S&B 60 gallon fuel tank

When S&B was asked directly as to the installation of the tank without the check valve this was their reply "Yes, it would help the filling at truck stops, but the pump may "spit" once filling is complete without the check valve."

Has anyone actually removed the check valve or installed the tank without it? Did you experience a "spit" when full?

JaC
I know this dosent answer your question, but I chose to leave it in with my s&b install. Safety devices have a purpose, although I don't plan on going inverted in my truck, accidents are called what they are as it's an unplanned event. For myself a little extra time filling up isn't a issue

I know this dosent answer your question, but I chose to leave it in with my s&b install. Safety devices have a purpose, although I don't plan on going inverted in my truck, accidents are called what they are as it's an unplanned event. For myself a little extra time filling up isn't a issu

I know this dosent answer your question, but I chose to leave it in with my s&b install. Safety devices have a purpose, although I don't plan on going inverted in my truck, accidents are called what they are as it's an unplanned event. For myself a little extra time filling up isn't a issue
Are you able to use the Truck Stop fuel stations without too many issues? ALL of my fill ups with the 5er are at truck stops. It would make towing extremely difficult without the ability to use truck stops.

JaC

Are you able to use the Truck Stop fuel stations without too many issues? ALL of my fill ups with the 5er are at truck stops. It would make towing extremely difficult without the ability to use truck stops.

JaC
Yes - you can use truck stop pumps but you just can’t use it wide open. Anything past the first click on the handle and it will shut off the pump.

Yes - you can use truck stop pumps but you just can’t use it wide open. Anything past the first click on the handle and it will shut off the pump.
I had the shop remove my check valve before install and I don't have any splash back.

I had the shop remove my check valve before install and I don't have any splash back.
Are you able to run the truck stop fuel pumps wide open without any issues?

Has anyone else installed on a 2023 yet? I put the S&B 60 gallon on my 23 F350 and DTE is not accurate when I fill up.

After I completed my installation of my new 60 gallon fuel tank I was able to input 59.5 gallons of diesel. I used ForScan to reset my tank size on my 2023 F350 but was surprised to only see my mileage show around 750 miles to empty. As I drove the miles dropped some but then would stay in the 700 range. Through the 600 range miles dropped and then increased some and then drop again. Long story short I have just refueled for the 3rd time and my truck after filling to the max shows 753 miles to empty. I have not reset my mpg calculation since my last full up and it is reading 16.8 mpg. So I struggle to figure out how 753 mi to E is figured. It should be around 1000 mi to E. Any suggestions? I did check with S&B and they said there are some issues resetting 23s but once they have ez link programmed for it, they would send me a device. If I have ForScan I don’t really see why I would need the EZ Link but maybe I need to go into the as built section to make changes.

Here is pic of dash when I filled up the 3rd time.
IMG_5486.jpeg

Has anyone else installed on a 2023 yet? I put the S&B 60 gallon on my 23 F350 and DTE is not accurate when I fill up.

After I completed my installation of my new 60 gallon fuel tank I was able to input 59.5 gallons of diesel. I used ForScan to reset my tank size on my 2023 F350 but was surprised to only see my mileage show around 750 miles to empty. As I drove the miles dropped some but then would stay in the 700 range. Through the 600 range miles dropped and then increased some and then drop again. Long story short I have just refueled for the 3rd time and my truck after filling to the max shows 753 miles to empty. I have not reset my mpg calculation since my last full up and it is reading 16.8 mpg. So I struggle to figure out how 753 mi to E is figured. It should be around 1000 mi to E. Any suggestions? I did check with S&B and they said there are some issues resetting 23s but once they have ez link programmed for it, they would send me a device. If I have ForScan I don’t really see why I would need the EZ Link but maybe I need to go into the as built section to make changes.

View attachment 125639
How old is your version of forscan? I had a hard time when I first installed the tank on my ‘22. It was December of 2021. Had to email back and forth with forscan techs a few times describing the issues and eventually they sent me a new version to download and the tank size update finally worked.

View attachment 125639

Did you also update the fuel sensor component? I'm not sure about the 23's, but that was required for the 21.

How old is your version of forscan? I had a hard time when I first installed the tank on my ‘22. It was December of 2021. Had to email back and forth with forscan techs a few times describing the issues and eventually they sent me a new version to download and the tank size update finally worked.
At first I could not even connect to my truck with ForScan but @ZooDad helped me get that sorted and I was able to connect. It definitely reprogrammed because I went from around 540 mi to E with the old 34 gallon tank to now 753 mi to E with the 60 gallon. But it’s as if it doesn’t necessarily think the tank is completely full after a fill up.

Did you also update the fuel sensor component? I'm not sure about the 23's, but that was required for the 21.
I assume that’s the step to change from PCM to IPC? I did that step originally but once I changed that it showed my DTE to be 0 and my tank read as empty. So I changed it back to the original PCM. I’m not exactly sure what this change is actually changing…but maybe this is the problem for the 2023s. Maybe the coding in the computer is different than previous models and ForScan has to sort out what that is.

I have had a Titan fuel tank for over 2 years in my '21. I can let 'er rip filling full speed from any pump and it shuts off when about 1.5 gallons from being full.

Just for grins, I have timed gallons per minute at several regular pumps and truck stop high flow pumps.

On the average for several different pumps that I have timed, regular pumps flow around 5 gallons per minute. Some as slow as 4 gpm. On the other hand, the truck stop high flow pumps dispense at an average of 15 gallons per minute.

When I bought the Titan tank I was aware of the issue with not being able to use high flow pumps (from an associate that works with me) and that is why I went with the Titan. It is only 55 gallons -vs- 60 but 55 gallons gets me about 1,000 miles (if I am not towing).

I made the change for the tank capacity in Forscan and have adjusted my "lie-o-meter" in my truck to match my calculated mpg. If you do not do both of these items, your miles to empty will not be accurate.

IMG_9030.jpg

Last edited:
I have had a Titan fuel tank for over 2 years in my '21. I can let 'er rip filling full speed from any pump and it shuts off when about 1.5 gallons from being full.

Just for grins, I have timed gallons per minute at several regular pumps and truck stop high flow pumps.

On the average for several different pumps that I have timed, regular pumps flow around 5 gallons per minute. Some as slow as 4 gpm. On the other hand, the truck stop high flow pumps dispense at an average of 15 gallons per minute.

When I bought the Titan tank I was aware of the issue with not being able to use high flow pumps (from an associate that works with me) and that is why I went with the Titan. It is only 55 gallons -vs- 60 but 55 gallons gets me about 1,000 miles (if I am not towing).

I made the change for the tank capacity in Forscan and have adjusted my "lie-o-meter" in my truck to match my calculated mpg. If you do not do both of these items, your miles to empty will not be accurate.

View attachment 125640
I love seeing 1000+ to DTE !!!

ZooDad

View attachment 125640
How did you adjust your lie-o-meter? Just want to compare and see if I did it right. Mine still only shows 845ish mi to E.

How did you adjust your lie-o-meter? Just want to compare and see if I did it right. Mine still only shows 845ish mi to E.
Same here, mine shows 755ish when I fill up, I have seen it climb up to 800ish as I drive it but I wish it would show accurate from the time I filled up which should read 1000 or more.

Same here, mine shows 755ish when I fill up, I have seen it climb up to 800ish as I drive it but I wish it would show accurate from the time I filled up which should read 1000 or more.
It all depends on the mpg your truck has calculated prior to a fill up. That said, mine has always been in the 900's. But it has also been as high as 1100+. More times than not it will read 1000+.

It all depends on the mpg your truck has calculated prior to a fill up. That said, mine has always been in the 900's. But it has also been as high as 1100+. More times than not it will read 1000+.
My last fill up mpg read 16.8 (had not been reset for a long time). 16.8 x 60 = 1008, but my DTE read 753 after filling up. There has gotta be something else in ForScan that needs to be changed to make this read correctly on the MY23.

You need to insure that your average mpg is accurate -vs- the actual computed mpg. The program that gives you your miles to empty "appears" (I do not know for sure) uses this to compute the miles to empty.

This is a video on how to correct your mpg to be more accurate to your actual calculated useage. I had to tweak mine a couple of times to get it to be really close using my calculated mpg from several fill ups.

I too have seen my miles to empty increase/decrease after filling up but it is normally due to changing my driving from city to highway where the truck gets better/worse milage. It seems to be calculating on the fly as you use fuel based on the driving that you are doing but seems to start out (when you fill up) using your previous average mpg.

There is no way that your miles to empty when you first fill up will be exactly correct to when you will need fuel as your mpg will vary during the 1000 or so miles that you are driving on that tank.

But I will say that after adjusting my mpg, my miles to empty is pretty darn close as you start getting to the bottom of the tank.

You need to insure that your average mpg is accurate -vs- the actual computed mpg. The program that gives you your miles to empty "appears" (I do not know for sure) uses this to compute the miles to empty.

This is a video on how to correct your mpg to be more accurate to your actual calculated useage. I had to tweak mine a couple of times to get it to be really close using my calculated mpg from several fill ups.

I too have seen my miles to empty increase/decrease after filling up but it is normally due to changing my driving from city to highway where the truck gets better/worse milage. It seems to be calculating on the fly as you use fuel based on the driving that you are doing but seems to start out (when you fill up) using your previous average mpg.

There is no way that your miles to empty when you first fill up will be exactly correct to when you will need fuel as your mpg will vary during the 1000 or so miles that you are driving on that tank.

But I will say that after adjusting my mpg, my miles to empty is pretty darn close as you start getting to the bottom of the tank.
I concour 💯 %!

The DTE is a calculated value based on yet another calculated value, the avg fuel economy. The avg fuel economy number shown on the trip screen is a running avg since the last reset. If you reset at 60 mph right after a fill up, your DTE should reflect 600+ miles on a factory tank. DTE will often go up as you drive more efficiently. If I’m pulling a trailer for a couple hundred miles and unhook and drive some hwy miles, the DTE will go up for a while and will be the same as when I unhooked a couple hundred miles down the road.

Back