Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount

I got to actually use my RC winch for the first time a couple weeks ago after installation probably 9 months ago. When I was plugging in the controller I had flashbacks of reading posts about guys using your factory winches for the first time and they didn’t work….. and you know what? The RC winch worked perfectly and pulls hard. It did exactly what I asked it to do. For you guys on the fence about the RC winch, I would go for it.

Did someone say "Warren Zevon"??

Oh, shoot, thought I was in the "Music" thread... Carry on with the winch discussion. :p
You thread-hijacker you. Bad, bad, bad 🤪

Reactions: MVI
Didn't take any pictures.

The updated kit is what I received, I'd assume they would send you the same thing.

Everything fits with clearance, but you do NEED to change out the winch top plate to the "Tie Rods"
Warn #86473 for proper function.

Overall, I think this is better than the OEM Warn kit. Waterproof/more service parts available/more rope length. The drum release handle is bigger and easier to use. And Most importantly, The remote is integrated and doesn't need a dongle plugged in.

Oh, and it's about 1k cheaper
Where did you find the Warn 86473 tie rod kit? Can't find it anywhere online. Maybe I'll call a dealer tomorrow.

Where did you find the Warn 86473 tie rod kit? Can't find it anywhere online. Maybe I'll call a dealer tomorrow.
To answer my own question, and hopefully help someone else. The Warn VR12000 tie rods are 8.92". Warn P/N 32408 (single), and P/N 98279 (two) are both this length. Only difference is they are raw aluminum instead of black.

Finally got bored enough to take my bumper off again. Zeon 12s mounted. Had to do some small stuff to the plate but not much. Also had to make new tie rods and trim the edges of the bumper opening about 1/2” on each side. Used the spacers from ouo to move the bumper 3/4” forward. It’s definitely shoe horned in there but they all are.

Wiring worked out perfectly, control box is behind the fog light. Used controller plug extension And put the plug behind the coolant reservoir.

IMG_2366.jpeg
IMG_2373.jpeg
IMG_2375.jpeg

IMG_2408.jpeg
IMG_2401.jpeg
IMG_2406.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2370.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2374.jpeg
    IMG_2374.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Finally got bored enough to take my bumper off again. Zeon 12s mounted.

View attachment 152316
How is the fitment? Did you have to modify anything? I’d like to go with the Zeon for my ‘22 just wasn’t sure if it would fit since it’s longer than the evo

How is the fitment? Did you have to modify anything? I’d like to go with the Zeon for my ‘22 just wasn’t sure if it would fit since it’s longer than the evo
I edited my post with more info. I’d stick with the evo or rough country unless you are comfortable modifying stuff.

I'm taking a gamble and bought the Rough Country tray, and after taking measurements of it once it came in, I ordered a Sherpa Steed 17k winch. I believe that with some slight modification to the tray, the winch should fit. If not, then I'll buy a welder and will learn some welding. I looked at Superwinch, Sherpa, ComeUp, Bulldog, and more, but for a winch at least 15k, the Sherpa seemed to be the only that could be a potential contender with this tray.

That said, if someone is looking for a quality 12.5k winch, I believe that the ComeUp Seal 12k Slim would fit with no modification. That's just from their published specs and taking measurements from my tray. However, ComeUp is a foot-forward mounted winch, so they don't recommend mounting it like it would be in the RC's winch tray.

I've never had a Sherpa winch before, but once it gets in, I'll try to document whatever modifications to the tray are needed for it to work, if it's even doable.

That said, any idea on their delivery ETA to the US?

Has anyone installed the Harbor Freight Apex winch on the Rough Country hidden winch mount? Trying to get this installed today and could use some guidance on how to get the winch to fit. I'm assuming that the control box need to be relocated, but would be great to know where people put it or what else they did to get this to work.

Has anyone installed the Harbor Freight Apex winch on the Rough Country hidden winch mount? Trying to get this installed today and could use some guidance on how to get the winch to fit. I'm assuming that the control box need to be relocated, but would be great to know where people put it or what else they did to get this to work.
Post in thread 'Factory Winch Electrical Failure'
https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/factory-winch-electrical-failure.9010/post-349880

So I got the Sherpa Steed 17k winch delivered today and immediately threw it on the RC winch tray to see what I would need to cut to make it all fit.

The damn thing fits perfectly between the mounts, with about 2mm of play. However, the mounting holes are off by an inch or so, so I now how 2 options...

1. Drill 4 new mounting holes 1" away from the factory tray holes.
  2. Cut 1" off the brackets on the side to keep the winch mounted to the intended RC winch location.

What do y'all think?

signal-2024-05-03-143148_002.jpeg

signal-2024-05-03-143223_002.jpeg

signal-2024-05-03-143256_002.jpeg

signal-2024-05-03-143406_002.jpeg

So I got the Sherpa Steed 17k winch delivered today and immediately threw it on the RC winch tray to see what I would need to cut to make it all fit.

The damn thing fits perfectly between the mounts, with about 2mm of play. However, the mounting holes are off by an inch or so, so I now how 2 options...

1. Drill 4 new mounting holes 1" away from the factory tray holes.
  2. Cut 1" off the brackets on the side to keep the winch mounted to the intended RC winch location.

What do y'all think?

View attachment 154761
View attachment 154762
View attachment 154763
View attachment 154764
I haven't installed a winch yet so I don't know how this mounts up and what kind of space you have on the bottom or top of the main plate. Would it be possible to weld another flat plate on top or on the bottom so as not to weaken the plate by drilling another set of holes, I don't know if it would weaken it or not. If you had room by adding another plate welded on and used longer bolts for the other parts would that work? I don't know, just thinking...

I haven't installed a winch yet so I don't know how this mounts up and what kind of space you have on the bottom or top of the main plate. Would it be possible to weld another flat plate on top or on the bottom so as not to weaken the plate by drilling another set of holes, I don't know if it would weaken it or not. If you had room by adding another plate welded on and used longer bolts for the other parts would that work? I don't know, just thinking...

That is something that I'm going to do at some point; increase the strength of this by welding some support pieces.

I actually opted to drill the holes. Measuring it out, I'd have to cut 3/4" from the flanges on the sides, which would remove much of that support, and even then, it'd be a tight fit.

Next steps:
  • Wait for the rain to stop
  • Deburr the new mounting holes
  • Grind a sliver off of the side flanges so that there's no chance of them wearing into the winch case
  • Drill new holes into the Y support bracket to match the new mounting holes in the tray
  • Apply some black primer

signal-2024-05-03-164822_002.jpeg

It’s going to throw off your fairlead alignment but not a big deal I guess. I’d be more worried about the clutch lever access with it pushed over. Hopefully you’ll be able to get to it. Also if you can clock your motor 180° it might be helpful to keep the wiring out of the way of the bumper.

It’s going to throw off your fairlead alignment but not a big deal I guess. I’d be more worried about the clutch lever access with it pushed over. Hopefully you’ll be able to get to it. Also if you can clock your motor 180° it might be helpful to keep the wiring out of the way of the bumper.
The funny thing is that the fairlead already appears to be offset some with the RC winch. Shifting it a little bit will hopeful pose to much of a problem. I'll have a closer look when it's all mounted up to see if anything else needs to be done, or can be done.

Not sure what part you’re looking at but with the standard rough country bolt holes with the rc12000 and zeon 12 the drum is directly centered behind the fairlead.

Not sure what part you’re looking at but with the standard rough country bolt holes with the rc12000 and zeon 12 the drum is directly centered behind the fairlead.
Is the fairlead off center then on the truck?
Either way, I think 3/4" should be ok if that's all the offset is.

Latest Discussions

Back