Rail Car Tracking

Great resource. Thank you for doing this! I got my railcar info from Ford Chat. I did have to make an adjustment for my Apple phone by adding an extra comma between each number group so in the example above it would be 1(800)235-2352,,1,,,81814192,,,,991571,,,,##. Sharing in case it's not working for some.

Damn good info. I tried the original way and found out like you there weren't quite enough pauses on an iphone lol. Thanks for posting this!
 
Is there anyone out there that can provide a rail car number with a VIN? Let me know if you can help a friend. She received a Ford e-mail notice that their Hybrid Maverick is built and the dealer will not share the rail car number so she can track it. I'm going to have her try Ford Chat but want a back-up plan.

This is the same dealer that my son got his Maverick from. They wouldn't share his either and said they would tell us when it got there. We tracked his and knew when it got to the dealer. They claimed they didn't have it and had it up for sale with a $12,500 ADM. We showed them we knew they had it and bought it at X-Plan which was the original agreement. When we were there one of the salesman noted they had a waiting list and sold them with the mark-up if a customer did not pick it up within 72 hours of dealer delivery. Sure this was last Spring and prices have cooled but she's still worried about getting burned.
 
Is there anyone out there that can provide a rail car number with a VIN? Let me know if you can help a friend. She received a Ford e-mail notice that their Hybrid Maverick is built and the dealer will not share the rail car number so she can track it. I'm going to have her try Ford Chat but want a back-up plan.

This is the same dealer that my son got his Maverick from. They wouldn't share his either and said they would tell us when it got there. We tracked his and knew when it got to the dealer. They claimed they didn't have it and had it up for sale with a $12,500 ADM. We showed them we knew they had it and bought it at X-Plan which was the original agreement. When we were there one of the salesman noted they had a waiting list and sold them with the mark-up if a customer did not pick it up within 72 hours of dealer delivery. Sure this was last Spring and prices have cooled but she's still worried about getting burned.
I got mine from Ford chat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: VB!
Where the hell is the option for Ford Chat. I called them and the lady is completely clueless and says there is no tracking number, but tells me my truck is in chicago
 
Where the hell is the option for Ford Chat. I called them and the lady is completely clueless and says there is no tracking number, but tells me my truck is in chicago
Your dealer sales manager has it as well. I would call ford customer support and ask. If in Chicago they have a rail car number.
 
I got mine from Ford chat.
Yep. Ford Chat on their web page was the way to go. She didn't even know why she was asking for or why but was able to send me a screen shot of what they wrote to her. Now she's got the Union Pacific phone number in speed dial.
 
My truck was loaded onto a rail car last week I reached out to my dealer and got the rail car number so I could use use the CSX phone tracking. I called in and went through the voice prompt process to check status. It worked great that being said I hate using voice response systems. I build stuff like this for a living so decided to call a few times to figure how I could create a speed dial on my I phone so all I have to do is push one button and wait without having to speak a single word. Thought others may appreciate this so thought I would share.

For my rail car TTGX 991571 the speed dial looks like this.

(800) 235-2352,1,,81814192,,,991571,,,##

Had to listen to the prompts a few times and do some trial and error with the pauses but I have confirmed this works.

To create your own speed dial replace the 819114192 with your info. To get this info you will need to press the number that contains the letter in your rail car info. T would be 81 as the T is the first letter on the 8 key. 991571 is the number portion of the rail car info.



Do not change the commas or #’s just replace the rail car info.
Lol…yea…here’s the good part…at some point for whatever reason you will lose track of where the car is at…. Then weeks later it might show up at a rail yard somewhere close to the region you order the truck…then it will sit forever how long for a truck to pick it up and drop it off at the dealership. Enjoy the final part the 💩show of how this process of ordering a truck can be..
 
Has anyone gotten a rail car number from Ford lately? My dealer said they cannot see it and Ford Chat told me they are no longer giving that information out due to problems they had with people showing up at rail yards.

I'm wondering if if I need to keep trying.
 
Has anyone gotten a rail car number from Ford lately? My dealer said they cannot see it and Ford Chat told me they are no longer giving that information out due to problems they had with people showing up at rail yards.

I'm wondering if if I need to keep trying.
I seem to recall some info about dealers changing from the Vehicle Visibility Report to something else. Possibly they don't get the same info stream through that??
 
I got a rail car number today but it had something unexpected. From Ford Chat.

"Railcar #TTGX702640 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) from Ramp 8P, Shelbyville, Mc, KY."

Anyone know how to track something that originates on Norfolk Southern?

Tracking on CSX is pretty easy. I never tried anything that originated on Norfolk Southern. Their web page seems to require a log in. I thought everything originated on CSX but CSX's last status has the car released to customer in October so that does not appear to be so.

From their web page.

Monitoring Shipments​

AccessNS provides secure web-based customer service applications to registered customers. For information about these applications, contact Customer Service at [email protected] or 800-635-5768.
Visit AccessNS
 
I got a rail car number today but it had something unexpected. From Ford Chat.

"Railcar #TTGX702640 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) from Ramp 8P, Shelbyville, Mc, KY."

Anyone know how to track something that originates on Norfolk Southern?

Tracking on CSX is pretty easy. I never tried anything that originated on Norfolk Southern. Their web page seems to require a log in. I thought everything originated on CSX but CSX's last status has the car released to customer in October so that does not appear to be so.

From their web page.

Monitoring Shipments​

AccessNS provides secure web-based customer service applications to registered customers. For information about these applications, contact Customer Service at [email protected] or 800-635-5768.
Visit AccessNS
You should be able use the CSX touchtone phone tracking for the other carriers the rail car transfers to. At least that worked for previous model years...
 
You should be able use the CSX touchtone phone tracking for the other carriers the rail car transfers to. At least that worked for previous model years..
I was told for that to work it to start out on CSX. This one started out on Norfolk Sothern. I was told they all started out on CSX but that is apparently not the case anymore.

Here is what CSX has to say. Call it. (800) 235-2352 ,,,1,,81814192,,,702640,,,##

They released it October 6.
 
I was told they all started out on CSX but that is apparently not the case anymore.
Yep that used to be the case but I suppose things change... Bummer
 
Yep that used to be the case but I suppose things change... Bummer
I found this for Norfolk Southern. If someone else ends up on them they can try it too. Call (800) 635-5768 and follow the prompts.

The car Ford gave me, TTGX702640, should be this. +1 (800) 635-5768 ,,,,,,2,,,,2,,,,8849#,,,702640#,,,,1. It's currently returning no status but makes it's way through the prompts. I'll try again in a day or two.

#Jolagues explained how to get through the prompts by setting up a speed dial and now I'm hooked trying to figure it out.
 
Updated December 2023 CSX Railcar tracker speed dial - for me more options were available on the automated service, so additional speed dial characters were required to make it work.

I'll insert my speed dial code below (you may wish to add a comma here or there especially if you have a slower connection, I used the absolute minimum number of pauses on my speed dial).

My vehicle was on a BNSF railcar but apparently multiple rail companies use the CSX tracker service regardless of company or rail line.

Speed Dial: 1-877-744-7279,2,1,3,,1,(alpha code for rail company),,,(rail car number),,,##

For my particular vehicle, the rail car was "BNSF301125" That translates to:

1-877-744-7279,2,1,3,,1,22627433,,,301125,,,##

The "##" tells the automated service that you have no more rail car numbers to add - you are done with your entry.

Add commas here and there if your phone system needs a longer pause. The above was optimized for maximum speed on my phone system. The call would go through 9 times out of 10.

TIP: This speed dial seems to work best if you mute your phone mic pick-up. The automated system apparently listens for audio responses. Sometimes my call would go "sidewise" if the phone microphone picked up background voices despite using the keypad for selecting options.

Once you have the speed dial set up it is kind of fun to call every few hours to see where the train goes. Half the locations are names that don't show up on maps or lists of cities - but if you have the time and are REALLY curious you can go online and find a listing of rail yard names by state.
 
Updated December 2023 CSX Railcar tracker speed dial - for me more options were available on the automated service, so additional speed dial characters were required to make it work.

I'll insert my speed dial code below (you may wish to add a comma here or there especially if you have a slower connection, I used the absolute minimum number of pauses on my speed dial).

My vehicle was on a BNSF railcar but apparently multiple rail companies use the CSX tracker service regardless of company or rail line.

Speed Dial: 1-877-744-7279,2,1,3,,1,(alpha code for rail company),,,(rail car number),,,##

For my particular vehicle, the rail car was "BNSF301125" That translates to:

1-877-744-7279,2,1,3,,1,22627433,,,301125,,,##

The "##" tells the automated service that you have no more rail car numbers to add - you are done with your entry.

Add commas here and there if your phone system needs a longer pause. The above was optimized for maximum speed on my phone system. The call would go through 9 times out of 10.

TIP: This speed dial seems to work best if you mute your phone mic pick-up. The automated system apparently listens for audio responses. Sometimes my call would go "sidewise" if the phone microphone picked up background voices despite using the keypad for selecting options.

Once you have the speed dial set up it is kind of fun to call every few hours to see where the train goes. Half the locations are names that don't show up on maps or lists of cities - but if you have the time and are REALLY curious you can go online and find a listing of rail yard names by state.
I just did it from memory. Kept me from spamming them as much😜
 
Back
Top Bottom