pass on the carbonated sugar water.
Motorcraft.

What ford says:
Makes sense, the same Ford Engineers that designed the truck and engine are going to have a vested interest in providing the best oil possible for performance, emissions and lower warranty costs by providing the most extensive testing process to come up with the absolute best engine oil for their products.

I’ll be using Fords Motorcraft full syn diesel oil and filter in mine for the best protection.

amazon just got the rotella in stock. 31$ a gallon!

rotella t6
I've gotten it on amazon around $20/gallon for T6 when I had my 6.0L MANY years ago. I'd never pay $31/gallon. The Delvac Syn. I got was $21/gallon at walmart.

Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40
deo1g-ca.jpg

With
Ford 6.7L Single-Remote Bypass System
Package Size: BMK33
bmk33.jpg

I've gotten it on amazon around $20/gallon for T6 when I had my 6.0L MANY years ago. I'd never pay $31/gallon. The Delvac Syn. I got was $21/gallon at walmart.
there is nothing on amazon in stock, and when it is..super $$$$

headed to costco to just get there 5w-30

Just to touch on what you said about not having any experience with the Shell lubricants. Rotella, was one of the 2 original and only motor oils that were developed specifically for Diesel engines over 20+ years ago. It has been a “Go-to” for my previous diesel motor and is our primary choice at my job where we manage over 150 stationary Diesel generators. Rotella was also one of the first to develop a Synthetic Diesel specific motor oil with their T6 formulation. In my personal truck I would either use Rotella or Amsoil full synthetic and had almost 400k miles on my original engine with no mechanical issues. I also use Rotella in my lawn equipment, and I use their Gasoline motor oil in my family members other cars since I do the oil changes in them.
I’ve seen some independent testing of Rotella motor oils and it is a great overall oil with the additive package that they use for friction reduction and contaminate dispersion.
I second this. A little anecdotal evidence: my long range ocean trawler's main engine is a Cummins 6CTA 8.3 approaching 7000 hours. It has seen nothing but Shell Rotella T4 since new. Not a single problem and numerous oil samples tested along the way, including the most recent, show stellar results. The same oil is used in my Northern Lights genset approaching 5000 hours, as well as my Yanmar wing engine. Same story for all 3 motors.

So...I'll be sticking with what has treated me well--Shell Rotella.

Oh yeah...Ford, Coke, 9mm!

Not sure what dealer you’re going to but that’s a first any dealer I’ve seen rapes the shit out of people for oil and fuel filter changes can usually do it myself for a fraction of what they want and be a hell of a lot cleaner about it than those fast lane slobs
Fuel filters I do myself because the dealer wants $300 to change them. I can change both in 10 minutes and the OEM filters are $50 on Amazon.

Oil and oil filter is a different story. The dealer can offer a lower price because they buy it in 55 gallon drums. Motorcraft 15W-40 diesel is $37/gallon on Amazon right now. $37*3 gallons = $111. Plus a $20 Motorcraft fitler = $131. Plus tax on parts and labor. I've never paid $140 for an oil change. So I'll continue to let the dealer do it.

I also don't enjoy having to deal with the used oil. The only places in town that take it are way down at the opposite end of town where I rarely go and are only open 8-5 M-F.

Latest Discussions

Back