Supplemental Cab Heater

I run for 10 mins and the can is very warm but I also have the temp set to 78 in the truck

My window sticker says I have it. Other than that, I would be no
My window sticker says I have it. Other than that, I would be none the wiser.

ne the wiser.
I agree, I have it and really dont see any difference. Not really sure it is working or not. If it is working it sure doesnt do much!

realistically the block heater isn't even needed unless you're -18*C (0*F)
It's a must have for people who live in very cold climates. It's nearly useless if you don't. It can help warm the coolant up which can speed up the climate control but these trucks have remote start so I don't see the point unless you live in a place where it's regularly below 0.

I had ordered both the block heater and supplemental heat on my truck but cancelled my order when I found a 99+% match on a local dealer's lot and swooped it up. It lacks both features. I live in SoCal so not an issue. If I move back to MA I'll add a block heater later.

Supp. cab heater would be nice but with a remote starting truck I don't think I'm missing much. I'd be interested to see how long it takes for the cab temp to get to a comfortable level on a really cold morning but I'd bet 15 mins of remote start idle time would be plenty. Coldest it gets here is around 30F at 5am. but usually not lower than 40.

The truck I ended up with had a sticker of 92565. I guess the buyer backed out so it fell into my lap. I can't understand why the dipshit that ordered this truck initially balked at $350 worth of good features.
Have you ever plugged in before?

Dude I plug it in when it’s 20 at our cabin in the mountains and I have the sup. heater.

it doesn’t need to be -10 to plug in and enjoy a warm truck when it’s super easy. Sunday when I drive down the mountain it’ll be plugged in while I load up and we’ll jump in and go.

When you remote start your truck the climate control heats it or cools it based on temperature.
Once you are in the truck and hit the start button the climate control goes back to whatever setting you have i.e auto or custom.
The supplemental heater is activated by pushing the face/chest vent button. It produces instant heat. I believe it operates until changed or until it reaches certain temps in the cab. It works awesome! Otherwise like others have said it can take 20 minutes to get up to temp to use engine heat.

Have you ever plugged in before?

Dude I plug it in when it’s 20 at our cabin in the mountains and I have the sup. heater.

it doesn’t need to be -10 to plug in and enjoy a warm truck when it’s super easy. Sunday when I drive down the mountain it’ll be plugged in while I load up and we’ll jump in and go.
Ok, hold it. The outside plug for the engine block warms up the inside of the cab? Or, are you saying the warm engine block makes the non-supplemental heat come on faster?

I did not order the $125 engine block heater.

Ok, hold it. The outside plug for the engine block warms up the inside of the cab? Or, are you saying the warm engine block makes the non-supplemental heat come on faster?

The engine block heater keeps the Block above freezing temp. It does this to help the engine start in extreme cold temps. If the engine already has a little heat behind it when it starts, there is a chance the heat will be felt quicker. The supplemental can heat is a separate unit, unrelated to the engine heat. The supplement allows for instantaneous heat in the cab before the block warms up.. like most are saying, it’s a no brainer for $350 to do the cab heat and engine block heater. But I live in the northeast. Gets cold up here. I added the snowplow prep also, tho I don’t plow. I figure these options will help resale in this part of the country .

Yes, when you plug in for an hour or two before starting your truck, it'll fire up and the temp gauge will be registering a decent amount of heat, enough where you don't need any warm-up and you can jump in and go. It's especially helpful when I have a full load in the dump trailer and I have a hill to climb as soon as I start my journey.

The engine block heater keeps the Block above freezing temp. It does this to help the engine start in extreme cold temps. If the engine already has a little heat behind it when it starts, there is a chance the heat will be felt quicker. The supplemental can heat is a separate unit, unrelated to the engine heat. The supplement allows for instantaneous heat in the cab before the block warms up.. like most are saying, it’s a no brainer for $350 to do the cab heat and engine block heater. But I live in the northeast. Gets cold up here. I added the snowplow prep also, tho I don’t plow. I figure these options will help resale in this part of the country .
I wanted to clarify. The Block heater keeps the Oil above freezing.

Attachments

• 8076BE8C-1E07-4A10-82FF-66DE64BAF569.jpeg
    8076BE8C-1E07-4A10-82FF-66DE64BAF569.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 61CAD06C-656A-4B29-A530-C9115093D7E8.jpeg
    61CAD06C-656A-4B29-A530-C9115093D7E8.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 307
I wanted to clarify. The Block heater keeps the Oil above freezing.
the block heater heats the coolant not the oil ... directly ... so when you install the block heated in the plug on the block you will lose all your coolant not oil, but yes indirectly it is heating the oil, but it is directly heating the coolant and when you start the truck the coolant go to the heater core and heat the cab quicker then if it wasn't plugged in so yes it does heat the cab quicker but it not the cab heater that is a heating element in the vents that heats up in 5 mins or so

Anytime past -23C i have it plugged in and the other day it was -32 C and 15 mins later it was super toasty in the truck and lol come Friday it is dropping down to -41 C

I have it and the cab is always warm after 10 minutes of idle. I haven’t had a -20F day yet to see how that goes. It’s February so that is comin soon...

Last edited:
Supplemental cab heater is one thing I wished I would have optioned for. But imo the block heater and grille cover works wonders for fast heat in Northern winters.

I've had the ol 6.0 F-250 in -50, plugged in with a grille cover, started right up and provided warm heat. Of course the more you drive the more heat blows.

If you idle a lot, the grille cover helps a lot!

I don't know how the supplemental heater works, for how long, under what settings, remote-start only or regular start-ups.... but after a trip to MT with temps around -7, the truck cab was very bearable after a 5-10min warmup. My previous Duramax we'd still be seeing our breath in the cab for a good 10 more minutes.

I don't know how the supplemental heater works, for how long, under what settings, remote-start only or regular start-ups.... but after a trip to MT with temps around -7, the truck cab was very bearable after a 5-10min warmup. My previous Duramax we'd still be seeing our breath in the cab for a good 10 more minutes.

Yep, mine worked great when it got down to 9 degrees in Texas, so I am glad I added it to my order. The heated seats, heated steering wheel and aux heat really kept us warm...

Does anyone know how to tell if the truck has it?

I don‘t have the window sticker.

Does anyone know how to tell if the truck has it?

I don‘t have the window sticker.
One way is to wait for it to be cold (below 40). Start the truck and use the climate manually and put it on chest vent. You should get hot air within a minute or two. This is how I use my auxiliary heat.

Its a standard option i believe in Canada, I didn't specifically add it, but it is on my window sticker(and a "NO CHARGE" option). Looking forward to it now.

Latest Discussions

Back